Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun Willing to Try Playing 1B and 2B [Post #220: Proposal for Braun at 2B]

trwi7

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umm

Braun confirmed he’s game for trying first base and said he’s talked with David Stearns this winter about some second base, too.

That's ... um ... unexpected.

Well, if I remember right, Braun's throwing was his biggest weakness as a 3rd baseman. At least the throw is shorter from 2nd.

This talk screams misdirect, though. I still say Santana is dealt, and Broxton as well.

Total misdirect. He can't say that a teammate is about to be traded .... but, a teammate is about to be traded.

Putting Braun at 2B is an XBox move. While anyone would love his bat in the lineup at that spot, I can't think of anyone who has made a move from the outfield to the middle infield at the point in his career Braun is at. And with the way Stearns values up the middle defense, there is no way this is going to happen.

Something that isn’t said about Braun enough is his willingness to be a total team player. While this seems far fetched, it’s great to hear a player be willing to do anything for the team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm dubious, but I also feel the legend of his horrendous defense at 3B is overstated. He was a rookie still playing a new position who advanced to the majors very quickly because of his bat and didn't seem to really care about his defense. As a veteran player now who is still very athletic, I wouldn't be shocked if he could manage passable defense at 2B or 3B.

I'm dubious, but I also feel the legend of his horrendous defense at 3B is overstated. He was a rookie still playing a new position who advanced to the majors very quickly because of his bat and didn't seem to really care about his defense. As a veteran player now who is still very athletic, I wouldn't be shocked if he could manage passable defense at 2B or 3B.

This is a huge stretch. He is old now and getting older makes you slower, less athletic, and more injury prone. He would be lucky to play half of the games if he even attempted 2nd base.

Ryan Braun at 2B? Trying to get some good PR there Braun. Brownie points for you.

Cynical much?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It really can't be overstated how actually tremendously bad he was at 3B. People say "he just made a lot of throwing errors", which is true. But then also his range/zone ratings were horrible, no matter what metric you look at. He judged balls poorly, he had a terrible jump on anything hit his way, he was, by any metric, eye test or any way you want to judge it, a historically bad fielding third baseman.

I like that Braun is doing the "good teammate" thing and is willing to move, but the idea of Braun at 2B gives me the heebie jeebies. I could live with Braun at 1B.... maybe? But Braun at 2B is a disaster in the making.

Albert Pujols played 2B for about 2 innings in his career, it was at Miller Park (random factoid, I know).... Braun at 2B would likely be even worse than Yuni B at SS

Meanwhile: has the team completely given up on Villar? They have Sogard under contract too... Under what context is the Braun to 2B thing even part of the conversation? Is this merely in regards to the Santana trade negotiations?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just put Arcia on the pull side. Should work juuuuust fine!

Nobody is buying Braun to 2B. Why would they even suggest it?

People gave me all sorts of crap about the possibility that Stearns may have backed himself into a bit of a corner by acquiring too many outfielders. Is this perhaps him acting as though he’s completely fine with what’s he’s got when in reality he’s starting running out of options?

Braun has always been a little awkward in interviews. He tries to be polished but it comes across as the opposite of genuine. This could merely be his way of saying he's a team player.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived