Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun Willing to Try Playing 1B and 2B [Post #220: Proposal for Braun at 2B]

trwi7
Seems like Braun played 1B the last 2-3 games, anything to report on how he did on D? Obviously an uneventful day is a good day, but from people who were there or watched the games? I know he hit the two ding dongs yesterday so maybe he is still a quality MLB hitter.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scooped one from Arcia, caught a popup, snared a grounder and took it to the bag himself...that's what I remember from yesterday.

Sounds like he should be expecting a gold glove trophy.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Seems like Braun played 1B the last 2-3 games, anything to report on how he did on D? Obviously an uneventful day is a good day, but from people who were there or watched the games? I know he hit the two ding dongs yesterday so maybe he is still a quality MLB hitter.

To me he's seemed fine. Saw him make a nice snag on a liner early on in L.A. Haven't seen anything that stands out that makes me think he can't.

I think it's less of whether or not can he do it, and much more can he do it without causing discomfort or injury that affects his play.

And while I do believe he can still be a quality MLB hitter when healthy, to me again it's silly to conclude anything based off of one MLB game, much less a spring training game. Villar and Broxton both had multi-HR games in the regular season last year. It's not very meaningful on its own any more than it would be meaningful if he went 0 for 4 with 4 Ks today.

Scooped one from Arcia, caught a popup, snared a grounder and took it to the bag himself...that's what I remember from yesterday.

Does throwing factor in? He still can't throw. :laughing

He looked good at 1B in this game, I think he should be the regular 1B starter as he's a better hitter than Thames.

The Brewers should try to trade Thames instead of Santana. Keep Aguilar as the backup 1B and pinch hitter, and keep Choi in AAA as the 3rd 1B.

https://youtu.be/wIubqc0F1Is

Sure. Not as much as 3rd obviously, but trying to go quick to 2nd to turn 2, go home, those will come into play, and I expect that will probably be his weakness.

But the other stuff, scooping, covering, instincts -- I think he'll be fine.

The Brewers should try to trade Thames instead of Santana. Keep Aguilar as the backup 1B and pinch hitter, and keep Choi in AAA as the 3rd 1B.

Adam Lind just signed a minor league deal. Nobody is trading for Thames right now, and the Brewers need an LHB 1B/PH even if Braun does play ~120 games at 1B. Thames has also been a significantly better player than Aguilar for their entire careers, including even last year when Aguilar over-achieved dramatically. Keeping Aguilar instead of Thames does not add up. If they don't want Thames, they'll keep Choi instead.

[sarcasm]I said gold glove, not gold arm.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Right, a team would just take Choi/Lind types without giving up anything and not paying 5 million or whatever salary Thames has locked in. I seem to remember Jesus is out of options, is that correct? Sure would be nice to have both him and Choi at AAA ready to come up when one of Braun/Thames gets hurt.

Adam Lind just signed a minor league deal. Nobody is trading for Thames right now, and the Brewers need an LHB 1B/PH even if Braun does play ~120 games at 1B. Thames has also been a significantly better player than Aguilar for their entire careers, including even last year when Aguilar over-achieved dramatically. Keeping Aguilar instead of Thames does not add up. If they don't want Thames, they'll keep Choi instead.

I figure Thames has more trade value than Aguilar and that was the reason why I want to trade him. But if Thames can't be traded, I'm fine with keeping him on the bench as backup 1B to give Braun some days off.

Right, a team would just take Choi/Lind types without giving up anything and not paying 5 million or whatever salary Thames has locked in. I seem to remember Jesus is out of options, is that correct? Sure would be nice to have both him and Choi at AAA ready to come up when one of Braun/Thames gets hurt.

No more options. This website is great for that sort of thing. It even has Guerra up to date with the "redshirt" option that was granted this year:

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-milwaukee-brewers

We are replacing Aguilars ABs with Braun. Why are you guys so up in arms about losing a (likely) .750 OPS bat?

Braun's durability is what I'm up in arms about. Thames having to play 1b full time and vs Leftys. Thames handling that workload and not injuring himself. But I suppose the JiMan is an option, so long as he stays on the team in the minors.

Thames gave the Brewers 2.1 WAR last year, while Lind gave the Nationals 0.9 WAR. Thames may or may not have trade value to other teams at this time, but Lind's contract status probably isn't the best barometer from which to get your read. Thames is better than Lind.

If Braun is good enough at first that the Brewers decide to name him the everyday first baseman, and if that led to them trading Thames, I don't see a need to keep a LH backup 1B. I think it's rare to keep multiple guys who primarily play first base. Trading Thames would seem to make it more likely that Aguilar would be kept, but it would still have to make the most sense for the roster. It would be pretty easy to simply let Shaw or someone else play 1B when Braun needs a day off, with Ji-Man getting called up if/when Braun gets injured. But mainly it depends on all of the options and which one makes to most sense as the season is ready to begin.

