Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4

With the injury to Jake Ryan and the overall lack of veteran depth at wide receiver I keep hoping to add some veterans to those positions. I hear that Ahmad Thomas and Jake Kumerow are both showing well. That's great until Blake Martinez or (God forbid) DeVante Adams get hurt. It's not the starting lineup that scares me, it's the war of attrition that is the NFL thar does. Thomas isn't a thumper, he's a converted saftey. Sounds a lot like Oren Burks to me. 

It just feels like every season we've got a serious weak spot on the roster at a certain position , and then injuries strike and it jams up the works. It's been offensive tackle, running back, saftey, outside linebacker. This season I'm afraid it will be wide out and inside backer. I hope Guety has learned from Ted's short comings.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think once cuts start happening you'll see GB pick up a guy or two.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Packers don't need more receivers. I don't want a veteran taking away reps from the many young athletes that will turn out just fine. I wanted them to cut Cobb as I think he's a low ceiling waste of space at this point who isn't big and isn't fast.

Adams is your clear cut star. As I said earlier I really have my eyes on Geronimo this season. In a very small sample when he plays with Rodgers, he gets thrown to a LOT. And Rodgers has continued to praise him this camp. He had a big playoff game in Dallas two years ago as well as a big game in Cincinnati last season. He was also having a nice game in Rodgers return game in Carolina last season before the fatal fumble late. Rodgers seems to like him for whatever reason. My bold prediction is that he's a 1,000 yard guy this year.

Some of those young guys will be cut but with Graham in the mix they'll be just fine. The only thing that matters for this team is Rodgers staying healthy and the defense being average. We won't know a thing about the latter until real games start.

I agree, I'm fine with the WR group they have. Plus, not only will more passes go to TE, but I think we'll see more passes to the RBs too. Williams is really good as a receiver out of the backfield, and then there's Montgomery of course.

I'm more concerned about the O line than anything else. They could be good if everything falls into place, but not a lot of margin for error there. With an injury or two they could go from "solid" or even really good to a swinging door in a hurry.

I feel like we're always worrying about the revolving door somewhere on the OL and it always turns out ok. Does anyone really think Bulaga won't get hurt?

This is like any other year to me. The defense has to be average and if it is we have a good chance. But it hasn't been that way for an eternity and we're a 10-win team ceiling if that's the case again.

But this isn't Uncle Ted at the controls anymore!! You just don't know. Hopefully Guety is more Ron Wolf and less Ted.

It would be very difficult, but I would give up both 1st round picks for Mack . The chance to aquire difference makers doesn't come along often.

I wouldn’t give up 2 firsts for Kahlil Mack. I know he’s in his prime right now, but so was Clay Matthews the last time he was up for a new contract.

I'd give him CM3's money since hes coming off the books. Get 5-6 years younger with a possibly better in his prime player? Those types don't grow on trees let alone come available often.

I wouldn’t give up 2 firsts for Kahlil Mack. I know he’s in his prime right now, but so was Clay Matthews the last time he was up for a new contract.

I'd give him CM3's money since hes coming off the books. Get 5-6 years younger with a possibly better in his prime player? Those types don't grow on trees let alone come available often.

That’s tempting, I know. If it were 2 FRPs for a prime player on a value contract, absolutely. If it were just a matter of signing him as a FA, no question. It’s both that trouble me. Plus, Clay makes north of $10 million. I believe Mack will command closer to $20 million per season.

That’s tempting, I know. If it were 2 FRPs for a prime player on a value contract, absolutely. If it were just a matter of signing him as a FA, no question. It’s both that trouble me. Plus, Clay makes north of $10 million. I believe Mack will command closer to $20 million per season.

I wouldn't give up two firsts, but I would consider giving up one. The real obstacle IMO is that there's no point to doing it unless you get him to agree to a contract, obviously. And you're right about that contract, it's not going to be a $10mm situation, it's going to be a highest-paid defensive player type deal. I'm not sure if you want that much tied up in two guys with Rodgers's deal on the horizon.

It makes sense to pay QBs that much. It makes less sense to pay pass rushers that much as their years of effectiveness are fewer and consistency much more of a risk.

I agree with you on all counts, Snapper.

Rodgers already tilts the field. When he’s 100% and the roster is healthy, they are a serious contender. I would rather have 2 FRPs on value contracts and some FA acquisitions at positions of need than one $20 million / year player. That’s not a knock on Mack. He’s an elite defender. That’s just how I’d prefer to see the roster constructed.

