Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun Willing to Try Playing 1B and 2B [Post #220: Proposal for Braun at 2B]

trwi7

"Hey Ryan, don't tell Domingo, but he's going to be traded for sure. Can we leak some crap about how you're willing to play at 2nd so that it doesn't seem to trade partners like we NEED to trade him? Don't worry, you'll never play an inning there."

"Sure David, no problem."

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not even sure 1B is all that realistic much less second. This is posturing.

I said realistic, not that it will happen or not that he could definitely adapt to the position. How many good corner outfielders move to 1b late in their career? Plenty...I'd go as far as to say it's common. How many move to 2b? Goose egg.

October 17 2017.

Braun stated he's open to playing 1b. If personel requires it.

Braun states he hates 3b.

Braun states he talks to CC about playing SS all the time. Braun likes SS and thinks he can do it.

We add yelich cain.

Personel requires it. Check.

2b? Nope but if he thinks he can play SS sure he thinks he can play 2b. Can't play SS either.

1b... thats nothing new. Its not smoke. For 3 straight years we had less in the OF (4th) than we had at 1b. (Lind carter thames/aguilar)

Its time to make the switch to 1b.

But his range is bad. Sure. Is thames/aguilars range good?

"Hey Ryan, don't tell Domingo, but he's going to be traded for sure. Can we leak some crap about how you're willing to play at 2nd so that it doesn't seem to trade partners like we NEED to trade him? Don't worry, you'll never play an inning there."

"Sure David, no problem. I'm great at lying."

FIFY

Who believed braun when he said he can play SS in oct? Who believed 2b? No shot. YuniB thinks Braun in the middle infield is hilarious.

1b... I believe it. Until I see he can't play it I'm leaning my odds to him being able to play 1b higher than him not being able to play 1b.

I have no doubt in my mind that he could play 2B.....he was a middle infielder in college and still thinks of himself as a SS....id give him some innings at 1B and 2B in spring training....what a line-up .....cain...yelich....braun ...shaw...Santana...thames...pina...arcia...pitcher.....

Braun should be able to play 1B. If Thames and Lucroy can play 1B, I don't see why Braun couldn't.

1b is the easiest position on the field to learn and learn quickly. It doesn't mean he's going to be an average mlb defender right away, it also doesn't mean he's going to take to the position. I suspect Braun has been working out at 1b all offseason, as both him and Stearns have said they might make the move this year either part or full time. Hopefully he's taking to it and handles the position well enough to play, not everybody does. I think it's a bit silly that some people are completely dismissing the possibility of Braun playing some 1b.

I enjoyed watching Braun play SS at Miami. He played SS until he was 21. For whatever reason he just couldn’t play third. He is an athlete and a ball player. I’d be interested to see how he does at wherever they try him. If it busts in Spring, they aren’t going to put themselves in a position to lose by forcing it. It’s funny people are so negative about the idea of them “trying him at 1b & maybe 2nd. What does it hurt? He steals some AB from Sogard & Villar in Spring? Oh no. Worth the look if you want the most dynamic possible offense.

I don’t feel he will play any 2nd but man a Thames & Braun platoon at 1B would be amazing. More so if they held onto Santana (doubtful). Thames can’t hit a lefty to save his life. Crushes righties like an animal. Braun destroys lefties like few in baseball.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

If Ryan.....Braun plays one.....inning at 2B.....I will buy you a $14 beer and......unlimited nachos

You might want to change that from "plays one inning" to "starts one game". Remember, Carlos Gomez played an inning of shortstop once before. Weird things can happen in long extra inning games, or with late game injury replacements. Braun would probably be first up for middle infield if Villar, Sogard, Perez, arcia were all unavailable for some reason.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Ryan.....Braun plays one.....inning at 2B.....I will buy you a $14 beer and......unlimited nachos

You might want to change that from "plays one inning" to "starts one game". Remember, Carlos Gomez played an inning of shortstop once before. Weird things can happen in long extra inning games, or with late game injury replacements. Braun would probably be first up for middle infield if Villar, Sogard, Perez, arcia were all unavailable for some reason.

In the super super super unlikely event that Braun were to play 2B, I'd put a paycheck on Counsell giving him direct orders to not turn any DP's unless the runner was still more than 40 feet away from him. Braun can't swing a bat or run bases without pulling something, or twisting his back, or getting some ache or pain. There's no way they'd want him getting run over in a collision at second turning a double play.

Mark me down for the some sort of platoon at first. I think he'd benefit so much from more time off. Maybe that's too much time off, but I'd like to see them keep Braun as fresh as possible for the remainder of his career. I'm still not sure he can play well at first, but would like to see it in spring training.

Archived