It still seems that the likely scenario is that Aguilar is the odd man out, with Braun splitting time at 1B / OF, and Thames getting a lot of PAs as the primary 1B vs RHP. We'll probably roll with a four man bench so we can have an eight-man pen. We need a backup catcher, and the "three headed monster" will take up two bench spots. Braun/Thames is probably the fourth spot, so we may not have room for Broxton or Phillips, let alone Aguilar.

Thames, Broxton and Aguilar may not have a ton of trade value, but it really seems like someone should be traded, even if it's just for teenage prospects a la the Lind trade a few years ago. But this offseason has been anything but normal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Would love to to just prove this thread completely wrong and have Braun avoid the DL entirely this season. Wishful thinking, but consider me an optimist! I think the experiment with him at 1B has everything to do with trying to make it happen.

1B is a different position for Braun to adjust to, but it's the easiest defensive position to play on the diamond from an athletic/wear and tear standpoint. And it's not like playing in the infield is foreign to him. Braun was the U of Miami's starting shortstop and 3B in college and didn't really play OF until it was obvious that he had throwing accuracy issues on plays MLB third baseman have to make.

You can look at all the plays in the MLB box scores to see what types of plays Braun has been involved in.

From yesterday's box score, he can throw without making an error.

Matt Skole grounds into a force out, first baseman Ryan Braun to shortstop Orlando Arcia. Yoan Moncada to 3rd. Jose Abreu out at 2nd. Matt Skole to 1st.

Thames gave the Brewers 2.1 WAR last year, while Lind gave the Nationals 0.9 WAR. Thames may or may not have trade value to other teams at this time, but Lind's contract status probably isn't the best barometer from which to get your read. Thames is better than Lind.

Thames played more than twice as much. Lind also played nearly half his innings as an outfielder. I guarantee Eric's WAR would have been a lot lower and Lind's higher if they switched places. Lind is also much more proven. It was Eric's first decent year. And Lind isn't even that much older.

Nobody is giving up anything for Thames in an off-season in which Lind signs a minor league deal, Morrison gets a 1-year deal for about what Thames makes, Duda gets a 1-year deal for about half that, and Mark Reynolds can't even get a deal. Thames probably has negative trade value at this point.

I'm not real attached to Thames or anything. I'd be fine with dumping him for a complete nobody if they find an upgrade or want to give Choi a chance. I doubt that happens, but I'd trust them if that's what they decide. Keeping Aguilar instead of him would make no sense though.

You can look at all the plays in the MLB box scores to see what types of plays Braun has been involved in.

From yesterday's box score, he can throw without making an error.

Matt Skole grounds into a force out, first baseman Ryan Braun to shortstop Orlando Arcia. Yoan Moncada to 3rd. Jose Abreu out at 2nd. Matt Skole to 1st.

Well, that seals it. He is our first basemen.

• 3 months later...

Doing this occasionally....

Gets our best bats 4 ABs a game (Braun 2B, Thames RF)

Can insert Or switch Sogard or Perez late in game if winning

Can place Braun on opposite side of pull hitter ( righty-2B, lefty-SS)

Isn't ideal, but what we are doing now is not either

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Aguilar

Thames

Pina

Sogard/Villar

If Schwarber can play left field, why can't braun play 2b?

I think Braun would be a better at 2B than Schwarber is in LF. Not saying much at all. I also think Braun would spend half the year on the DL.

Yeah if someone slid within 3 feet of Braun trying to turn a double play, he'd probably break 3 bones in his leg and be out for the season. A majority of the reason I like him at 1b over LF is less wear and tear, 2nd base would only make things worse. Don't have to run and dive and jump as much...less aggravating his fragile body.

And Schwarber, I really hope they keep playing him in left field. I want to see more "dives" from him. I know we won 2 games, but his "not even close to making the catch" belly flop on Monday was the highlight of this series for me.

If Schwarber can play left field, why can't braun play 2b?

I think Braun would be a better at 2B than Schwarber is in LF. Not saying much at all. I also think Braun would spend half the year on the DL.

Yeah if someone slid within 3 feet of Braun trying to turn a double play, he'd probably break 3 bones in his leg and be out for the season. A majority of the reason I like him at 1b over LF is less wear and tear, 2nd base would only make things worse. Don't have to run and dive and jump as much...less aggravating his fragile body.

And Schwarber, I really hope they keep playing him in left field. I want to see more "dives" from him. I know we won 2 games, but his "not even close to making the catch" belly flop on Monday was the highlight of this series for me.

Yep, seems Schwarber is good for one of those dive attempts at least once a series. Never gets old.

Archived