Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun Willing to Try Playing 1B and 2B [Post #220: Proposal for Braun at 2B]

trwi7
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something tells me that if Ryan Braun couldn't handle playing 3B when he was 23 years old, he probably can't handle 2B at age 34.

My memory might be off, but I feel like his problem wasn't fielding, it was throwing the ball to first base.

Something tells me that if Ryan Braun couldn't handle playing 3B when he was 23 years old, he probably can't handle 2B at age 34.

My memory might be off, but I feel like his problem wasn't fielding, it was throwing the ball to first base.

Glad you don’t have to throw to first at second base!!

Said 46 minutes again later for effect!

Our best hitters would be in the lineup, for all the negatives it might bring.

If we get a lead, we can get a better d in, and hand the game over to one of the best bullpens in the league.

Not a crazy idea.

Ryan Braun trying to turn DPs...honestly sounds like one of the worst ideas ever. He would probably get injured often as an added bonus.

It’s beyound crazy and to think there is any chance it happens in the middle of the season is complete non sense.

If there was any possibility of Braun seeing time at 2nd it would have been trialed in spring training. It's just not happening. There's the same chance of him seeing time at SS.

Aguilar played 3B this year. It wasn't ideal, but he did well.

Much the same, It could happen if offense continues to get little from 2B, SS, and C.

Is it likely? No.

Should it be a possibility, much like Aguilar at 3B? Yes.

Just trotting out same ol options without trying something different is just as crazy...

Again, he doesn't need to play there entire game.

Just trotting out same ol options without trying something different is just as crazy...

The Brewers are in first place. Why do we need to get extra creative with the team defense right now?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Brewers are in first place. Why do we need to get extra creative with the team defense right now?

To be better...

Pitching high in the zone, shifting too much, having starters go just 5 innings or 80 pitches, having 4 or 5 legit starting outfielders on the roster......

All of these were complaints that turned to positives or normals for our team. I think Braun at 2B could be the same. Play him there for his first two at bats and then move him to LF, 1B, or bench. Our team is great when we get a lead and hand the game to the bullpen.

Get easily the best offense out there early and then adjust.

Pitching high in the zone, shifting too much, having starters go just 5 innings or 80 pitches, having 4 or 5 legit starting outfielders on the roster......

All of these were complaints that turned to positives or normals for our team. I think Braun at 2B could be the same. Play him there for his first two at bats and then move him to LF, 1B, or bench. Our team is great when we get a lead and hand the game to the bullpen.

Braun: .245/.300/.446/.746, 0.4 bWAR

Villar: .272/.320/.402/.723, 0.8 bWAR

The offensive upgrade here isn't enough to justify the enormous hit you'll take defensively and the higher rate of injury you'll have to Braun. You're not replacing Arcia's offense here.

Braun: .245/.300/.446/.746, 0.4 bWAR

Villar: .272/.320/.402/.723, 0.8 bWAR

The offensive upgrade here isn't enough to justify the enormous hit you'll take defensively and the higher rate of injury you'll have to Braun. You're not replacing Arcia's offense here.

You make good points.

Yet, Villar is not great defensively and the odds Villar's hitting stats stay equal or better than Braun for the year are not good. Braun is hitting the ball hard now, as well.

More than anything, the perceived weakness on this team is its offense. And again, he doesn't need to play the position daily or even the whole game when he does. Why not give it a shot?

Villar isn't an elite defender, but from what I see he's come a long ways. He's become fairly sure-handed at 2nd, and I saw him make a play just last inning that Braun definitely doesn't get to. I'd probably put him in the 'slightly above average' category at this point.

I guess my question to you would be, if you're really looking to significantly upgrade the offense and are willing to do so at the expense of infield defense occasionally, why aren't you just giving him those innings at SS?

Villar isn't an elite defender, but from what I see he's come a long ways. He's become fairly sure-handed at 2nd, and I saw him make a play just last inning that Braun definitely doesn't get to. I'd probably put him in the 'slightly above average' category at this point.

I guess my question to you would be, if you're really looking to significantly upgrade the offense and are willing to do so at the expense of infield defense occasionally, why aren't you just giving him those innings at SS?

I am willing to switch SS from time to time too, but Braun there seems to be an even bigger reach.

• 7 months later...
Someone resurrect the Ryan Braun to Practice at 2B thread.

Your wish is my command.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 4 weeks later...
Counsell said going forward Braun is not likely to see much time at 1B.

This is expected but one could interpret it as a vote of confidence in Aguilar as well as probably being good news for Thames.

What about second?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is expected but one could interpret it as a vote of confidence in Aguilar as well as probably being good news for Thames.

Or maybe it's because the Brewer's statistical measure of defense is similar to UZR/150, and UZR/150 had Braun at a poor -19.0 when playing 1B.

Or maybe it's because the Brewer's statistical measure of defense is similar to UZR/150, and UZR/150 had Braun at a poor -19.0 when playing 1B.

I mean I'm guessing it was a factor but I really doubt barely a 100 inning sample size of UZR/150 was the tipping point. I would guess it has a lot more to do with the somewhat lack of an outfield logjam now comparitvely to last spring and how they feel going forward this year with Aguilar and Thames.

I mean I'm guessing it was a factor but I really doubt barely a 100 inning sample size of UZR/150 was the tipping point. I would guess it has a lot more to do with the somewhat lack of an outfield logjam now comparitvely to last spring and how they feel going forward this year with Aguilar and Thames.

I highly doubt his defensive metrics from playing 12 games were a factor given they're clearly still open to Shaw playing 2b. Like Adam said, no OF logjam and Aguilar (plus still have Thames). Not to mention if we acquire Moose then Shaw could always slide to 1b too and he's actually played there previously. Or if we don't get Moose once Hiura is up if Shaw needed to slide to 1b we could still use the Spangeberg/Perez platoon at 3b worst case. There's literally no reason for Braun to spend any time at 1b.

Archived