Brewer Fanatic

Yasmani Grandal

Dadbauer
I know there was some speculation earlier in the offseason about possibly making a move for Grandal, but it may make more sense now. With the report that Yu Darvish wants to go back to LA once they move money around, perhaps part of moving that money around could mean trading a guy like Grandal who is a surplus for them at catcher. He would be a really good option for us this year and even though he's a free agent in 2019, he would serve as a good bridge until we find a suitable replacement. Not only that, but it would like keep Darvish out of Chicago.

No, I think we have a decent situation too, but we should be always looking to improve. We had a decent situation in the OF too last week, but look where we are now. Grandal and Pina looks a lot better than Pina and Vogt especially if you can get him on the cheap if the Dodgers scramble to make room for Yu.

Ik it sounds crazy but for competition purpose does it hurt to take a look at bringing Lucroy back ik he’s struggled but he did look better once he was back in the NL last year

I love Luc, but he's not going to want to be in a timeshare with Manny, and Manny doesn't deserve to get benched.

But if he continues to languish on the market, and will sign a cheap contract, maybe ...

I just don’t think the Dodgers would want to get rid of him. You need 2 catchers anyway, and Barnes may end up playing quite a bit of 2B with Forsythe there. Remember he is versatile himself and is coming off a down year. If the dodgers are open to a trad win which they only want Vogt and a good-not great-prospect then sure

It's at least worth exploring, and it could have the added bonus of pushing Darvish away from the Cubs.

That's the key I think - everyone wins but the Cubs. Dodgers have payroll flexibility for Darvish and still have a great catcher, we now have two good options behind the dish and are improved, Cubs lose out on Darvish.

Am I crazy in thinking that we actually have a pretty decent situation behind the plate currently?

I join you in the crazy.

I don't know why everyone is trying to find a fix for catcher, I think Pina is in the top quarter of best catchers in the game. So you are really looking to improve upon Vogt.

So you are trying to better upon the 45-50 games that Vogt will start. Seems like diminishing returns to throw money to receive marginal improvement, especially when we have 5 catchers on the 40 man roster.

I am on the side (if there is one) that sees Manny Pina as a great backup catcher or a catcher that splits time with someone. I don't see him as a guy that you'll want to count on for 120 games of producing great numbers. He caught just about 100 games last year and really tailed off offensively as the season wore on. I would gladly support a Grandal addition because you could then play them each 2-4 times a week depending on the matchups and keep both of them fresh down the stretch. You can still do that with Vogt but Grandal is superior in just about every category.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I am on the side (if there is one) that sees Manny Pina as a great backup catcher or a catcher that splits time with someone. I don't see him as a guy that you'll want to count on for 120 games of producing great numbers. He caught just about 100 games last year and really tailed off offensively as the season wore on. I would gladly support a Grandal addition because you could then play them each 2-4 times a week depending on the matchups and keep both of them fresh down the stretch. You can still do that with Vogt but Grandal is superior in just about every category.

Maybe Pina was worn out because he had to catch every game for a month when Vogt got injured because Bandy wasn't good enough to do more than 2-3 starts in that month.

Assuming that doesn't happen again, and with a full season under his belt, I would think less drop off in 2018.

Maybe Pina was worn out because he had to catch every game for a month when Vogt got injured because Bandy wasn't good enough to do more than 2-3 starts in that month.

Assuming that doesn't happen again, and with a full season under his belt, I would think less drop off in 2018.

Manny Pina really never has caught that many games in a season(last year was his only 100+ game season of his entire career) no matter if it was last season or any of his minor league seasons. It's a big reason why I would gladly support adding a Grandal because I'm not sold on Pina being anything better than a really good backup catcher.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Manny Pina really never has caught that many games in a season(last year was his only 100+ game season of his entire career) no matter if it was last season or any of his minor league seasons. It's a big reason why I would gladly support adding a Grandal because I'm not sold on Pina being anything better than a really good backup catcher.

Instead of helping the Dodgers clear payroll to sign Darvish by trading for Grandal, why not sign Lucroy instead?

Instead of helping the Dodgers clear payroll to sign Darvish by trading for Grandal, why not sign Lucroy instead?

Not sure Lucroy is all the good anymore. I guess it would depend on the contract needed to get him. But from things posters have posted about his defense, it doesn't seem wise.

Archived