Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

Well, you're insanely negative so I'm not surprised. We'll get value for Domingo whether you believe it or not.

Braun, full no trade clause. Cain, full no trade clause at least for this year and even without one, it's not like we were going to sign him just to trade him in June. Yelich, see Cain. So unless they're actually serious about moving Braun to 1st full time, in which case Thames and/or Aguilar is on the chopping block, where is Santana going to play. And yeah, they can move them around but they're not going to be considered full time players, so how happy are they going to be with that?

Sorry if I don't see rainbows and sunshine all the time but getting value for Santana got quite a bit harder than it was 24 hours ago and when reports came out earlier in the offseason about the market for Santana being cool to begin with, I'm not exactly optimistic that we're going to get good value for him.

Santana RF. There's room for 25 - 35 games in LF for Braun with normal rest days from yelich santana cain. No injuries. Aguilar basically become a ph. Thames becomes a part time player.

Im not concerned at all about the feelings of thames who can't hit lefties who had 1 monster month and a guy we scooped off waivers. I want abs going to great bats.

Are we going with a 8 man pitching staff? no backup catcher? no backup middle infielders? there's only 25 spots on the roster....

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pitcher issue

Pitching we do and we don't. We have 3 guys controlled 3-4 years. We have nelson 3 years back at some point hopefully. We have chacin for 2 years. Williams houser fperalta could hit the pen this year. Ortiz and burnes could be ready before we lose chacin. Today we need 1... by season end we could add that 1 and have 7. Good problem for sure.

However now we also have an offense that can go cain yelich santana shaw braun/thames. Never have an of spot filled by a guy outside that 5 pack unless one is hurt. A lineup that even if braun gets hurt has a vicious top 5 (keep aguilar) unless shaw yelich santana or cain are resting. We need to break that up? So we can see if thames and aguilar are really last years duo? Guys with admittedly low trade value.

This notion of you have to break off your 25 year old 4 year controlled power hitter who just had a 371 obp season because of thames and aguilar ab is bonkers.

You could deal santana and watch villar flame out. Thames be not the 1st month and aguilar regress and braun get more brittle. Only to have 7 arms. 1 with little to no value chacin and then you are back chasing a bat.

There's a glut on the horizon one place or another. If that's your options neither is critical. So you don't have to do anything.

We could also spend 18 mil per on a pitcher. There's no santana rival on the market. We got the 2 upgrades left and the rest are stuff.

Pitching is fragile today. We can buy a solution. Trade santana the offense is fragile and theres no solution to buy.

Are we going with a 8 man pitching staff? no backup catcher? no backup middle infielders? there's only 25 spots on the roster....

Pina vogt

Braun Thames Aguilar

Villar Sogard

Arcia

Shaw Perez

Yelich Cain Santana

Braun counts as the 4th Of but plays mainly 1b. Sogard perez villar are all super utility. Perez can also play LF. Villar can supposedly play CF, never again. Phillips in AAA. If an OF goes on the DL he comes up. Having Thames aguilar perez sogard vogt to ph is very nice. I'd yry to ph aguilar ever single game.

Pina vogt

Braun Thames Aguilar

Villar Sogard

Arcia

Shaw Perez

Yelich Cain Santana

Braun counts as the 4th Of but plays mainly 1b. Sogard perez villar are all super utility. Perez can also play LF. Villar can supposedly play CF, never again. Phillips in AAA. If an OF goes on the DL he comes up. Having Thames aguilar perez sogard vogt to ph is very nice. I'd yry to ph aguilar ever single game.

I think you need to really look at how you format your posts. They are so hard to read. But also, we probably need to put a pin in what the Brewers roster will look like as there seem to be even more changes on the way. Too hard to discuss what most likely won't be what we go into the season with.

Pitching is fragile today. We can buy a solution. Trade santana the offense is fragile and theres no solution to buy.

I think I would rather buy a corner OF than a pitcher. Pitching is almost always more expensive. And pitching wins rings. Also, our offense will be alright with or without Santana.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Cain will earn $13MM in 2018, $14MM in 2019, $15MM in 2020, $16MM in 2021 and $17MM in 2022.

