Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

Eh, as Brad Ford pointed out, I just think it's positioning by the Brewers' brass to keep Santana's value up. It's always about leverage and value with these guys IMO.

Hard to keep leverage up when nobody believes it. Wouldn't be buying it for a second if I was another team.

We'll get value for Domingo.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can add relief options at the deadline to bolster what we already have. At the moment, starting pitching should be a bigger priority. At the moment, Hader/Suter/Gallardo/Burnes are our 5th starter. With the moves they've made, it doesn't make sense to enter the season without an established 5th guy. Let Woodruff be our question mark, we need someone better to lead the rotation. As of now, it's mostly mid-back end guys to go with a very strong offense.

You add bull pen arms at the deadline you tend to have to over pay big time. I think Hader needs to be in the starting rotation so I do not see him as an option in the pen and frankly I see the staring pitching as a stronger unit then the bull pen (with Hader in the mix)as of right now.

That's actually not necessarily true. I wouldn't say we overpaid for Swarzak. If we want someone like Chapman, maybe we'll have to shell out. I don't think we do that though, we can target guys of the Robertson/Kahnle caliber for a reasonable price.

And I agree that I'd like to see Hader start. I've been preaching it all offseason. I'm starting to deal with the reality that the Brewers are going to make the mistake of using him in the bullpen instead.

I have to believe Santana is already half way out the door with a couple different options close. So, I don't think there is anything to this report other than speculation that Braun could play 1st. I don't think there's any way they add two starting OFs without the intention of moving a starter.

I could be reading way too much into this, but in watching Cain's presser, it seems like Stearns and Counsell know something they aren't letting on. The questions regarding OF's and even Braun at 1B were answered extremely vaguely, and both guys seemed uncomfortable with a few of the questions which I found interesting. Maybe there is a sizable move in waiting...

Braun, full no trade clause. Cain, full no trade clause at least for this year and even without one, it's not like we were going to sign him just to trade him in June. Yelich, see Cain. So unless they're actually serious about moving Braun to 1st full time, in which case Thames and/or Aguilar is on the chopping block, where is Santana going to play. And yeah, they can move them around but they're not going to be considered full time players, so how happy are they going to be with that?

Sorry if I don't see rainbows and sunshine all the time but getting value for Santana got quite a bit harder than it was 24 hours ago and when reports came out earlier in the offseason about the market for Santana being cool to begin with, I'm not exactly optimistic that we're going to get good value for him.

We'll get value for Domingo

Braun, full no trade clause. Cain, full no trade clause at least for this year and even without one, it's not like we were going to sign him just to trade him in June. Yelich, see Cain. So unless they're actually serious about moving Braun to 1st full time, in which case Thames and/or Aguilar is on the chopping block, where is Santana going to play. And yeah, they can move them around but they're not going to be considered full time players, so how happy are they going to be with that?

Sorry if I don't see rainbows and sunshine all the time but getting value for Santana got quite a bit harder than it was 24 hours ago and when reports came out earlier in the offseason about the market for Santana being cool to begin with, I'm not exactly optimistic that we're going to get good value for him.

Yeah, people said the same thing about Yelich due to him "wanting out" of Miami. In baseball, you pay for cost controlled players, period.

Will we get a haul? No. We never were going to. He's a bad fielding OF more suited for DH. Are we going to get fair value? Absolutely. Why? David Stearns is our GM. He's not going to trade him for less than fair value. That much is certain.

We'll get value for Domingo

The market determines the value. What we get for him will be what he is worth. If we trade him at all.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The problem with the leverage argument is that it goes completely out the window once there's competition between two or more teams. If two teams feel his true value is X, but team A pays less knowing we have to move him, it's not like team B is going to say, "well if they didn't *have* to trade him we'd pay closer to X for him, but since they have no leverage we're going to let him go for less to another team."

Well, you're insanely negative so I'm not surprised. We'll get value for Domingo whether you believe it or not.

Santana RF. There's room for 25 - 35 games in LF for Braun with normal rest days from yelich santana cain. No injuries. Aguilar basically become a ph. Thames becomes a part time player.

