Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4
If the Raiders really do like Aaron Jones, would you be ok with the Packers dealing him, with also having Ty Montgomery and Jamaal Williams also on the roster? I really liked how Jones looked last year, but for Mack I feel like he could be expendable. Aaron Jones + 2019 2nd Round Pick for Mack?

They would want Jones and at least one 1st.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So why haven’t the Packers made a move for Mack yet?

Busy trading Pipkins for that scrub Colts LB.

that "scrub" was not a fit for a 4-3. He works well as a 1st down MLB for GB. That's a very shrewd move by BG.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If the Packers are going to trade picks, I'd rather they do it for an OT. Their backups are putrid.

Also, I like Reggie Gilbert's potential. He can get shoved around occasionally but he has got some speed off the edge.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So why haven’t the Packers made a move for Mack yet?

Busy trading Pipkins for that scrub Colts LB.

that "scrub" was not a fit for a 4-3. He works well as a 1st down MLB for GB. That's a very shrewd move by BG.

I don't hate the move, but Morrison is just another poor man's version of AJ Hawk, Barnett, Nickerson etc...racks up tackles yet doesn't make a real impact. We need the depth though so any warm body helps, especially at near zero cost. I'd just prefer we overpay for Mack and make a statement that it's time to get serious on defense. Antonio Morrison ain't making ARodge happy.

I don't hate the move, but Morrison is just another poor man's version of AJ Hawk, Barnett, Nickerson etc...racks up tackles yet doesn't make a real impact. We need the depth though so any warm body helps, especially at near zero cost. I'd just prefer we overpay for Mack and make a statement that it's time to get serious on defense. Antonio Morrison ain't making ARodge happy.

And I don't think Morrison's acquisition in any way curtails a potential Mack trade. Different positions. The only way it may play a role is if Morrison keeps Matthews from moving to ILB.

I agree, though, that it appears that Morrison is simply a replacement for Ryan as a two-down thumper. Hopefully Burks is back soon, as his athleticism will be needed.

You don't hate the move but call him a scrub? Interesting. We moved a guy we did not need for a guy that should help our depth whether we obtain Mack or not. I'd say that is good GM work on the part of Gutekunst.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You don't hate the move but call him a scrub? Interesting. We moved a guy we did not need for a guy that should help our depth whether we obtain Mack or not. I'd say that is good GM work on the part of Gutekunst.

What's interesting? I don't hate giving something a shot but let's face the reality that the Colts didn't want him either, regardless of system change. And their defense is baaaaaaad. Good players generally (?) adapt to systems. One scrub for another scrub and hope it ends up benefitting both sides rather than hitting the waiver wire, that's all it is.

What's interesting? I don't hate giving something a shot but let's face the reality that the Colts didn't want him either, regardless of system change. And their defense is baaaaaaad. Good players generally (?) adapt to systems. One scrub for another scrub and hope it ends up benefitting both sides rather than hitting the waiver wire, that's all it is.

Colts probably have other players with similar skill set, Packers do not. Doesn't make him a scrub if he's redundant for one team and not another.

I've seen some here describe him as a two down LB. That isn't even true anymore. With some offenses he'll rarely even be on the field. Vs others, maybe 1st down.

The reason they really need him is 3rd/4th and short and goal line. Need a thumper or two inside, that's what he gives you. Also, have no idea if he plays ST but seems like a guy who might actually be useful there.

They flipped Lenzy Pipkins for a guy that will actually play.

They flipped Lenzy Pipkins for a guy that will actually play.

Yeah good deal for both. No room for Pipkins & Morrison didn’t fit new D well. Not sure if people thought Lenzi would land us an elite guy or what but we got a solid guy to fill a need. Stiffs who suck don’t make 109 tackles in 15 games. Not a splashy guy or impact guy but against run he will fill gaps & be around the ball. Can’t complain about that. Hopefully Burks is good sooner than later since he has brings more to table as an elite athlete. Was doing well prior to injuries

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Hundley traded to Seattle for a draft pick. Gutekunst spins straw into gold...even if its a conditional 7th round pick gold. I don't know if Kizer is better than Hundley at this point in time, but Kizer should be under team control for several more years, and Hundley wasn't exactly good when given the chance to start.

EDIT: Since I got scooped, I'll add that Ian Rapoport from NFLN indicates the Packers will get a 6th rounder from Seattle.

Hundley traded to Seattle for a draft pick. Gutekunst spins straw into gold...even if its a conditional 7th round pick gold. I don't know if Kizer is better than Hundley at this point in time, but Kizer should be under team control for several more years, and Hundley wasn't exactly good when given the chance to start.

Yep, this is salvaging something for a guy who will be gone following the season anyway. Lets face it ... if Rodgers goes down, this team is going to struggle regardless of who is playing QB. At least this way they are giving Kizer the reps and he will hopefully grow in the system. Kizer has more upside than Hundley. This also potentially opens up a roster spot at a different position, as they will likely only roster Rodgers and Kizer at the QB position (Boyle is ticketed for the PS). Perhaps they can hold onto an extra receiver now.

6th Rd pick per Ian Rappoport

I think Packers really like Boyle's potential.

$15.4M free’d up. Let’s go get Mack!

Almost wonder if that was by design?

Could you imagine how Gute is going to be viewed if they trade Hundley, get Rodgers' extension done, and complete a Mack trade/sign all in the matter of a few days? That dude would be able to walk on water in Green Bay for the next year!

$15.4M free’d up. Let’s go get Mack!

Almost wonder if that was by design?

Could you imagine how Gute is going to be viewed if they trade Hundley, get Rodgers' extension done, and complete a Mack trade/sign all in the matter of a few days? That dude would be able to walk on water in Green Bay for the next year!

Especially when they go on to win the SB this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don’t understand the hate directed toward the preseason. Isn’t Packers preseason football pretty much better than regular season anything else? I realize I’m asking this to a bunch of baseball fans, but baseball is on 6 nights per week. If I could choose between watching the JV Packers 2 or 4 times per year, give me 4.

Archived