Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

I'm a White Sox fan. We don't necessarily need an OF, with Eloy and Robert coming, and Avi Garcia, Engel, Delmonico, and Rutherford all fringe options.

But humor me, the stove is cold right now in Chicago.

I actually was trying to think of other options besides ones mentioned already and thought of the Sox. For an upside cost controlled P it could be Rodon back to MKE. Stuff is great if he could just get his control down a bit and stay healthy. I think Santana should have more value than Rodon though so more would have to come back to MKE so I don't know where you go after that since Sox shouldn't be giving up prospects. Maybe also swap Thames for Abreu and then have us kick in a P prospect? Something of that nature. You could then turn around and flip Thames and Santana for more prospects?

Well, I certainly wouldn't be willing to move Rodon for Santana straight up. I really don't see Rodon getting an extension from the Sox, so I'm not necessarily against moving him at some point, but his value is very low right. The Sox would be selling low on a hurt Rodon and buying high on Santana. I would rather roll the dice on Rodon just being healthy enough to either be useful, or to net more in a trade.

Would be willing to lose a couple of pitching prospects not named Kopech for a move though.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is wrong with Duffy's contract?

Absolutely nothing. Contract peaks at $15.5 Million in his final year and, in 2017, he was a >3 win pitcher in less than 150 innings. Fangraphs had him at a $27 Million value in 2017 fwiw.

If we got Duffy and Merrifield for Santana, we'd win in a major way. That's 6.5 fWAR of production out of positions we need. I see very little shot that happens.

Okay He is paid 15mil avg for the next 4 years. He's never started more than 26 games in a season. Has a Career Fip of 3.98 and will be 29years old. Santana is Pre-Arb and 3 years of Arb equal 4 years of control. Younger with a higher ceiling.

Salazar has a Career 3.56 Fip having pitched 30games in a season is paid 5mil this season with 2 years of Arb remaining for age 29 and 30 seasons.

If we just moved payroll to 100mil Duffy moves it to 115mil (a little under)

I think Duffy is an identical clone to a Lohse/Garza someone who will not pitch well in a couple years(if you even consider him pitching well now)

Honestly, if Duffy had been a FA right now what are you giving him for a contract? MLBTR gives Cobb a clearly better SP a 4-70mil projection. The Cubs offered 3-42mil supposedly.

That is what is wrong with Duffy's contract-it's market value if not over. Santana's is clearly not at market value.

The bolded is outright incorrect by pretty much any measure. It's pretty much impossible to have the argument until Cobb signs, but Duffy would get more than 4/60 on the open market in my opinion. The drunk driving obviously complicated things though. He's hard to peg because of that.

I'd take him over Cobb, but obviously you get to keep Santana with Cobb. You also have to make Cobb want to come here.

I'm a White Sox fan. We don't necessarily need an OF, with Eloy and Robert coming, and Avi Garcia, Engel, Delmonico, and Rutherford all fringe options.

But humor me, the stove is cold right now in Chicago.

I actually was trying to think of other options besides ones mentioned already and thought of the Sox. For an upside cost controlled P it could be Rodon back to MKE. Stuff is great if he could just get his control down a bit and stay healthy. I think Santana should have more value than Rodon though so more would have to come back to MKE so I don't know where you go after that since Sox shouldn't be giving up prospects. Maybe also swap Thames for Abreu and then have us kick in a P prospect? Something of that nature. You could then turn around and flip Thames and Santana for more prospects?

Well, I certainly wouldn't be willing to move Rodon for Santana straight up. I really don't see Rodon getting an extension from the Sox, so I'm not necessarily against moving him at some point, but his value is very low right. The Sox would be selling low on a hurt Rodon and buying high on Santana. I would rather roll the dice on Rodon just being healthy enough to either be useful, or to net more in a trade.

Would be willing to lose a couple of pitching prospects not named Kopech for a move though.

That's logical. Like I said, just spitballing and yea I could see most Sox fans and management thinking the exact same on Rodon. You know the stuff is in there, even in a rebuild right now if he can put together a full year next year then you could trade him a haul next offseason since he's likely not to be there the next time the Sox are trying to win. Something likely doesn't work on these teams as I bet there'd be a disconnect based on your view on Rodon and what MKE thinks Santana is worth.

The bolded is outright incorrect by pretty much any measure. It's pretty much impossible to have the argument until Cobb signs, but Duffy would get more than 4/60 on the open market in my opinion. The drunk driving obviously complicated things though. He's hard to peg because of that.

I'd take him over Cobb, but obviously you get to keep Santana with Cobb. You also have to make Cobb want to come here.

The drunk driving part is an interesting part of this all. Who's to say KC won't kick some money in?

Santana/KJ Harrison for Mejia/Kipnis/Salazar

As noted elsewhere, I'd give it nearly 100% certainty that Cleveland rejects Santana for Mejia straight up.

I know, thats why there's more added to it.

Kipnis has negative value and Salazer is unknown due to the fact that he has never throw more than 140 innings

As noted elsewhere, I'd give it nearly 100% certainty that Cleveland rejects Santana for Mejia straight up.

I don't know that they'd reject that deal. They have 2 catchers with significant team control, both of which are better defenders. Also note that Santana is almost a necessity for that team. There is no other RH power hitting OF as established as Santana that is both expendable and as low cost as he will be. That said, I don't think we trade Santana for anything other than pitching.

I don't know that they'd reject that deal. They have 2 catchers with significant team control, both of which are better defenders. Also note that Santana is almost a necessity for that team. There is no other RH power hitting OF as established as Santana that is both expendable and as low cost as he will be. That said, I don't think we trade Santana for anything other than pitching.

That's like saying the Brewers would accept Salazar for Brinson as a trade because we have Broxton and Phillips (before all of these other moves).

Mejia is a top 20 prospect and probably will keep climbing the rankings. He could flame out like anyone else, but I could see him being top 10/top 5 in 2 years. And that means he's only being used to acquire an elite player, not a good DH (and we're not even factoring in that the Indians are throwing in 2 other pieces of value to that proposed trade).

Again, Cleveland isn't going to send Mejia out for Santana. Zero chance. If we do a deal with Cleveland, it's almost 100% going to revolve around Salazar or Clevinger. Clevinger fits the Stearns bill more than Santana due to the massive team control.

Again, Cleveland isn't going to send Mejia out for Santana. Zero chance. If we do a deal with Cleveland, it's almost 100% going to revolve around Salazar or Clevinger. Clevinger fits the Stearns bill more than Santana due to the massive team control.

Santana for Salazar and Kipnis make any sense?

Then prospects to the Rays for Odorizzi.

I mean, Salazar or Clevinger would be a must in order to take on Kipnis. He's owed $28 Million over the next 2 seasons with a $2.5 Million buyout but his body seems to be failing him now so that deal could be a problem when we have to re-up arb guys. It fits the timeline though, if he works out. He'd be at 2B until Hiura is 100% ready and Dubon would come up in 2019 in the Sogard spot.

Does Santana get us Clevenger from Cleveland? That's the route I would go and keep the high end prospects.

That would seem like a "buy high" move. I am sure our resident Cleveland fan will chime in saying he is untouchable.

Well I won't say he is untouchable but another poster pointed out some relevant points: Clevinger is a multiple WAR pitcher w/ 5 years of control. and he will cost a heck of a lot more than Domingo Santana... Think adding Burnes (and someone else) or Knebel (to not deal the prospects).

Well I won't say he is untouchable but another poster pointed out some relevant points: Clevinger is a multiple WAR pitcher w/ 5 years of control. and he will cost a heck of a lot more than Domingo Santana... Think adding Burnes (and someone else) or Knebel (to not deal the prospects).

That's ludicrous. Both are multiple WAR players under long term team control. Clevinger isn't pulling Santana and Burnes or Knebel. Not a chance.

I mean, Salazar or Clevinger would be a must in order to take on Kipnis. He's owed $28 Million over the next 2 seasons with a $2.5 Million buyout but his body seems to be failing him now so that deal could be a problem when we have to re-up arb guys. It fits the timeline though, if he works out. He'd be at 2B until Hiura is 100% ready and Dubon would come up in 2019 in the Sogard spot.

I should have researched Kipnis' contract before suggesting that trade.

For that cash they may as well sign Walker.

I should have researched Kipnis' contract before suggesting that trade.

For that cash they may as well sign Walker.

I mean, I can see the appeal in Kipnis. If he rebounds, he's worth far more than what he's paid. He made a lot more soft contact last year which lead to a much lower BABIP and line drive rate and, as a result, his production tailed off.

To me I see getting a couple high end bull pen arms shut down the 7th 8 and 9th and with the offense we have your going to win a lot of games .The way teams have to over pay for starters why get under value for Santana?

To me I see getting a couple high end bull pen arms shut down the 7th 8 and 9th and with the offense we have your going to win a lot of games .The way teams have to over pay for starters why get under value for Santana?

Because starting pitching is more valuable? We've got back of the bullpen options. Hader and Knebel are going to be lights out. We need better starting pitching so we don't have to overuse the back of the bullpen like we did last year.

Because starting pitching is more valuable? We've got back of the bullpen options. Hader and Knebel are going to be lights out. We need better starting pitching so we don't have to overuse the back of the bullpen like we did last year.

We can add relief options at the deadline to bolster what we already have. At the moment, starting pitching should be a bigger priority. At the moment, Hader/Suter/Gallardo/Burnes are our 5th starter. With the moves they've made, it doesn't make sense to enter the season without an established 5th guy. Let Woodruff be our question mark, we need someone better to lead the rotation. As of now, it's mostly mid-back end guys to go with a very strong offense.

We can add relief options at the deadline to bolster what we already have. At the moment, starting pitching should be a bigger priority. At the moment, Hader/Suter/Gallardo/Burnes are our 5th starter. With the moves they've made, it doesn't make sense to enter the season without an established 5th guy. Let Woodruff be our question mark, we need someone better to lead the rotation. As of now, it's mostly mid-back end guys to go with a very strong offense.

You add bull pen arms at the deadline you tend to have to over pay big time. I think Hader needs to be in the starting rotation so I do not see him as an option in the pen and frankly I see the staring pitching as a stronger unit then the bull pen (with Hader in the mix)as of right now.The game has changed so much with pitch limits injuries etc that in my view the bull pen needs to be a higher priority the the starting rotation.just my view.

Eh, as Brad Ford pointed out, I just think it's positioning by the Brewers' brass to keep Santana's value up. It's always about leverage and value with these guys IMO.

Hard to keep leverage up when nobody believes it. Wouldn't be buying it for a second if I was another team.

Archived