Im not concerned at all about the feelings of thames who can't hit lefties who had 1 monster month and a guy we scooped off waivers. I want abs going to great bats.

The problem with the leverage argument is that it goes completely out the window once there's competition between two or more teams. If two teams feel his true value is X, but team A pays less knowing we have to move him, it's not like team B is going to say, "well if they didn't *have* to trade him we'd pay closer to X for him, but since they have no leverage we're going to let him go for less to another team."

Exactly, and surely more than 1 team could use a guy like Santana. Diamondbacks and Indians jump off the page at me for starters. And that's relatively moot most likely anyways, I fully believe a deal is already in place for Santana(noted by HH). They probably didn't want to announce it before the press conference with Cain and steal any of his thunder. My guess is it gets announced later tonight, maybe tomorrow, but probably tonight.

The market determines the value. What we get for him will be what he is worth. If we trade him at all.

Yep, exactly. Of course, players with the value of Yelich don't come on the market very often. It was the perfect storm of new ownership, cost cutting, a fire sale, and him wanting out that made him available. Typically a star-type player signed to his affordable contract wouldn't be going anywhere. That's why the team had to give up plenty to get him. They had to outbid probably 10-12 other teams.

Santana is even cheaper, younger, and is controlled for the next 4 years. He isn't the all-around player Yelich is, but he still carries a big value. I have a feeling that if he is traded, we'll be very happy with the return.

Everyone knew the Marlins were trading Yelich

No they didn't.

Are you insinuating that the Marlins just took the Brewers' offer without checking in on what the rest of the league might offer first?

No I'm saying they were listening to offers but it wasn't guaranteed that they were going to trade him. With Cain, Yelich and Braun's full no trade clause, we pretty much have to make a move and other teams know that.

The Brewers can know they are trading Santana and every MLB team can know. Regardless we are not going to come out to the press and say it. Stearns is not going to say they are trad By someone s till on the team, it just doesn’t work that way.

No I'm saying they were listening to offers but it wasn't guaranteed that they were going to trade him. With Cain, Yelich and Braun's full no trade clause, we pretty much have to make a move and other teams know that.

They have to make a move but it doesn't have to be one player. The Brewers today indicated Braun may play first so it could be Santana/Thames/Aguilar or a combination that is traded. I would love to see Santana stay and have Cain/Yelich/Braun/Shaw/Santana at the top of the lineup.

But you can say things like WE PRETTY MUCH HAVE TO DEAL SANTANA? To accomplish what? Not devaluing Thames? Or aguilar. Oh dear, not thames and aguilar. A 5 mil platoon 1b and a waiver wire dh pick up. Can we not add walker at risk of devaluing villar?

Santana's contract doesn't turn into a pumpkin at midnight and he's the best of on the market by a long shot for every team that can't afford jd... which is nearly everyone.

Yep. You would think by now that Stearns would get the benefit of the doubt but I guess there will always be "those fans." I mean, how many deals has Stearns really "lost?" You can say Khris Davis but we traded him for low level guys who are still developing so we truly don't know that deal yet. Maldy?

All of his trades below...

~traded Francisco Rodriguez for Manny Pina & Javier Betancourt

~traded Cy Sneed for Jonathan Villar

~traded Luis Sardinas for Ramon Flores

~traded Adam Lind for Carlos Herrera, Daniel Missaki & Freddy Peralta

~traded Jason Rogers for Trey Supak and Keon Broxton

~traded Trevor Seidenberger for Rymer Liriano

~traded Jean Segura & Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz & Cash

~traded Khris Davis for Bubba Derby and Jacob Nottingham

~traded Aaron Hill for Wendell Rijo and Aaron Wilkerson

~traded Jonathan Lucroy & Jeremy Jeffress for Lewis Brinson, Luis Ortiz & Ryan Cordell

~traded Will Smith for Phil Bickford & Andrew Susac

~traded Tyler Thornburg for Mauricio Dubon, Travis Shaw, Josh Pennington & Yeison Coca