This contract seems backwards based on anticipated production. But it does leave an additional $3M to add to what they spend on pitching in 2018.

Pina vogt

Braun Thames Aguilar

Villar Sogard

Arcia

Shaw Perez

Yelich Cain Santana

I think you need to really look at how you format your posts. They are so hard to read. But also, we probably need to put a pin in what the Brewers roster will look like as there seem to be even more changes on the way. Too hard to discuss what most likely won't be what we go into the season with.

I think I would rather buy a corner OF than a pitcher. Pitching is almost always more expensive. And pitching wins rings. Also, our offense will be alright with or without Santana.

Its the triple quote issue.

Name a decent OF available to buy. They are gone.

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Cain will earn $13MM in 2018, $14MM in 2019, $15MM in 2020, $16MM in 2021 and $17MM in 2022.

This contract seems backwards based on anticipated production. But it does leave an additional $3M to add to what they spend on pitching in 2018.

It's also $5 million short, which is probably a signing bonus probably spread out over the 5 years.

Edit: Or we're giving him $1 million a year for the 5 years after his contract is over, which I hate. *ducks*

Pina vogt

Braun Thames Aguilar

Villar Sogard

Arcia

Shaw Perez

Yelich Cain Santana

Its the triple quote issue.

I think it's the half sentences, statements, phrases, or whatever you want to call it. lol But yeah, triple quoting is a nuisance.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's also $5 million short, which is probably a signing bonus probably spread out over the 5 years.

This doesn't belong in this thread but it is a deferred payment of $1M for the five seasons after he is done with the Brewers.

Did they include the performance bonuses in the $80 million?

It mirrors Braun. As brauns declines cains increases.

I get that overall Yelich is a better player than Santana, that MIL is a more offensive-friendly park than MIA, and that Santana is limited defensively. But let's not forget that Santana 1) bested Yelich in OPS last year by a wide margin (.875 to ..807) and 2) is still pre-arb for another season. Santana was a 3.3 fWAR/3.0 bWAR player last year, and someone will get ~3 WAR for about $600K this season. Also, typically players don't get full value their first year of arby, so he will likely not get an 8-figure contract in 2019.

Santana will fetch value. Getting 3 WAR for $600K this year is an incredible value, and he will likely be a bargain in 2019 as well.

I get that overall Yelich is a better player than Santana, that MIL is a more offensive-friendly park than MIA, and that Santana is limited defensively. But let's not forget that Santana 1) bested Yelich in OPS last year by a wide margin (.875 to ..807) and 2) is still pre-arb for another season. Santana was a 3.3 fWAR/3.0 bWAR player last year, and someone will get ~3 WAR for about $600K this season. Also, typically players don't get full value their first year of arby, so he will likely not get an 8-figure contract in 2019.

Santana will fetch value. Getting 3 WAR for $600K this year is an incredible value, and he will likely be a bargain in 2019 as well.

Again, you would think that but from a month and a half ago.

The #Brewers are listening on Domingo Santana, but they don't appear to be getting much traction in trade talks. Santana is 25. He hit 30 HRs this year and made $542,000, and they're going to need an affordable impact starter who can eat innings in return. Not easy finding fits.

I asked around on Domingo Santana and heard some mixed reviews. A lot of swing and miss. Not a great OF defender. Will soon get more expensive in arbitration. One exec said #Brewers are trying to "sell high'' on him. Market not as brisk as Milwaukee might have hoped.

Now obviously things could've changed since then but it doesn't give you the feeling that we're going to get good value for Santana.

Does anybody know if the 40 man roster transaction of releasing Wang and adding Cain needed to be complete prior to any other transactions being made?

Just curious in general if that's the way things work. Well also, I'm a bit impatient as I feel like there must have been a Santana trade worked prior to signing Cain.

I also agree that they won't have a problem getting fair value for Santana if that's indeed the way they go

Again, you would think that but from a month and a half ago.

The #Brewers are listening on Domingo Santana, but they don't appear to be getting much traction in trade talks. Santana is 25. He hit 30 HRs this year and made $542,000, and they're going to need an affordable impact starter who can eat innings in return. Not easy finding fits.

