Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers?

Let me preface by saying ultimately I am in the boat who wants to sign Darvish however it looks like we are not going to be getting him as his hope is to get back to LA. LA sounds interested to a certain extent but needs to clear salary space. No, I am not looking to get Kemp and prospects, however what about Ryu and Forsythe. Both are on one year contracts at approximately $8m each and both will likely give you at least above average production (2WAR). I think Forsythe specifically will do great things this year. I think this could strengthen both our rotation as well as 2b without costing all that much. I don't know exactly what it would take but something like Villar, Drake, Lopez? Not sure if that is enough but neither Forsythe or Ryu are cheap either. Thoughts?

Let me preface by saying ultimately I am in the boat who wants to sign Darvish however it looks like we are not going to be getting him as his hope is to get back to LA. LA sounds interested to a certain extent but needs to clear salary space. No, I am not looking to get Kemp and prospects, however what about Ryu and Forsythe. Both are on one year contracts at approximately $8m each and both will likely give you at least above average production (2WAR). I think Forsythe specifically will do great things this year. I think this could strengthen both our rotation as well as 2b without costing all that much. I don't know exactly what it would take but something like Villar, Drake, Lopez? Not sure if that is enough but neither Forsythe or Ryu are cheap either. Thoughts?

I don't think Forsythe is better than either of Perez or Sogard. Ryu could be an interesting target though. Drake has literally 0 value, he's probably going to get DFA'd for Albers when that move is made official. Ryu is tough to value at his cost and with his injury history. We can afford to take on an injury risk though, considering Burnes and Nelson will probably be ready to fill in after a couple months.

I don't think Forsythe is better than either of Perez or Sogard. Ryu could be an interesting target though. Drake has literally 0 value, he's probably going to get DFA'd for Albers when that move is made official. Ryu is tough to value at his cost and with his injury history. We can afford to take on an injury risk though, considering Burnes and Nelson will probably be ready to fill in after a couple months.

Forsythe had a .351 OBP last year and wore out LHP (.290/.418/.452) despite batting just .224. I think he's more valuable than you think. He's also solid defensively. In a soft platoon with Sogard, that's not a bad option.

That is my thought with Ryu, an interesting arm, maybe not the front of the rotation guy but someone who, when on the field, gives you solid to above average performance.

I can see that a bit but I think last year was a down year for Forsythe more than a projection to this year. I believe he went into the season hurt as well. He is similar to Perez and Sogard in that he is a versatile guy, though when in Tampa he was primarily used at 2nd where I would envision us utilizing him. Last year was a down year at just under 2 WAR but he was a 4 and 3 WAR player in the previous 2 seasons with good on base skills and plus defensive marks regardless of where he played on the field. I believe Forsythe will play much better this year and has a higher floor and ceiling than both Sogard and Perez.

For the trade, I know that Drake has little to no value, especially to us at this point but for the Dodgers, their motivation is more to shed salary to be able to get Darvish and stay under the penalty line. I wouldn't doubt that we may have to do better than my suggested offer but I just don't know how much.

Forsythe had a .351 OBP last year and wore out LHP (.290/.418/.452) despite batting just .224. I think he's more valuable than you think. He's also solid defensively. In a soft platoon with Sogard, that's not a bad option.

Do you think he's an upgrade over Perez? Take a look at his 3 year trend, he looks like he's falling off a cliff. 224/351/327 line last year with 1/3 of his atbats coming against lefties...he was clearly dreadful against RHP. He would only be valuable if he was strictly used against lefties, and that's difficult to utilize. I'd rather pay league minimum for similar production and more flexibility in Perez.

I've thought about Ryu too. If the Dodgers sign Darvish, they have a ton of starting pitching and Ryu could probably be had relatively cheaply. I'm fine with a 1-year signing if it keeps our top pitching prospects in Milwaukee. After 2018 we should know a lot more about what Woodruff,Ortiz, Burnes, Peralta et al are all about and if some can be counted on in the 2019 rotation.

