Brewer Fanatic

Andrew Susac Traded to the Orioles for Cash or PTBNL (Post #21)

djoctagone
Somebody actually wanted Susac? Most surprising move yet.

Well he was considered the Brewers' catcher of the future a year ago at this time, and has a top prospect pedigree. We are very quick around here to write off players we don't like as trash. Maybe Susac never amounts to anything at the MLB level, but to imply he has no talent is wrong.

Not that I think it'll make much of a difference in the long run, but would have preferred the catcher without options (Bandy) DFAd/traded before the one with (Susac). Bandy might very well get claimed when he is inevitably DFAd, and then we'll have only Nottingham on the 40-man. And I really like Nottingham, and think he'll continue to improve, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him in the majors just yet. Bethancourt would need to be added to the 25-man roster if he was to be the backup if Vogt or Pina went down.

And for the surprised about someone wanting Susac comments: It was guaranteed that he'd be claimed by someone. He was a top 100 prospect, who still has a minor league option remaining. Just takes one club with a favourable 40-man roster situation to take a flyer that he'd bounce back.

The Orioles have decided organizationally to not undergo the expense of international scouting. I can't blame them - really risky to give seven figures to 16-year-olds. Seems like many of the big bonus babies (other than the REALLY big bonus babies) never make it, and I'm referring to more than Lara. Looking back at some of the big signings from 7-9 years ago, many of them haven't amounted to anything.

Well he was considered the Brewers' catcher of the future a year ago at this time, and has a top prospect pedigree. We are very quick around here to write off players we don't like as trash. Maybe Susac never amounts to anything at the MLB level, but to imply he has no talent is wrong.

He was considered what? By who? That year he spent as not the backup to posey after he played in the majors showed SF didn't even see him as more than a scrap backup.

He was considered what? By who? That year he spent as not the backup to posey after he played in the majors showed SF didn't even see him as more than a scrap backup.

It showed they felt a high end left handed reliever was more valuable than a guy who would never be more than a backup catcher for them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I will be forever convinced (unless HH19 & his source can shed light on this) that getting Susac was a reaction trade after Lucroy turned down the deal to Cleveland (& Mejia was not heading to Milwaukee at that time).

Granted we all knew Will Smith was on the trade block & the Giants appeared to be a possible target for Smith, but the return package was still in the air. After Milwaukee was unable to get Mejia, Stearns needed to re-adjust trade targets resulting in Susac (& Phil Bickford) being in the Smith deal instead of something else...

I will be forever convinced (unless HH19 & his source can shed light on this) that getting Susac was a reaction trade after Lucroy turned down the deal to Cleveland (& Mejia was not heading to Milwaukee at that time).

Granted we all knew Will Smith was on the trade block & the Giants appeared to be a possible target for Smith, but the return package was still in the air. After Milwaukee was unable to get Mejia, Stearns needed to re-adjust trade targets resulting in Susac (& Phil Bickford) being in the Smith deal instead of something else...

I',m gonna hope that the PBTNL is Lamar Sparks, a 2017 draft pick.

He's a CF who has a very interesting OBP/speed combo of tools (33 BB to 145 AB, 11-for-14 in stolen bases).

When he was traded for, many posters here, including myself, thought he would be a ready-made replacement for Lucroy. If you didn't, you are in the minority. We all knew going into last Spring Training that it was between Susac, Bandy and Pina for the starting catching job. Most thought it was between Susac and Bandy, but then Susac got hurt very early in camp, and Bandy cooled off considerably after a hot start. Pina was consistent ... and here we are.

If Susac had stayed healthy it might have been a different story. If he can stay healthy he could still put together a decent career. Kind of early to write him off. After all Pina was an afterthought until he was 30.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived