Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4
I hope they use those picks to get some offensive line depth.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wilkerson leaves town without a deal and now I see that Talib could have been had for a 5th rounder. Same old Packers so far.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wilkerson leaves town without a deal and now I see that Talib could have been had for a 5th rounder. Same old Packers so far.

I don't want that Talib anywhere near this town. That dude is cancerous trash to a football team. Wilkerson has some attitude issues too, so even though I would like his talents here very much that could be a reason we (may) not end up signing him.

I don't want that Talib anywhere near this town. That dude is cancerous trash to a football team. Wilkerson has some attitude issues too, so even though I would like his talents here very much that could be a reason we (may) not end up signing him.

Eventually you have to take some chances on some premium talent. If the culture of your franchise is strong enough, you can do it.

Eventually you have to take some chances on some premium talent.

Are Talib or Wilkerson "premium talent" at this point? Suh, Sherman, Graham, sure. But Wilkerson? He's an intriguing reclamation project and could benefit from a reunion with Pettine, but he's had two pedestrian years in a row and just got cut.

Are Talib or Wilkerson "premium talent" at this point? Suh, Sherman, Graham, sure. But Wilkerson? He's an intriguing reclamation project and could benefit from a reunion with Pettine, but he's had two pedestrian years in a row and just got cut.

The worst thing we could do is pay Graham a Brinks truck.

Wilkerson might not be but Talib has graded out highly and we needed help in that area. Maybe cap concerns with it but the Eagles and Rams are loading up and the Vikings might be right behind them. Just hope the Packers won’t continue sitting on the sidelines while other teams position themselves.

I guess I'm just not overly concerned about letting a guy like Talib pass by at this point based on his salary. With an 11 million cap number for the Rams, I'm not sure I'd rather have that vs. taking a much more cost-effective flyer on a guy like Malcom Butler.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From what I understand Wilkerson was pretty clear that he wanted to do a few visits before he signed anything and his Green Bay visit went quite well.

Visit went very well, and Wilkerson wants to play for Pettine and the Packers. But the Packers' offer is a pretty team/cap friendly deal, almost a "prove it" type contract. He may sign somewhere else if another team blows the Packers' offer out of the water, but if the offers he gets are close to equal, he's told the Packers they are #1 on his list.

If he does sign somewhere else, though, the Packers are happy with Daniels, Clark and Lowry, with Adams and Dial in reserve. They do think Wilkerson could be a difference maker if his head is on straight, though.

Lol Free Agency hasn’t even really started and already hearing “same old Packers” type line..... Packers brought in Wilkerson already, tried to get Sherman in (who think wanted to stay west coast where he has always lived, played, and revenge factor), then have made calls to reps of Graham, Robinson, Watkins, and Trumaine Johnson.... They don’t have much cap room to work with. Be interesting to see what they can do. Just don’t understand how anyone can be frustrated or thinking same old Packers before FA starts or because they haven’t been wheeling & dealing like Browns or Rams in the early going of off-season

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

No creativity shown yet. It’s early but they need to be creative to find deals to add to this team.

Didn't expect them to be super active the first day when everyone is overpaying. Team liked Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins, but not at the huge salaries they are getting. They really like Trumane Johnson too, but he may break the bank. They are also in the mix for Jimmy Graham, but if it comes down to a bidding war with the Saints, who knows? Team also believes they are still the preferred destination for Wilkerson.

The biggest difference to look for with Gute compared to Ted - look for the team to be very active in making player-for-player and draft pick-for-player trades to shore up their depth.

The biggest difference to look for with Gute compared to Ted - look for the team to be very active in making player-for-player and draft pick-for-player trades to shore up their depth.

This is what I am looking for. I want us to be crafty in obtaining players. New England does it every year. I don't need the Packers to "win" free agency every offseason but I want them to target players and be willing to give up draft picks or players that they feel they have gotten the most out of and there is no more. The Patriots do this better than anyone in the league and it's why they churn their roster each season and still win.

What pisses me off the most is how many of these teams continually find a way to make moves despite the cap every year, while Green Bay gives the excuse of "not much to maneuver with," "we tried" etc. New England should have even more cap trouble than we claim to have since they never stop going to Super Bowls, yet they have no trouble finding players.

This organization is really starting to wear on me so I hope something changes soon. If not I may not even watch NFL anymore...rather watch NHL and their no nonsense hard work ethic.

What pisses me off the most is how many of these teams continually find a way to make moves despite the cap every year, while Green Bay gives the excuse of "not much to maneuver with," "we tried" etc. New England should have even more cap trouble than we claim to have since they never stop going to Super Bowls, yet they have no trouble finding players.

This organization is really starting to wear on me so I hope something changes soon. If not I may not even watch NFL anymore...rather watch NHL and their no nonsense hard work ethic.

Give the new leadership a chance before writing them off. These are no longer Ted Thompson's "Draft And Develop" Packers. You saw it already with the Randall for Kizer swap. Thompson would have never, ever made that deal.

Gute wants to make a splash in his first run at being a GM, and the Packers are going to be active this offseason. He wants to put his stamp on the team. Just give it a little time.

Looks like the Bears are signing Robinson.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bears are going to land Trey Burton and Allen Robinson. Those look like pretty good pickups for that up and coming QB they have.

I'm not sure this narrative is correct. I don't recall an offseason beyond Ted's first that the team had or claimed to have cap trouble. If anything, they've consistently been able to manage their cap efficiently and wisely. The issue is that the organization assigned values to players and a corresponding value they'd be willing to pay, and that prevented them from signing guys that could potentially help during these early days of free agency. The unanswered question is whether the new regime is willing to be less rigid about this than Ted was.

It is also nice to hear about a willingness to use draft capital for established players. I think you can manage a roster more efficiently by giving up a 5th for a player at a position of need than by spending crazy money in early free agency.

I'm not sure this narrative is correct. I don't recall an offseason beyond Ted's first that the team had or claimed to have cap trouble. If anything, they've consistently been able to manage their cap efficiently and wisely. The issue is that the organization assigned values to players and a corresponding value they'd be willing to pay, and that prevented them from signing guys that could potentially help during these early days of free agency. The unanswered question is whether the new regime is willing to be less rigid about this than Ted was.

It is also nice to hear about a willingness to use draft capital for established players. I think you can manage a roster more efficiently by giving up a 5th for a player at a position of need than by spending crazy money in early free agency.

The beat folks are doing it right now even. "With only 20 million to work with" blah blah blah. I'm sick and tired of us playing the hard ball low ball game...is it too much to ask for once in a great while that "we need an upgrade and d***it all we like this guy and we're gonna be the first one on the door making sure we get him." ?

I had some hope when I saw Wilkerson in town, but seems like more of the same...hopefully Joey is right and we have a different type of offseason. Agreed with you fully on using draft capital on proven talent to upgrade, would like to see more of it.

The beat folks are doing it right now even. "With only 20 million to work with" blah blah blah..

You're right, but they're wrong, or at least not telling the whole story. I'm sure part of the delay here is the conversations they're having to free up more of that space. They hypothetically have 30-40 million that they could get today, if they made some tough (but probably needed) decisions along with extending Rodgers.

Archived