~traded Drew Gagnon & Martin Maldonado for Jett Bandy

~traded Damien Magnifico for Oliver Drake (basically)

~traded Garrett Cooper for Tyler Webb

~traded Ryan Cordell for Anthony Swarzak

~traded Tayler Scott for Jeremy Jeffress

~traded Eric Hanhold for Neil Walker

~traded Lewis Brinson, Monte Harrison, Isan Diaz & Jordan Yamamoto for Christian Yelich

That's one hell of a track record for people to actually doubt him lol

Back when the Mets nicked our Gomez trade we had like 24 hours to dump Gomez when the entire world knew we wanted to trade him and we ended up with Santana, Phillips, Hader and Houser.

Right now they've got 2 months. As Brew said the market will determine his value if they don't already have something lined up. He's not going to get a king's ransom and never was, but they should get something pretty good. Will they get fair value for him, yes. There are plenty of teams who could use a 25 year old slugging corner outfielder with 4 years control. If they don't get fair value Stearns will hold him and make other arrangements.

I never like the argument that if a team has to trade a guy they get less value.

Most of the time it is used when a team is likely to trade a guy. That is the case with Santana. The Brewers are likely to trade Santana just like they were likely to trade Gomez and Lucroy and they got great value. outside of a guy saying he wants out or won't resign there isnt situations where you have to trade a guy. Every trade deadline is filled with guys who are very likely to be traded and teams still get good value. The Brewers could easily move Braun to first. They could keep Philips in triple a and have thames, broxton and Aguilar as bench bats.

~traded Francisco Rodriguez for Manny Pina & Javier Betancourt

loved (mainly because it got K-Rod off the team)

~traded Cy Sneed for Jonathan Villar

Fine with it

~traded Adam Lind for Carlos Herrera, Daniel Missaki & Freddy Peralta

Fine with it (a lot of people were pissed at that trade yet didn't get a ton of crap from other posters)

~traded Jason Rogers for Trey Supak and Keon Broxton

Loved

~traded Trevor Seidenberger for Rymer Liriano

Loved

~traded Jean Segura & Tyler Wagner for Chase Anderson, Aaron Hill, Isan Diaz & Cash

I think I was fine with this. Don't remember.

~traded Khris Davis for Bubba Derby and Jacob Nottingham

Honestly don't remember how I felt about this one.

~traded Aaron Hill for Wendell Rijo and Aaron Wilkerson

Didn't really expect much for Hill but thought this was light for a return iirc.

~traded Jonathan Lucroy & Jeremy Jeffress for Lewis Brinson, Luis Ortiz & Ryan Cordell

Liked this overall and better than the Cleveland deal.

~traded Will Smith for Phil Bickford & Andrew Susac

Liked.

~traded Tyler Thornburg for Mauricio Dubon, Travis Shaw, Josh Pennington & Yeison Coca

Thought it was light but Thornburg got hurt and Shaw was better than expected. Still think Shaw had a career year last year and didn't understand why we were trading for 27 year old average players like Shaw. I don't think Dubon is anything more than a utility guy. Pennington might be something but is a long ways away.

~traded Drew Gagnon & Martin Maldonado for Jett Bandy

I thought this was making a move just to make a move. Not bad, not good, just there, I guess? Saw no reason to trade Maldonado for another catcher.

~traded Damien Magnifico for Oliver Drake (basically)

Meh.

~traded Garrett Cooper for Tyler Webb

It looks like Webb sucks but Cooper sucks too so whatever.

~traded Ryan Cordell for Anthony Swarzak

Older prospect for a rental reliever. Whatever.

~traded Tayler Scott for Jeremy Jeffress

Fine.

~traded Eric Hanhold for Neil Walker

Fine.

~traded Lewis Brinson, Monte Harrison, Isan Diaz & Jordan Yamamoto for Christian Yelich

Don't like because I'm a huge Brinson and Harrison fan and we already had a ton of outfield depth in the majors.

Archived