Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4
Wolf probably started that due in no small part because he got burned by 5' 10" Terrell Buckley with the 5th overall pick in 1992.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw that. I also thought it was interesting to read that the punt return for a TD he had against Cincy in his rookie year, probably his most memorable play as a Packer, was the only TD he ever scored on a punt return in his career.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Oakland released Crabtree. Wonder if GB will kick the tires on him?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Reportedly $13 mil guaranteed from the Raiders for Jordy.

The Packers really liked Crabtree back when he was drafted, and there was a lot of chatter about them considering taking him rather than Raji. Obviously they didn't, but it'd be interesting to see if they talk now.

Oakland released Crabtree. Wonder if GB will kick the tires on him?

This makes no sense to me. Crabtree's cap hit was only $6.5 million and he had decent production this past year. The Raiders essentially got older and slower for more money.

I'm not sure why people are putting Jordy out to pasture. The adage of getting rid of someone a year early rather than a year late fits. But its not like he dropped off a cliff. You can't catch the ball when your QB isn't throwing you the ball.

I'm not sure why people are putting Jordy out to pasture. The adage of getting rid of someone a year early rather than a year late fits. But its not like he dropped off a cliff. You can't catch the ball when your QB isn't throwing you the ball.

Along those same lines, a QB can't throw you the ball if you get absolutely no separation. And that's where Jordy is. His speed is shot. It was shot in 2016, but Rodgers continued to feed him by getting him the ball on scramble drills and throwing him open. Hundley obviously doesn't have near that ability, hence Jordy's decreased numbers.

When receivers lose it, it typically happens quick. Could Jordy squeeze out a couple more seasons as a security blanket possession guy? Probably. But his days as a star, and even his days as an above average player, are done. And that sucks to admit, because I have been a huge Jordy fan for years.

It's also worth noting that when the Packers decide to move on from an aging veteran, it rarely bites them. James Jones (the first time)? Greg Jennings? Josh Sitton? All went on to do very little outside the organization. Where we've been bit recently is younger guys like Hayward and Hyde who they weren't willing to pay what their value was in the open market. Deciding to move on from older players, though, has generally been the right decision based on their production thereafter.

It's also worth noting that when the Packers decide to move on from an aging veteran, it rarely bites them. James Jones (the first time)? Greg Jennings? Josh Sitton? All went on to do very little outside the organization. Where we've been bit recently is younger guys like Hayward and Hyde who they weren't willing to pay what their value was in the open market. Deciding to move on from older players, though, has generally been the right decision based on their production thereafter.

It didn't get the vitriol that cutting Nelson did, but I remember fans being upset when Eddie Lacy signed with Seattle last year. Ted Thompson decided that Lacy was done, and Lacy proved it by looking like he was running uphill in sand behind Seattle's line.

I get why people are upset that Nelson is gone. He was by all accounts a team leader and great locker room guy. But he looked completely done last year, and it wasn't just because of the downgrade at QB. And the "really really low-balled" article in the JS yesterday was a very one-sided unfair article who's only purpose was to get clicks and rile up the casual fan that likes to complain about the Packers. The Packers offered Jordy a contract of about $2.5 million, which at this point is roughly what he's worth. Just like free agency ideals are changing in baseball, they are changing in football as well. No longer are GMs paying players on past production. It's about what they can offer in the future.

Is there a chance that Jordy proves me wrong and lives up to his contract in Oakland. Yes. But I think the chances of that are very slim. I think trading out Crabtree for Nelson is a big downgrade for Oakland, and they'll see it soon enough.

They have roughly $25MM in cap space (after Jordy was cut), not including Graham/Wilkerson since we don't have those details yet. Them there's the call it $9MM they'll need for rookie class. So figure around $16MM left.

Plus, there's always the option of cutting Cobb or Matthews which would free up $10MM each. I doubt they cut either, but you never know.

Packers draft class will cost around $8M in "cash" to sign, but only half of that will likely impact the salary cap. Only the top 51 salaries are considered for cap purposes, so those guys signing after the 3rd round are basically making the same dollars as your lowest-salaried guys currently on the top 51.

Not sure what they'll do with Cobb, but I'd rather see them extend Matthews than cut him. Hasn't been much activity in FA on EDGE players, and LB salaries are down compared to CB (right now would be a really bad time to have a good young CB you'd want to extend, with these 8-figure per year deals being handed out to that position group). Could free up some cap space with a 2-3 year extension and see what he can do in this defense.

Gruber Lawffices

They have roughly $25MM in cap space (after Jordy was cut), not including Graham/Wilkerson since we don't have those details yet. Them there's the call it $9MM they'll need for rookie class. So figure around $16MM left.

Plus, there's always the option of cutting Cobb or Matthews which would free up $10MM each. I doubt they cut either, but you never know.

Packers draft class will cost around $8M in "cash" to sign, but only half of that will likely impact the salary cap. Only the top 51 salaries are considered for cap purposes, so those guys signing after the 3rd round are basically making the same dollars as your lowest-salaried guys currently on the top 51.

Not sure what they'll do with Cobb, but I'd rather see them extend Matthews than cut him. Hasn't been much activity in FA on EDGE players, and LB salaries are down compared to CB (right now would be a really bad time to have a good young CB you'd want to extend, with these 8-figure per year deals being handed out to that position group). Could free up some cap space with a 2-3 year extension and see what he can do in this defense.

No, it's not the cash signing bonus. That $8MM+ is the cap hit. That's according to Sportrac at least, that's the only source I know. Lowest salaried guys will be the undrafted FA, they won't count on the cap. But yea, that sounded like a high number to me but that's what Sportrac is estimating.

No, it's not the cash signing bonus. That $8MM+ is the cap hit. That's according to Sportrac at least, that's the only source I know. Lowest salaried guys will be the undrafted FA, they won't count on the cap. But yea, that sounded like a high number to me but that's what Sportrac is estimating.

You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the signing bonus, I was talking about what their cap number CALCULATED vs what ACTUALLY hits the salary cap. I can assure you that $9.3M estimated by Spotrac isn't going to be the cap hit. The cap calculation only takes the top 51 cap numbers into consideration.

Based on the numbers on Spotrac (haven't checked Over The Cap but I prefer OTC), only their first 6 draft picks would count towards the cap since final 6 picks would not make enough money to crack the top 51 salaries, and the 6 draft picks that do count would replace players currently in the calculation. The first 6 draft picks are estimated to count $6,264,226 towards the cap, and would replace 6 players currently making $480,000 against the cap calc ($2,880,000) meaning the project ACTUAL salary cap impact of signing their draft class is estimated to be $3,384,226 - much less than $9.3M.

Gruber Lawffices

Apparently packers signed Kyle Fuller to an offer sheet. Bears have opportunity to match. That's a shocker. Scouts loved him coming out but he's been hurt a lot. Was good last year. Packers might just be driving the cost up for the bears which is fine by me.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I expect the Bears to match, but the transition tag is a weird and pointless move by them in the first place. All it does is let the market dictate what they pay their guy, instead of negotiating it themselves.

Interesting move. As said, I expect the Bears to match whatever we offered, but I hope we structured it in a way that makes it hard. Could be interesting to see if they put a 'poison pill' in there to dissuade a match.

Fuller was very good last year, and ranked out solidly as a legit #1 CB. He'd be a great get if the Bears don't make and assuming he stays healthy.

Interesting move. As said, I expect the Bears to match whatever we offered, but I hope we structured it in a way that makes it hard. Could be interesting to see if they put a 'poison pill' in there to dissuade a match.

Fuller was very good last year, and ranked out solidly as a legit #1 CB. He'd be a great get if the Bears don't make and assuming he stays healthy.

I thought they've pretty much cracked down and outlawed poison pills.

I thought they've pretty much cracked down and outlawed poison pills.

Fair enough. Perhaps more interesting are the rough calculations that the Bears have used up almost all of their cap space with their spending....

I admittedly haven't crunched the numbers with the new deals but the Bears came into this off-season with one of the best salary cap situations in the NFL. I assume they still have plenty of room.

It seems inexplicable to me that they'd let their top corner just walk to a division rival for nothing unless we really overpayed.

I expect the Bears to match, but the transition tag is a weird and pointless move by them in the first place. All it does is let the market dictate what they pay their guy, instead of negotiating it themselves.

The Transition Tag is a great move since it gives them the right to match. The 3 options are Unrestricted FA, Transition Tag or Franchise Tag. UFA and Transition Tag let you see what the market values that player. The Transition Tag gives you that fallback to match if you are comfortable with that going rate. I would also argue that the Transition Tag likely lowers the overall value slightly in that teams know that the work they put into an offer sheet is likely moot since the Bears have the ability to match. Placing a Franchise Tag on Fuller automatically jumps negotiations to the top tier since you are showing you value that player as one of the top players at the position league wide. The Bears placed the Transition and guaranteed just over $12M...the Franchise tag would have guaranteed $15M. Matching the Packers offer guarantees $18M and the entire 4 year deal comes in at an AAV of $14M which puts Fuller at about the 18th highest CB deal. I'd say that worked out great for both Fuller and the Bears.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Archived