I asked around on Domingo Santana and heard some mixed reviews. A lot of swing and miss. Not a great OF defender. Will soon get more expensive in arbitration. One exec said #Brewers are trying to "sell high'' on him. Market not as brisk as Milwaukee might have hoped.

Now obviously things could've changed since then but it doesn't give you the feeling that we're going to get good value for Santana.

And a week ago it was crazy that Yelich would be a Brewer. Markets change. Teams say things they don't mean to drive a price down, etc...

It'll work out. Or it won't. And we'll have a stacked lineup. Win-win!

No I'm saying they were listening to offers but it wasn't guaranteed that they were going to trade him. With Cain, Yelich and Braun's full no trade clause, we pretty much have to make a move and other teams know that.

Yeah, this isn't true at all.

So you're saying the Marlins were in a better spot with Yelich, a guy who demanded a trade, than the Brewers are with Santana, who is, what , blocked I guess? That's quite a reach.

And, btw, I like that you're a contrarian. We need those. I just think you're off on this one.

All of his trades below...

~traded Francisco Rodriguez for Manny Pina & Javier Betancourt

~traded Cy Sneed for Jonathan Villar

~traded Luis Sardinas for Ramon Flores

~traded Adam Lind for Carlos Herrera, Daniel Missaki & Freddy Peralta

~traded Jason Rogers for Trey Supak and Keon Broxton

~traded Trevor Seidenberger for Rymer Liriano

~traded Jean Segura & Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz & Cash

~traded Khris Davis for Bubba Derby and Jacob Nottingham

~traded Aaron Hill for Wendell Rijo and Aaron Wilkerson

~traded Jonathan Lucroy & Jeremy Jeffress for Lewis Brinson, Luis Ortiz & Ryan Cordell

~traded Will Smith for Phil Bickford & Andrew Susac

~traded Tyler Thornburg for Mauricio Dubon, Travis Shaw, Josh Pennington & Yeison Coca

~traded Drew Gagnon & Martin Maldonado for Jett Bandy

~traded Damien Magnifico for Oliver Drake (basically)

~traded Garrett Cooper for Tyler Webb

~traded Ryan Cordell for Anthony Swarzak

~traded Tayler Scott for Jeremy Jeffress

~traded Eric Hanhold for Neil Walker

~traded Lewis Brinson, Monte Harrison, Isan Diaz & Jordan Yamamoto for Christian Yelich

I count this one as well...

~traded Jonathan Lucroy for Francisco Mejia, Greg Allen, Yu-Cheng Chang & Shawn Armstrong

Not just “at Night” anymore.

That insight crasnick got from asking is amazing. Swing and misses a lot. Not a great OF and about to get more expensive. Nothing about hits for power, runs well, will still be really cheap even as he gets expensive, etc. Santana isnt an all star but he is a solid and cheap and young of. There is a market other teams just aren't going to lead how great they think he is

So you're saying the Marlins were in a better spot with Yelich, a guy who demanded a trade, than the Brewers are with Santana, who is, what , blocked I guess? That's quite a reach.

And, btw, I like that you're a contrarian. We need those. I just think you're off on this one.

If you're blocked by other players, you're not getting a lot of playing time, right? So how is that going to help Santana's value? Just because Yelich wanted to be traded doesn't mean the Marlins had to trade him. What's he going to do? Hold out until he's traded?

If you're blocked by other players, you're not getting a lot of playing time, right? So how is that going to help Santana's value? Just because Yelich wanted to be traded doesn't mean the Marlins had to trade him. What's he going to do? Hold out until he's traded?

You honestly can not believe he is blocked. If he's here Braun is a 1b come hell or high water. Thames is minimalized, aguilar is blocked. Santana is not blocked. Broxton and phillips sure are. Santana no.

Based on what we heard from HighHeat, it could have been the Brewers exploring what they could get for Santana ("doing their homework") prior to making a serious offer for Yelich. The Brewers could have been the hesitant party, as they didn't want to actually trade Santana until they knew they could get Yelich and knew what it would cost.

As HighHeat said, Yelich was A, signing Cain was B, and trading Santana was C.

Archived