Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4

I like Lewis because it is likely Graham gets hurt and if he does there is nothing behind him.

I'm a little surprised people are somewhat dismissive of Allison. I thought he was really showing something when Rodgers got injured. Everything after that is a wash to me.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mercedes Lewis just signed. TE looking good with him, Graham and hopefully Kendricks pulls his head out of his rear.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

[sarcasm]Well, thank goodness someone on the team read my roster analysis post and filled my #1 roster weakness! I am an owner after all... (please no meddling owner complaints).[/sarcasm] :laughing

Not sure why I didn't think to look at who was left out there after the draft. Getting a blocking TE was a pretty obvious need. Seems like a perfect fit.

OSS, what do you expect out of Allison? Think he can be a #2 WR? A #1?

My evaluation is that he has been a good #4 and I think he might be able to be a decent #3. Good route runner, good hands, but not much speed. Seems like he is pretty ceiling limited and probably already reached it. And now this year, there is a lot of pressure with the young, fast, big(ger) WRs that have much more upside than he does. If Allison comes in and wins the #3 WR spot, great. He holds a spot on the team.

But if he ends up as the 4th WR (or worse) in his 3rd season is it really worth keeping him? That probably means Michael Clark or J'Mon Moore passed him on the depth chart and he probably plateaued. Unless there is a big gap between Allison at #4 and whomever else at #5, I'd guess that the Packers keep the higher upside young WR over him.

I'm not sure how you think Clark has a better chance of making the team than Allison. Adams, Cobb and Moore (unless he completely bombs in training camp and the preseason) are locks. I'm not going to speculate on Dez Bryant until he signs.

With Lewis and Graham I wonder if Clark shows something in camp if they cut Kendricks and make Clark the 3rd TE as a TE/WR hybrid. It's not like Kendricks did much of anything last year.

I don't think Davis or Kumerow have a chance of making the team. With kickoffs becoming less and less common and Davis' propensity to try to return punts from inside the 10 as well as no development as a receiver, I wouldn't be shocked if he was one of the first cuts in camp.

So that leaves Yancey, St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling and Allison fighting for probably only two spots. I think Allison probably has a leg up just because Rodgers seems to like him. He seems to do well in the intermediate routes. Kind of like a later career Donald Driver. I think St. Brown is the most talented. Maybe they use Valdes-Scantling as the punt returner/gunner like Janis until they see if he can develop more or maybe they try to sneak him onto the practice squad because he is raw.

Also forgot about Montgomery who will probably be seeing more time at WR this year with Jones and Williams. Even though I think Williams isn't good he seems to be McCarthy's new pet that he loves for no reason whatsoever.

Actually, Valdes-Scantling is older than Yancey and Clark. If he's still this raw as a route runner, is he really worth keeping?

My guesses right now.

Adams

Cobb

Moore

Allison

Yancey

St. Brown

Graham

Lewis

Clark

Jones

Williams

Montgomery with Montgomery getting some reps at slot receiver as well.

Try to get Valdes-Scantling on the practice squad.

[sarcasm]Well, thank goodness someone on the team read my roster analysis post and filled my #1 roster weakness! I am an owner after all... (please no meddling owner complaints).[/sarcasm] :laughing

Not sure why I didn't think to look at who was left out there after the draft. Getting a blocking TE was a pretty obvious need. Seems like a perfect fit.

OSS, what do you expect out of Allison? Think he can be a #2 WR? A #1?

My evaluation is that he has been a good #4 and I think he might be able to be a decent #3. Good route runner, good hands, but not much speed. Seems like he is pretty ceiling limited and probably already reached it. And now this year, there is a lot of pressure with the young, fast, big(ger) WRs that have much more upside than he does. If Allison comes in and wins the #3 WR spot, great. He holds a spot on the team.

But if he ends up as the 4th WR (or worse) in his 3rd season is it really worth keeping him? That probably means Michael Clark or J'Mon Moore passed him on the depth chart and he probably plateaued. Unless there is a big gap between Allison at #4 and whomever else at #5, I'd guess that the Packers keep the higher upside young WR over him.

I'm not really sure but I just think the book is out on him. Rodgers seems to like him. He got off to a solid start last year and without Nelson I thought he'd only get more chances. Look at the one game Rodgers returned in at the end of the season, he threw at him 8 times. He did fumble and essentially seal the loss but for whatever reason Rodgers seems to trust him. I also remember him having a big game in the divisional game in Dallas a couple seasons ago. He just seems like a traditional no-name draft pick that ends up carving out a career in GB.

Rookie WRs rarely do much of anything, so I think he has a considerable leg up on the newer guys. I wouldn't be shocked to see him emerge as a 2/3 this season.

Community Moderator
I like Lewis because it is likely Graham gets hurt and if he does there is nothing behind him.

Such an odd statement that I can't let it go without asking for clarification. What are you basing this on? The Packers' historical bad luck with FA TE's? Graham has played in 15 or 16 of 16 games in all but one of his eight seasons so far.

Such an odd statement that I can't let it go without asking for clarification. What are you basing this on? The Packers' historical bad luck with FA TE's? Graham has played in 15 or 16 of 16 games in all but one of his eight seasons so far.

People also seem to be forgetting that, despite a down year last year, Lance Kendricks has been a solid, dependable TE throughout his career.

It isn't odd at all. He spent half of 2015 on IR and he played the entirety of last season on a bad ankle that was probably a lot more injured than he ever let on because he knew he was headed to FA. It was one of many reasons people speculated his production was so much worse along with some others that were beyond his control.

He is tough as nails and doesn't get credit for it because he's known as a finesse player, and he rarely misses time. But he sure doesn't dodge injuries the way other players do. He's been badly hampered by injuries 2 of the last 3 seasons and is in the twilight of his career, so I don't think it's at all unlikely he misses a few games with minor injuries this season. The Packers are among the most cautious teams in the league with player injuries. I think he's still a productive player but given his recent problems and age I'd be a lot more comfortable with the depth they now have.

People also seem to be forgetting that, despite a down year last year, Lance Kendricks has been a solid, dependable TE throughout his career.

Kendricks is just a guy. He's veteran depth but if he's starting at TE at this point in his career the Packers are in trouble. He's fine in the role they now have him playing, if he even makes the final roster.

• 3 weeks later...
A lot of HaHa issues was due to injuries around him & having to change his role on defense. He kind of got taken out of doing what makes him a really good player. I expect Pettine to make most out of his talent. If D stays healthy, I expect a big year from him

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Anyone catch the super-strange Winston Moss presser yesterday? Man, that guy seems ultra ticked-off to even be here. Apparently this is the second one like this in the last two weeks.

https://www.packers.com/video/moss-biegel-comes-prepared-every-single-day

Now that Bob McGinn is done, none of the other beat guys are going to have the guts to call the Packers and Moss on that crap. There's a little bit of sniping about it on Twitter, but nothing substantial. Wilde's question was fine, but it means nothing if he doesn't follow it up with a column about how unacceptable it is for a team owned by fans to treat media that way. McCarthy, Gute and Murphy need to be criticized for allowing that to happen. It is embarrassing.

Ha Ha being cute with mini-camp. Normally I wouldn't care, but the way he's acting rubs me the wrong way. After the year he had, new DC, etc. he hints around he wants a new contract??

Wasn't he at his college graduation and then his godmother had a heart attack and passed away? Dude, chill.

Ha Ha being cute with mini-camp. Normally I wouldn't care, but the way he's acting rubs me the wrong way. After the year he had, new DC, etc. he hints around he wants a new contract??

Wasn't he at his college graduation and then his godmother had a heart attack and passed away? Dude, chill.

Dude, that was his original story. Then he changed his story dude.

I don’t mean to get in the middle of this but he made it awfully clear he would have been there had he been paid for it. I don’t blame him for not being there but if you’re going to make it clear you’d have been there had you been paid for it don’t try to come up with all these other reasons for not being there.

• 3 weeks later...

Aaron Jones... you are dumb!! I think Jones is the best of the Packs RB's. Oh well. See you in week 3. There is enough depth there today with Williams and Monty.

Now correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't this have to be Jones's second failed drug test? I believe the first one gets you in the drug program but is just a warning. The second failed test leads to suspension. I don't understand players and the weed. Once your very short playing career is over you can smoke yourself silly. Until that time, follow the rules.

NFL is really dumb. Two week for using MJ but three weeks for groping a female. Makes sense. Testing for MJ is dumb to begin with. NFL needs to start being progressive.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Whatever your position on marijuana the fact this is tested for and affects people’s work (outside of driving, machinery and/or other situations that could be dangerous) is kind of insane. Like why is this tested for? For what purpose does the NFL find this as an issue?

That being said you can’t fix stupid. If you know you get tested for it and decide to do it anyway here are the punishments. Stupid people losing thousands of dollars in just two short weeks. This is why these football players are broke in a couple years.

Not that this effects much, but I thought I heard on the radio this is for when he was stopped and weed was found in his car a while back. Still stupid and all that though.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

The NFL is losing ratings enough and more and more people are seeing the sport as increasingly violent. Building up family viewership probably wouldn't go well if they allowed marijuana. I still prefer the suspensions for it. Plenty of things in my career that I can't do which are socially acceptable, but I chose the career anyway.

I used to say it a lot, too, that it should be easy enough to stop your bad habits for the short period of your professional career. But it's hard to change a tiger's stripes. Plus it's hard to stop when you're hanging around with the same crowds that probably got you into it in the first place.

Archived