Brewer Fanatic

Stearns and Counsell- How much rope does each have?

rickh150

Thinking forward on the Packers, you have to believe that McCarthy has little rope in keeping his job as head coach after this upcoming season. Meaning, he has to win many games and some post season games this season. I figure that he has to win the division and get to the NFC Championship Game. If he gets in as a Wild Card, it will take a trip to the Super Bowl to save his job.

With Kidd gone, the rope on the interim Bucks coach might be to actually get to the NBA Finals. Anything short of that will probably get him replaced.

That got me thinking about the rope that Stearns has from Attanasio and CC has from

DS. If the Brewers don't make the playoffs in the next I'll say five seasons, Stearns is out. If the Brewers don't make the playoffs in my guess of two seasons, CC is out.

You?

You?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't love the bullpen usage by CC but at the same time he was working with some slop. 2 biggest concerns with coaching and fo: Sedar at 3b, CC with the pen.

Only dude I call at risk in the slightest is Sedar at 3b coach.

Counsell and Stearns will sign lifetime contracts after they win the World Series this upcoming season. Might as well close this thread down. Heard it here first! (Sorry HighHeat19)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I was just trying to gauge our new expectations, comparatively to the other sports in the state.

But why would it matter what other franchises are doing in the state of Wisconsin or just other franchise in general? This just wasn’t a topic that really had any legs at all.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wow, tough crowd here! Haha. Did people even read the original post or did everyone just jump on it because of the title? He didn't bring it up to say he thinks either is in immediate danger and clearly framed it as expectations in years, which in an offseason where we just made a couple bold moves seems fair to wonder about.

Personally, I think the Yelich trade and Cain signing does put some expectations in place for them to get to the playoffs sooner than later, otherwise you would have rolled with the prospects and seen where they got us first. So I think your timeframes are about right. If they go the next two seasons without getting into the playoffs, I think Counsell starts feeling some heat, and if it's three seasons you gotta start questioning the moves Stearns' has made at that point.

All that said, I'm very high on DS and CC and I think MA is too, so I don't anticipate it getting to that very soon.

Wow, tough crowd here! Haha. Did people even read the original post or did everyone just jump on it because of the title? He didn't bring it up to say he thinks either is in immediate danger and clearly framed it as expectations in years, which in an offseason where we just made a couple bold moves seems fair to wonder about.

Personally, I think the Yelich trade and Cain signing does put some expectations in place for them to get to the playoffs sooner than later, otherwise you would have rolled with the prospects and seen where they got us first. So I think your timeframes are about right. If they go the next two seasons without getting into the playoffs, I think Counsell starts feeling some heat, and if it's three seasons you gotta start questioning the moves Stearns' has made at that point.

All that said, I'm very high on DS and CC and I think MA is too, so I don't anticipate it getting to that very soon.

Well stated.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think what OP is trying to say is "if Attanasio is willing to spend more, the expectation is that the team should start winning, and Stearns will get a shorter leash"

In that same regard, if Stearns provides Counsel with a talent-laden roster, his expectations, likewise will be higher, and he will also get a shorter leash.

I think most would disagree with those sentiments, unless DS goes completely off the deep end, builds a 140 million dollar roster, and wins about 63 games 3 years in a row, all while gutting the farm system to do it.

Thinking forward on the Packers, you have to believe that McCarthy has little rope in keeping his job as head coach after this upcoming season. Meaning, he has to win many games and some post season games this season. I figure that he has to win the division and get to the NFC Championship Game. If he gets in as a Wild Card, it will take a trip to the Super Bowl to save his job.

With Kidd gone, the rope on the interim Bucks coach might be to actually get to the NBA Finals. Anything short of that will probably get him replaced.

That got me thinking about the rope that Stearns has from Attanasio and CC has from

DS. If the Brewers don't make the playoffs in the next I'll say five seasons, Stearns is out. If the Brewers don't make the playoffs in my guess of two seasons, CC is out.

You?

You?

These are reasonable thoughts. For McCarthy, I actually think anything short of a Super Bowl appearance will get him fired. That's why I think we have the new power structure with MM answering to Murphy. The new GM will get three years or so.

For the Bucks, that's probably an accurate assessment, given that this is an interim coach. He maybe stays with a trip to conference finals, but as an interim coach, there is not much job security going forward.

For the Brewers, I agree completely.

This is a reasonable thread, given that we have now transitioned from rebuilding to competing for a title.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Agreed that thread title is a bit misleading. Topic is fine.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'll give him 6 years since he took over with one of the worst farms systems. If no playoffs in 6 years then definitely think about making a move. Any GM can sell off assets and get a good return. We will see how he does with future draft picks and moves.

• 5 months later...

I'll mainly stick with my offseason analysis, slightly different though. Not meant to be negative as much as it looks....

Packers need to win a playoff game. No playoff win and I think MM will probably be gone.

Bucks guy gets two years at least, and he need to win two playoff series in the 2019-2020 season (Conf Finals).

CC gets this year and next. Without the playoffs in either year, he'll be on thin ice. Expectations are much higher in 2018 than 2016. Stearns gets one extra (2020) to get to the playoffs.

On the positive side, if we make the playoffs this year, each has at least three more after 2018. Sniff the WS, you can double it.

Archived