Two decent draft picks paid rookie money are probably more valuable overall than a star player being paid what he's worth. Or trade the two first-rounders for a top-10 pick. I'd rather have a player who has 70% Mack's ability but is paid 20% of Mack's next-year salary. And in this age of passing offenses, I'd rather give $20 to some star CB than a LB.

In the age of passing offenses the most valuable position on the defense is a pass rusher and the salaries paid to them prove that. It is very easy to mask mediocre CBs with pass rushers and a great CB with no pass rush is not going to look very good. The CBs are barely allowed to play defense anyway.

I would still agree with the rest of the statement but Mack is a Reggie White-type acquisition that instantly makes GB the NFC favorite if he doesn't get hurt. This is an elite player.

I'm starting to think Aaron is getting fed up with this organization for not doing what it takes...he seems to be starting to be more vocally frustrated about little things than he used to. Sure we signed a name in Graham but he likely is at the end or close to it. Unless we acquire a gamechanging talent soon I fear rodgers may hit the road when he has the opportunity.

Torn on the idea of trading for Mack. If you did the deal and extended Rodgers, you're talking about having the highest paid offensive AND the highest paid defensive player on the same roster. Can't recall offhand if that's ever happened before.

Ideally you'd like to get 2 good players with those picks on rookie contracts, but will they have the same impact as an elite player like Mack will? Maybe it's time to toss out the "long game" and pull an all-in move to get Mack since honestly his career will probably end around the same time Rodgers stops playing.

Of course if they continue with the "long game" of always fielding a competitive team, the other option is to package those two first round picks next spring to move up for the successor to #12... *ducks*

Gruber Lawffices

I think you have to stay away, ultimately, even though I'd love to have Mack.

I think you're better off with a Peppers/Woodson type signing, a star whose market is down but can still contribute to a championship team. They won a title because of Woodson and frankly should've won another in 2014 largely due to Peppers. We've seen what happens when Rodgers gets hurt. Paying Mack $20mm a year if that happens again really doesn't help the team at all. There is just way too much uncertainty in a long-term contract with a player at his position.

Rodgers could still play for 10 years. We don't really know, but he could. Brady appears headed in that direction and they're very similar in terms of offseason care of their bodies. I think it's more likely Rodgers is a top player longer than Mack even though he's 27. Those guys wear down much faster.

Part of me would like to see the Packers hang on to both picks just so we can go into the off season with a reason to be optimistic. It would be fun to read the mock draft coverage and dream of the possibilities.

Ideally, if the Packers are sitting at 7-1 or 6-2 around the trade deadline and are reasonably healthy, I’d like to see them trade a pick or two to fortify the roster and take a shot.

If the Packers are sitting at 7-1 they are a contender and I see no reason to trade either pick. I don't think this team is that good, but that would convince me to keep the picks. No point to "go for it" when you're 7-1 and have Rodgers as you're already "in it." Those types of deadline deals, while happening more often, are pretty rare in the NFL anyway.

The Saints pick has the potential to be a top pick IMO. That division is loaded and you have to wonder how long Brees can excel/stay healthy.

The Saints pick has the potential to be a top pick IMO. That division is loaded and you have to wonder how long Brees can excel/stay healthy.

The Saints won the division (tied, but held the tie-breaker over the Panthers ) and were a fluke play away from being in the NFC championship game last year; hard to see them taking that big of a fall. They were one of three teams from the NFC South to make the playoffs and that could very easily be the case again this year.

^^^

The Saints pick is likely to fall somewhere between 25-32, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see them miss the playoffs given a tough division and a loaded NFC. And if Brees were to suffer an injury early in the season, it could be a top 10 pick. Unlikely, but still a realistic possibility.

If the Packers are sitting at 7-1 they are a contender and I see no reason to trade either pick. I don't think this team is that good, but that would convince me to keep the picks. No point to "go for it" when you're 7-1 and have Rodgers as you're already "in it." Those types of deadline deals, while happening more often, are pretty rare in the NFL anyway.

I don’t necessarily think they’d have to deal a FRP to shore up the roster at mid-season. The two firsts afford them the ability to trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year without short changing next year’s draft class. A lower profile move is probably more realistic (the Eagles added Jay Ajayi for a 4th rounder last year).

Archived