Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think about it the more I want a santana salazar swap. Archer will probably demand more pitching prospects. I prefer to have an electric injury prone dude and depth over just archer.

Adding salazar while keeping burnes woodruff ortiz would keep our options open.

Way too much money. Can sign a FA for that and keep Santana.

$14 Million for a 3+ win pitcher is not "way too much money." In fact, it's below market value. We're not going to find a better SP for cheaper than Duffy. I'll almost guarantee you that.

What pitcher is going to sign a four year, $60 million dollar contract with us? I feel like the main pitchers left will get more than that.

That's a Lance Lynn contract (except more in the 2/30 range) and he's not better than Duffy.

The more I think about it the more I want a santana salazar swap. Archer will probably demand more pitching prospects. I prefer to have an electric injury prone dude and depth over just archer.

Eh, I'd rather have Archer than Domingo and prospects. You're not going to find near 5 win pitchers for $6 Million a year very often. Same principle in going after Yelich. The contract is the biggest key.

We assume:

Santana gets salazar maybe plus

Santana and what for duffy

Santana and what for archer

That's my deciding factor 100%. If archers going to cost santana burnes ortiz they can keep him. Will duffy cost santana and 1 of them? Salazar is possibly a buy low overstock for overstock fit.

The other question is if santana can fetch mejia... wouldn't we want mejia cobb over santana and ortiz for duffy? About the same cap.

We assume:

That's my deciding factor 100%. If archers going to cost santana burnes ortiz they can keep him. Will duffy cost santana and 1 of them? Salazar is possibly a buy low overstock for overstock fit.

The other question is if santana can fetch mejia... wouldn't we want mejia cobb over santana and ortiz for duffy? About the same cap.

1) We're not getting Mejia for Domingo. That speculation can stop now.

2) A Duffy, Santana swap would be straight up. Royals are going into a rebuild so they'd rather save money and get the cost controlled bat to replace Cain (I know he doesn't play CF but that's not the point).

3) I'm fine with a Salazar for Domingo swap. I really am. I'd just prefer to go after the workhorse who consistently throws 200 IP and provides insane production compared to cost over the volatile arm regardless of what it costs.

$14 Million for a 3+ win pitcher is not "way too much money." In fact, it's below market value. We're not going to find a better SP for cheaper than Duffy. I'll almost guarantee you that.

My point is we trade our asset for a contracted 15 mil per pitcher when we can sign the pitcher for that much or a bit more AND trade Santana (+ maybe) for another pitcher like a Salazar or an Archer type. It's counterproductive in my eyes. Lynn / Cobb / Arrieta aren't enough different than Duffy is to me to warrant the trade.

In a vaccum, no it's not a horrible deal.

My point is we trade our asset for a contracted 15 mil per pitcher when we can sign the pitcher for that much or a bit more AND trade Santana (+ maybe) for another pitcher like a Salazar or an Archer type. It's counterproductive in my eyes. Lynn / Cobb / Arrieta aren't enough different than Duffy is to me to warrant the trade.

No, I get that. There's always ways to go about trying to get surplus value but, in the grand scheme of things, let's say Salazar and Archer AREN'T available. We're not going to sit on Domingo with the opportunity to land Duffy. Not at his cost per production.

Eh, I'd rather have Archer than Domingo and prospects. You're not going to find near 5 win pitchers for $6 Million a year very often. Same principle in going after Yelich. The contract is the biggest key.

Chris Archer is a solid 3 WAR pitcher...the last two YEARS combined according to BR.com. His best year was a 4.3 WAR season and no other season has come anywhere close to 4 WAR let alone 5 WAR.

I would rather go all or nothing on Salazar.

Also, Lance Lynn is cooked. He benefited from a crazy low BABIP (.244) while posting career worsts in FIP and XFIP. He's not worth anything more than a 1 year/$10 Million type offer and, even then, I'd rather take different avenues.

Chris Archer is a solid 3 WAR pitcher...the last two YEARS combined according to BR.com. His best year was a 4.3 WAR season and no other season has come anywhere close to 4 WAR let alone 5 WAR.

I would rather go all or nothing on Salazar.

There's your problem, you're using BR. Archer has posted seasons of 5.2, 3.2 and 4.6 fWAR the last three years. FanGraphs blows BR out of the water.

But, yes, let's go all or nothing on the injury prone dude who's thrown less than 140 innings in every season but one.

