Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Matt Albers - 2 year deal

KeithStone53151

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we're to believe HighHeat as gospel (and given the results, I'd be close to it), maybe this is the smaller deal he mentioned that was brewing outside of the Santana deal (which hasn't happened yet for whatever reason).

He specifically noted it was a trade. I'm excited for that guy to get back, I enjoyed dreaming on those insider tid bits.

Albers is a great signing, especially at that price. While he is entering his age 35 year old season, and has been inconsistent year to year, he was fantastic last season (1.62 ERA, 0.852 WHIP)
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If we're to believe HighHeat as gospel (and given the results, I'd be close to it), maybe this is the smaller deal he mentioned that was brewing outside of the Santana deal (which hasn't happened yet for whatever reason).

My guess is the smaller deal is Broxton or perhaps one of our 1B if Braun is moving there.

Why was he so cheap other than being old?

Age, he had a terrible 2016, his stuff isn't incredibly overpower...fangraphs had him at 93.5 mph fastball and 87.1 mph slider last year...doesn't throw much else. Almost makes it shocking that a guy with that stuff posted such incredible numbers last year.

I like the signing. My guess is 2/$5 million type deal.

Basically he signed for the same deal as Hughes got from the Reds. He was awful for the White Sox in 2016 but rebounded well in 2017 and other than that season, he's been good since 2012. His name did come up in a thread somewhere when all the relievers had been getting gobbled up for big bucks.

I like the signing. My guess is 2/$5 million type deal.

My guess is a little more than that. He's a slight upgrade over Jared Hughes. He was awful for the White Sox in 2016 but rebounded well in 2017 and other than that season, he's been good since 2012. His name did come up in a thread somewhere when all the relievers had been getting gobbled up for big bucks.

Rosenthal confirmed that it's 2/$5M

Is there a buyout or a date in which we can cut this guy and not be on the hook for al $5M?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Low risk, high reward. He was very good last season full stop, but even if he starts struggling if you look at his career splits he could be an effective ROOGY (he has been historically quite bad vs LHB). We already have two LHP locked in to the bullpen, so Albers compliments them.

Archived