I hate to make assumptions but could a reason for Darvish wanting to be in LA be because they have players of Asian descent like Ryu and Maeda?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Do the Dodgers have any need for Domingo? I'm assuming probably not, since Puig is in RF already - but it wasn't that long ago that they had a big need for a RH power bat in their lineup.

Dodgers get:

Domingo Santana

Brewers get:

Hyun Ji-Ryu

Walker Buehler or Yadier Alvarez

Will Smith

Dodgers get to clear the Ryu contract, which would help them with the money needed to then go sign Darvish (and it keeps him away from the Cubs, which benefits us). And, they also get a RH hitting power bat in Santana that can fit somewhere in the middle of their lineup. They are in a "win now" window, which means that this year is going to be more important to them than ever.

Ryu would at least help give us some rotation depth, although he certainly isn't the TOR starter that we are looking for. We'd only have him for one year though, so we're not on the hook for a ton of money there. Buehler might be an "untouchable" for the Dodgers, but if they would be willing to part with him, he'd be a huge get for us and might be ready to contribute this year already. If they don't want to give Buehler up in this deal, then Alvarez wouldn't be a bad option B. Since we are doing them a favor by taking Ryu and we are giving them a cheap, controllable big bat in Santana, I think we deserve something additional in this deal - so I think Will Smith would give us another good looking catching prospect in our system.

Thoughts? Probably not going to happen, but I personally think this could be a good trading partner for Domingo.

Do the Dodgers have any need for Domingo? I'm assuming probably not, since Puig is in RF already - but it wasn't that long ago that they had a big need for a RH power bat in their lineup.

Dodgers get:

Domingo Santana

Brewers get:

Hyun Ji-Ryu

Will Smith

Dodgers get to clear the Ryu contract, which would help them with the money needed to then go sign Darvish (and it keeps him away from the Cubs, which benefits us). And, they also get a RH hitting power bat in Santana that can fit somewhere in the middle of their lineup. They are in a "win now" window, which means that this year is going to be more important to them than ever.

Ryu would at least help give us some rotation depth, although he certainly isn't the TOR starter that we are looking for. We'd only have him for one year though, so we're not on the hook for a ton of money there. Buehler might be an "untouchable" for the Dodgers, but if they would be willing to part with him, he'd be a huge get for us and might be ready to contribute this year already. If they don't want to give Buehler up in this deal, then Alvarez wouldn't be a bad option B. Since we are doing them a favor by taking Ryu and we are giving them a cheap, controllable big bat in Santana, I think we deserve something additional in this deal - so I think Will Smith would give us another good looking catching prospect in our system.

Thoughts? Probably not going to happen, but I personally think this could be a good trading partner for Domingo.

Buehler being untouchable was one of the rumored reasons why the Dodgers didn't get heavily involved in Yelich. No way they offer Buehler for Santana straight up.

Dodgers get:

Domingo Santana

Brewers get:

Hyun Ji-Ryu

Will Smith

Buehler being untouchable was one of the rumored reasons why the Dodgers didn't get heavily involved in Yelich. No way they offer Buehler for Santana straight up.

I figured that was probably the case with Buehler, since he blew up last year. I wonder if they still consider Alvarez an "untouchable?"

I think that idea is bogus. Any prospect is attainable for the right price. If a team says a prospect is untouchable, they are just trying to drive up his cost. They are lying.

I think that idea is bogus. Any prospect is attainable for the right price. If a team says a prospect is untouchable, they are just trying to drive up his cost. They are lying.

Maybe...but if I were the Marlins I would have taken Buehler over any of Brinson, Harrison, Diaz and Yamamoto.

Maybe...but if I were the Marlins I would have taken Buehler over any of Brinson, Harrison, Diaz and Yamamoto.

Or, maybe the Dodgers just offered Buehler and one other lower-level prospect? The Marlins may have liked having three top-to-mid tier prospects from the Brewers instead. If it was just Buehler, then the deal immediately becomes terrible if he ends up being a "bust." If Brinson fails, then you at least still have Diaz and Harrison (and Jordan Y) to fall back on - and hopefully one of them at least becomes a good MLB player for you down the road.

Archived