Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4
So now everyone is going to get excited because we signed this years Bennett and a DL? Yup, so much more different.

And this is coming from someone who wasn't complaining about them not doing anything jus so that is straight.

Graham is a better redzone target and also as far as we know isn't a horrible person like Martellus. Just because we struck out with Bennett doesn't mean Graham will be the same.

And Wilkerson has been a monster at his best. He has a ton of incentive to have a big rebound year. If he does, that defensive front will be scary good. If he doesn't, it's a 1 year deal. Nothing not to like there.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And Wilkerson is playing for $3M more dollars. That’s incentive enough for anyone. It’s a good deal. The Graham signing is a wait and see for me. He’s pretty old now and has had okay seasons as of late. I guess it depends how much Rodgers feeds him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not excited yet, but I understand why they signed Graham - the TE class this year doesn't really offer much in terms of quality or quantity. Graham, despite not being what he was, still caught 10 TDs last year - he's still a weapon in the red zone. Wilkerson is very talented; the question is motivation and getting the talent from him. With Daniels leading the DL, he won't be afraid to get on Wilkerson and tell him what's up.

Trey Burton was considered the top TE in free agency, and he signed for 4/$32M. I'd expect Graham to have a similar $8M/year AAV, maybe "agent inflated" with a big 3rd year that he is unlikely to see.

With most college football offenses being some type of spread offense, there are tons of WRs coming out every year. Likely the Pack invest a couple of their 12 picks, especially the nine on day 3, on some WRs who can learn for a year and then take over next year when Cobb is likely gone.

This is why it pays to wait until all the FA's are signed before writing off an off-season.

Florio just ran off a stat that the Packers have signed 4 free agents with "names" in 25 years. We just did 50% of that in one day. This is uncharted territory for us. I think those like myself were more on the proactive "we need, I am nervous of it happening again" type of criticizing rather than being in a panic that we didn't do anything for the entire offseason.

So now everyone is going to get excited because we signed this years Bennett and a DL? Yup, so much more different.

And this is coming from someone who wasn't complaining about them not doing anything jus so that is straight.

Graham is a better redzone target and also as far as we know isn't a horrible person like Martellus. Just because we struck out with Bennett doesn't mean Graham will be the same.

And Wilkerson has been a monster at his best. He has a ton of incentive to have a big rebound year. If he does, that defensive front will be scary good. If he doesn't, it's a 1 year deal. Nothing not to like there.

I’m talking face value Bennett and Graham are comparable FA splashes, not as players. Wilkerson is a lower end FA target($3mil low). The celebration like tides have changed is questionable to me. If they would have signed one of the big CBs, different story. Not like we started dropping big bucks. TT made these type of FA signings.

Nice stat. Incorrect but nice stat.

Bennett, Peppers, Woodson and Ryan Pickett. That was just TT's tenure in "name" FAs.

Sort of. Peppers was considered past his prime, Pickett wasn’t a name, and Woodson saw 1 team after him.

Bennett, Peppers, Woodson and Ryan Pickett. That was just TT's tenure in "name" FAs.

Yeah, that was over the course of about 13 years, though.

I understand that TT did a few things that seemed to be outside of his normal comfort zone last year. I still don't think anyone would deny that over the course of his entire body of work, TT was extremely conservative and it does not appear that BG will be following in his footsteps in that regard. I think that's the main point being made.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hundley is as good as gone. The Packers plan to trade him to anyone offering a low-round pick. There is interest from at least a couple teams too.

Kizer isn't being viewed as the surefire #2, though. They consider him more of a developmental guy, as saw his potential as better than pretty much any QB in the draft, other than the top 4 guys.

Look for them to eventually acquire a veteran QB for the #2 role. It will be a guy like Matt Moore.

They have roughly $25MM in cap space (after Jordy was cut), not including Graham/Wilkerson since we don't have those details yet. Them there's the call it $9MM they'll need for rookie class. So figure around $16MM left.

Plus, there's always the option of cutting Cobb or Matthews which would free up $10MM each. I doubt they cut either, but you never know.

They have roughly $25MM in cap space (after Jordy was cut), not including Graham/Wilkerson since we don't have those details yet. Them there's the call it $9MM they'll need for rookie class. So figure around $16MM left.

Plus, there's always the option of cutting Cobb or Matthews which would free up $10MM each. I doubt they cut either, but you never know.

A Rodgers extension would free up space as well.

How close the team is to the salary cap is kind of a drawn-out media fallacy. If a team really wants a player, they can always find the money to do it. Always.

Oh they absolutely could find the room. Just a matter if they want to. Mathieu has been injury prone but he's still very young and would fit nicely at safety/slot corner. I'm guessing he'll have a pretty nice market but we'll see.

Yeah, that was over the course of about 13 years, though.

I understand that TT did a few things that seemed to be outside of his normal comfort zone last year. I still don't think anyone would deny that over the course of his entire body of work, TT was extremely conservative and it does not appear that BG will be following in his footsteps in that regard. I think that's the main point being made.

Oh, there is no doubting TT was conservative in FA. I just hate hyperbole. The quote was over 25 years, so I could've gone back to Sherman and Wolf's era to add Reggie White and many others (both good and bad "name" FA signings).

Peppers was past his prime, but so is Jimmy Graham. And past-his-prime-Peppers was wonderful here each year we had him (and even last year).

Oh they absolutely could find the room. Just a matter if they want to. Mathieu has been injury prone but he's still very young and would fit nicely at safety/slot corner. I'm guessing he'll have a pretty nice market but we'll see.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/tyrann-mathieu-a-winning-culture-matters-more-to-me-than-money/#comments

Seems to have his options narrowed down. You read that and obviously think Patriots. But Packers makes a lot of sense, too.

I know Packers have made a call.

Do you have a source with the Packers?

This is where Rodgers should pick up the phone and advocate for him to get his butt to GB.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Do you have a source with the Packers?

This is where Rodgers should pick up the phone and advocate for him to get his butt to GB.

I'll say I know someone very familiar with the mindset of the current front office. These are pretty easy dots to connect, though. The Packers have a huge need for talent in their secondary, especially at slot corner. That is Mathieu's ideal position. He's a difference maker there. He wants to play for a winner. The scuttlebutt within league circles is he will sign a surprisingly affordable deal with the Patriots or Packers.

Regarding Jordy Nelson ... I find it pretty funny that the only fans who seem to be extremely upset about his release are women in their 30s. Jordy definitely had a pigeonholed fanbase. I loved him during his prime, but even in his great "comeback" 2016, it was evident that he was no longer the receiver he was pre knee injury. So much of his production was on broken plays where Rodgers scrambled and managed to throw Nelson open. The two of them had almost and otherworldly connection. But at this point is his career, in baseball terminology, Nelson is a late-30s LOOGY who, if deployed right on the right team, could still be effective. But not at prime closer dollars.

I hope you're right on Mathieu, I would LOVE to see him in a Packers uniform.

Said this to a buddy yesterday, but if this happens, coupled with the Graham signing...it's like how I typically ran my Madden franchises. Now if we could somehow turn some marginal player, our second and third rounds picks into like two firsts like I always pulled off on there... ;)

I get the Nelson release. I am sad to see him go because he is such a great guy that produced so much during his time. I am hoping he catches on with Oakland so they can be my AFC team with Gruden.

Packers putting full court press on Rashaan Melvin as well. Big, fast CB who has been a late bloomer. They have competition for him, though. They would be extremely pleased to land both Melvin and Mathieu, which would take a lot of pressure off having to use Pick #14 on a DB. Davon House is also on the radar as a value signing. He actually fits Pettine's defense better than he did with Capers.

Burnett is likely gone unless he has misread his market. Packers would like him back, but can't devote a huge contract to a position where they have decent depth. Jones was drafted at the heir apparent, and they like Brice and Evans as well. But they love Burnett's leadership and that he was willing to do whatever was asked of him last year. Also a super smart player, and those types typically age pretty well.

Tyrann Mathieu fits Pettine's defense as a slot corner. Packers obviously have a need. No inside info here, but easy to connect the dots.

Packers traditionally have gone for taller DBs, are they going to be cool with a 5' 9" guy? If Pettine feels he can play in his defense that's good enough for me, I just wonder if they shy away from him because of size.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Tyrann Mathieu fits Pettine's defense as a slot corner. Packers obviously have a need. No inside info here, but easy to connect the dots.

Packers traditionally have gone for taller DBs, are they going to be cool with a 5' 9" guy? If Pettine feels he can play in his defense that's good enough for me, I just wonder if they shy away from him because of size.

I personally wondered the same thing, but I guess they are making an exception. Pettine has had shorter defensive backs play well in his defense before. Jim Leonhard and Lito Shepard come to mind.

Times are changing. That started with Wolf, back when teams were all going to the tall WRs. Moss, Colston, etc. Now teams are adding smaller WR and hybrid RB/WR types. I don't think you want a whole secondary of 5'9" guys, but one is fine.

Archived