Brewer Fanatic

Andrew Susac Traded to the Orioles for Cash or PTBNL (Post #21)

djoctagone

catcher andrew susac has been designated for assignment. the brewers have seven days to release, trade or outright him to the minors. if another team claims him, susac has one minor league option remaining.

the brewers still have four catchers on their 40-man roster, and only one who can be optioned.

The 40 man may be full now, but there could be 3-4 DFAs at the end of spring training (Bandy, Guerra, Drake).

Interesting that Nottingham would be the only catcher on the 40 man, not on the 25 man roster, but I'm not sure he'd be the first one called in case of a catcher injury.

I got killed for saying he was horrible and unnecessary to have. Something must have changed since then.

Yes. We added a relief pitcher named Matt Albers.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The 40 man may be full now, but there could be 3-4 DFAs at the end of spring training (Bandy, Guerra, Drake).

Interesting that Nottingham would be the only catcher on the 40 man, not on the 25 man roster, but I'm not sure he'd be the first one called in case of a catcher injury.

It sure does seem like there will be room on the 40 man after Spring Training since as you stated they have three catchers battling for two spots and with the signing of Albers it doesn't look like even two of Guerra/Drake/Gallardo can make this team unless there is another injury. Nelson might not even have to go to the 60 day DL.

A little surprised it wasn't Bandy instead. The two have roughly the same talent level (IMO), and Susac has an option remaining while Bandy does not. Both were/are longshots at this point to make the MLB roster out of spring training.

Oh well. Hopefully, he clears waivers and gets another shot with the organization.

I have no idea if this was a complaint about him coming up, but Susac was the worst pitch framer I have ever seen. That guy could take pitches on the corner and make them look 6 inches outside.

He looked like Ben Sheets at the plate, so I am not losing any sleep over this move. Honestly, I think Susac is the worst position player I have ever watched in the major leagues.

[sarcasm]Ryan Braun has informed the media that he will play some games at catcher if necessary[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]He’s just looking for some good press.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I got killed for saying he was horrible and unnecessary to have. Something must have changed since then.

Yes. We added a relief pitcher named Matt Albers.

Doesn't change the value of susac 1 bit.

All it means is that Albers was deemed more valuable than Susac and that Bandy and Nottingham were deemed more valuable than Susac.

I have no idea if this was a complaint about him coming up, but Susac was the worst pitch framer I have ever seen. That guy could take pitches on the corner and make them look 6 inches outside.

He looked like Ben Sheets at the plate, so I am not losing any sleep over this move. Honestly, I think Susac is the worst position player I have ever watched in the major leagues.

Based on all 12 plate appearances this past season? [sarcasm]Sure looked horrible in his 17 plate appearances in 2016.[/sarcasm]

250 career plate appearances and a career OPS+ of 91. Not terrible for a catcher at all.

I'm mildly surprised by this only because I figured he'd either be the first one DFA'd or he'd be kept around. If you buy the injury excuse for his 2017 performance, he's probably worth keeping around given his option situation and the likelihood that you're going to need a third catcher on the 40-man at some point and Nottingham isn't ready. If you don't buy injuries as the reason behind his performance, he'd be an easy early DFA.

[sarcasm]Ryan Braun has informed the media that he will play some games at catcher if necessary[/sarcasm]

First foul tip off the biceps = trip to 60 day DL. At least the Brewers would have another 40-man roster spot.

Based on all 12 plate appearances this past season? [sarcasm]Sure looked horrible in his 17 plate appearances in 2016.[/sarcasm]

250 career plate appearances and a career OPS+ of 91. Not terrible for a catcher at all.

Yes, based on 12 PAs. I am not saying he has the worst stats of all-time giving Bill Bergen a run for his money, my theory is based on watching him look utterly confused at the plate and watching the momentum from pitches he was "catching" push his arm back when they hit his glove. He just looked so overmatched it was glaring to me.

Yes, based on 12 PAs. I am not saying he has the worst stats of all-time giving Bill Bergen a run for his money, my theory is based on watching him look utterly confused at the plate and watching the momentum from pitches he was "catching" push his arm back when they hit his glove. He just looked so overmatched it was glaring to me.

I'm pretty sure I can find at least a dozen PAs a year where Braun looks lost at the plate.

Archived