Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Training Camp: Rodgers Extension Reportedly Done

pacopete4
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My Jersey has 00 on it with my name instead of a players name.

Sorry, but I need to throw a flag. Please don't be "that guy" you're better than that ; ) You can wear a regular Packers jersey, otherwise wear a sweatshirt or something. But it is against fan rules to make up your own jersey, look it up.

I'm an owner. I make the rules! :) Plus, Packer fans have no unwritten rules. Only Cardinal fans. :laughing

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't it feel like there's more to the Vogel story to come? Cutting him outright like this after a very good season screams 'dating a coach's daughter' or something like that.

Sounds like Vogel asked for his release and it was granted.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ouch... very surprising. So much for a punting battle, which stinks IMO. Rookie punters don't always work out, but I figured at worst, we would have a known quantity in Vogel.

Jags cut Nortman who averaged 44.1 per punt last year and 45.2 for his career. If Scott doesn't work out - and remember, he also kicks off and has experience holding - there will be quality punters available.

Jags cut Nortman who averaged 44.1 per punt last year and 45.2 for his career. If Scott doesn't work out - and remember, he also kicks off and has experience holding - there will be quality punters available.

Hopefully. We thought the same thing when we cut Tim Mathstay and it took a year plus to get someone decent. And when we cut Ryan, it took 2+ years before we got Mathstay.

• 2 weeks later...
Just heard a tidbit this morning that the Packers do have interest in Dez Bryant. The team is obviously very confident in Davante Adams (or they wouldn't have signed him to that big contract), but would view Bryant as protection should Adams suffer another concussion. They believe that Bryant isn't the same receiver he was 5 years ago, but that part of his regression numbers-wise is the downgrade and difference in play style from Romo to Prescott. They believe he'd be a large upgrade athletically to Jordy Nelson, though. The question is whether Bryant would accept a $6-7 million one-year deal, and whether he believes he will be able to recuperate his value as a complimentary receiver to Adams and even Graham.

Count me out on Dez Bryant. Beside the fact that he has very obviously dropped off, that is Martellus Bennett waiting to repeat itself. The Packers lose one game where he has 2 catches for 17 yards and we have a malcontent for the season. No thank you, Rodgers doesn't need elite WRs. Adams is good and good enough for their offense to excel.

Count me out on Dez Bryant. Beside the fact that he has very obviously dropped off, that is Martellus Bennett waiting to repeat itself. The Packers lose one game where he has 2 catches for 17 yards and we have a malcontent for the season. No thank you, Rodgers doesn't need elite WRs. Adams is good and good enough for their offense to excel.

My opinion - Being scared off by one deal that didn't work out is how teams become mediocre. Good teams continue to take chances. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. If we're only talking a 1-year deal, though, there is little risk.

I couldn't care less about the money on a 1 year deal, it's the malcontent that is a risk with very little reward. Dez Bryant is arguably not even the best WR the Packers have if on the roster. I personally don't think he's better than Adams at this point in both of their careers.

They can achieve the same results with what they have. If he played OLB or CB I would consider taking on the risk but he doesn't.

Since Rodgers could throw Richard Rodgers open and if it is a one-year deal for a lower salary the Packers should be all over it. Just the red zone threat alone would be great. It also would shove those new rookies down a peg and let them get their feet wet a bit slower.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Since Rodgers could throw Richard Rodgers open and if it is a one-year deal for a lower salary the Packers should be all over it. Just the red zone threat alone would be great. It also would shove those new rookies down a peg and let them get their feet wet a bit slower.

Exactly! The rookies give the team a lot of theoretical depth, but when was the last time a rookie WR came in and had a large impact as anything more than a #4-ish complimentary threat? Probably going back to Sterling Sharpe. This team is one Davante injury from throwing Geronimo Allison out there at the #1 guy. Playing Cobb anywhere other than the slot has proven unsuccessful.

Or he's an unnecessary 1-year development block for the younger WRs already on the roster who are better athletes than Bryant, who turns 30 this season and was never a real blazing speed guy. Isn't Jimmy Graham supposed to be the great red zone target? Adams has turned into a really good player, he could, and is a likely candidate, to really bust out this season. Cobb, who I don't really like, is still on the team too. How many WRs do we really need?

I'd much rather see more opportunities for someone like Allison, who has really flashed some promise at times especially before Rodgers was injured. I don't really like any part of Dez Bryant in Green Bay. I'm not being the cantankerous old guy who doesn't Randy Moss. I just think Dez has really dropped off and isn't really going to help them be a better offense.

I suppose he's something of an insurance policy since Adams is one hit away from retirement. But there are still some names out there that can probably do that without the potential headache.

I always got the feeling that Bryant was more intense and ultra-competitive than a locker room nuisance. Commitment has never been an issue I don't believe.

Yes, I don't think he's a bad person, I don't buy into that nonsense, but there is a pretty thin line between ultra-competitive and pain in the butt. It's not exactly uncommon for the Packers to have losing skids. I'm not sure you want a guy like that around when it happens. Especially not one who's on a "prove it" contract and knows he's losing money every week without a TD. It doesn't help that media know this and will do everything in their power to create a story when they know they have a subject who can easily create one.

Yes, I don't think he's a bad person, I don't buy into that nonsense, but there is a pretty thin line between ultra-competitive and pain in the butt. It's not exactly uncommon for the Packers to have losing skids. I'm not sure you want a guy like that around when it happens. Especially not one who's on a "prove it" contract and knows he's losing money every week without a TD. It doesn't help that media know this and will do everything in their power to create a story when they know they have a subject who can easily create one.

You have a point there. The idiots at ESPN seem to have a thing for Bryant and anything Cowboy-related. I just think that if the price was right, the risk really isn't substantial.

So, after doing the roster analysis, I'm left to a few conclusions:

- Wow we are thin at TE. Signing Jimmy Graham sounds great, but he was only ok for a couple years (at least for his norm). I think he will bounce back, but there is some risk. Kendricks wasn't much of anything last year. And that is it. No blocking TEs, little depth.

- WR: I realize that Jimmy will probably act as our 2nd outside WR opposite Adams, but otherwise we are a bit thin. Lots of options so someone might step up, but no clear path.

- OLB: Biegel has some interesting upside, but very few others (maybe Reggie). I think we will have enough bodies and talent at the position this year, but not a lot of future there.

Otherwise, its pretty balanced. Talent, youth, upside, competition.

It will be interesting once they put on the pads, but I think they direly need to find a third TE and have Kendricks step up in year two.

The media blew things up way out of proportion with Dez just like anything else they do with Dallas (or New England....Brady/Belichick hate one another...LMAO). I would venture a guess that he isn't half the problem that he is portrayed to be.

I'm of firm belief that much of Dez's numbers not injury related the past few years are tied directly to Prescott and the commitment to the run game. Chances like these don't come around too often, when they do you need to pounce and then do everything possible to make sure it works IMO.

Initially, I was heavily leaning towards a pass on Dez. But I'm leaning more and more towards saying that we should take the chance.

Functionally on the 53-man roster, he would take Allison's spot as 3rd WR. Allison is a decent 4th WR, but not a whole lot more upside. If Clark, Yancy, or one of the rookie WRs really steps up, you don't really need to keep Dez either.

Dez has a bit of a reputation, but frankly (unless i haven't been paying that much attention to him...which I haven't), it seems like his NFL negatives have been pretty minor compared to his college rep. And if he does become a cancer... cut him and move on.

I don't believe I'm saying this, but I'd guess it would be a good move for the Pack.

Here is the WR analysis I put up on the other thread, but changed to add Dez Bryant:

WRs (5-7): Predicting 6

- Davante Adams (100%) – The default #1 WR right now. And the only one locked for the outside.

- Randall Cobb (100%) – Could possibly be his last year with the Pack?

- J’Mon Moore (95%) – Will we be saying “J’Mon man!” or “Moore! Give me Moore”? Either way, too much talent to not make the roster.

- Dez Bryant (70%): Honestly, quite a bit like Nelson at the moment. Brings in a lot of experience, but lost some speed also. Some risk of a locker room issue, but at a one year prove-it deal, that should be containable.

- Michael Clark (65%): A personal favorite of mine. Big and fast, but really raw last year. I’d guess that it really depends on if he develops at route running. Could be similar to Jimmy Graham as a WR-like TE.

- Equanimeous St. Brown (65%): The dark horse at WR. He has the skills but does he have the dedication to put in the work?

- Geronimo Allison (30%): His roster spot is not in his hands. Decent route runner, but I don’t see any more upside left. Mainly competing with Dez as the 3rd WR. Has the advantage in knowing Rodgers, but not much else.

- DeAngelo Yancey (40%) – Lost 15lbs and going into his second year. Will he make the big 2nd year jump or get stuck? With all the younger guys and being a “TT draft guy”, he will need a splash this year.

- Marquez Valdes-Scantling (40%): The new Trevor Davis with size. Speed to burn and size. But needs development on route running.

- Trevor Davis (25%) – Speed, but just hasn’t developed as a WR. With all the competition, I just don’t see him making it.

- Jake Kumerow (5%) – Local boy from Division III. Practice squad is really his only chance

- Colby Pearson (0%) – UDFA from last year that didn’t make the PS until McCaffrey was stolen off late in the season. - Dropped off the 90-man roster to make room for Dez

Not sure how this slipped past us but Mercedes Lewis would be a very nice addition to the Packers. While older, he graded out really well in the run blocking department and is a pretty good red zone threat. Hope this happens as I want to see us develop that running game this season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not sure how this slipped past us but Mercedes Lewis would be a very nice addition to the Packers. While older, he graded out really well in the run blocking department and is a pretty good red zone threat. Hope this happens as I want to see us develop that running game this season.

Signing Lewis would enable the team to develop one of their undrafted rookie TEs or Byrd on the Practice Squad rather than the rookie having to get consistent playing time. Graham can't and won't block worth a lick, and Kendricks, while he at least tries, isn't much better. If Lewis signed, he'd likely get a lot of playing time. The guy isn't a bad receiver, either. Would be the ideal in-line TE for this offense, and likely wouldn't cost any more than the vet minimum.

Archived