Domingo to be traded to an American League Team. Possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Hey weren't you going ice fishin? :laughing

Yes. This will be my last post till Tuesday. 1 more “hot” smaller trade is in the works besides the Domingo trade per my source. I’m out. Go Brewers!!!

I'll guess "hot" as in hot corner... 3B.

How about Jed Lowrie, a switcher at 6 mil a year, FA next season. Had a great season last year, can play 2B or 3B. If he plays 3B, Shaw moves to 1B. How about Thames going to Oakland where he can DH/1B. Makes some sense. Stearns likes flexible position players. He likes switch hitters.

We assume:

1) We're not getting Mejia for Domingo. That speculation can stop now.

2) A Duffy, Santana swap would be straight up. Royals are going into a rebuild so they'd rather save money and get the cost controlled bat to replace Cain (I know he doesn't play CF but that's not the point).

3) I'm fine with a Salazar for Domingo swap. I really am. I'd just prefer to go after the workhorse who consistently throws 200 IP and provides insane production compared to cost over the volatile arm regardless of what it costs.

Well he's controlled 4 years and he looked pretty great at the plate last year. We just gave brinson plus diaz harrison and yamamoto for a 5 year controlled guy who is clealy more of a total package. But is yelich diaz harrison and yamamoto better? Brinson mejia are ranked similarly. Its a pipe dream. But its not as impossible as you make it out to be.

If duffy is a straight swap I'll chose that option as my 1st want. I doubt it would be straight. If it takes ortiz like id expect then I'd prefer salazar straight. Nelson (hope) duffy anderson davies chacin is very good. Burnes woodruff ortiz behind that leaves our window and options wide open.

So lets assume Domingo Santana is indeed traded to an American League team this weekend. With the help of Roster Resource I went through the list of American League teams to see who could use either an outfielder, DH, or right-handed power bat. If you think I missed something, or one of the listings doesn’t make sense to you, by all means please share that along with your reasoning why. My five categories below are: Smoke Signals, Need OF, Need DH, Seem Unlikely, No Way.

Smoke Signals

Indians (lost a Santana, could use a Santana)

Need OF

Tigers

White Sox (have a lot of OF prospects, but hey so did the Brewers)

Rangers (need a CF more than corner OF)

Blue Jays (they did just acquire both Granderson and Grichuk however)

Need DH

Red Sox

Seem Unlikely

A’s

Royals

Mariners

Rays

Astros

No Way

Yankees

Orioles

Angels

Twins

Not just “at Night” anymore.

No, I get that. There's always ways to go about trying to get surplus value but, in the grand scheme of things, let's say Salazar and Archer AREN'T available. We're not going to sit on Domingo with the opportunity to land Duffy. Not at his cost per production.

I could be wrong, but I would guess stearns doesn't execute that Cain deal immediately unless there is a big fish that he already knows he's getting for Santana. Only one way to find out though.....

Stearns has to have something lined up and waiting for the Cain deal to be official before making it.

I'm on this line of thinking too. My gut says this was all done yesterday, but they want the dust to settle on their two huge acquisitions before the corresponding trade of Santana. I'm expecting a deal today.

I like the idea of trading Santana to the Astros to restock the farm.

Astros have a bunch of prospects near MLB ready with no place to put them on the 25 man roster.

I'd be interested in some combination of

RHP JB Bukauskas

3B JD Davis

1B AJ Reed

Maybe some others with awesome two letter first names!!! Lol

I honestly wouldn't put it past the Brewers to be in on Archer or even Fulmer.

They would cost a lot... but think about what just happened. Our OF is now set through 2020 when we will need to replace Braun and possibly reinforce a declining Cain. Barring major injury... guys like Trent Clark and Grisham and possibly even Corey Ray may never play a game for the Brewers. The next OF we need may be Lutz. Therefore, all those other guys are trade chips.

A trade package starting with Santana and Clark is already pretty attractive. Controllable/cheap major league power bat and top 10 prospect. It wouldn't take much more to start talking about Archer and he is on the same controllable timeline as both Cain and Yelich. We would need to add more for Fulmer... but the thought isn't crazy.

Archer makes a lot of sense for the Brewers but I don't see the point of dealing Archer for Santana if your the Rays. Somebody sell me on Salazer cause I'm not seeing it

Salazar you have to dream on a bit. It wasn't that long ago that folks were ready to dump Jimmy Nelson and Salazar is more talented than he is. With Archer it would be more about what else goes along with Santana.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived