Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

The issue with Kipnis is contract and what Kipnis you get. Last year he wasnt good but the two years prior he was very good. If you get the 2015 and 2016 Kipnis with Yelich and Cain this lineup becomes incredibly good. Those three with Shaw, Braun, and the 1B platoon are all the type of hitters Stearns seems to be trying to grab.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess reading the tea leaves, I'm going to guess that Santana goes to the Indians in a deal this week for Salazar and Kipnis. Deal is probably held up on the prospect the Brewers need to include to make the deal fly.

It seems to line up too perfectly to not work. The only hold up I see is the Brewers valuing Archer more than Salazar and exhausting all efforts to acquire Archer in a Santana package before giving up and moving on to a Salazar and Kipnis deal.

I'll be honest...the Kipnis portion of the deal is the most surprising. Depending on the money involved coming back to Milwaukee, I would have to wonder if Walker isn't the better option.

We also don't know what Walker's asking price is. It is certainly higher than Frazier's as he is clearly a superior player and is higher up on the defensive spectrum. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 3 year deal on the table...maybe from us that's on hold until we figure out pitching.

I'm kind of amazed that Yelich got such a huge haul from us, yet Santana is just considered a piece for a deal for Archer or the like. The past two years:

Domingo Santana .271/.363/.486/.849

Christian Yelich .290/.373/.460/.833

Obviously Santana has big defensive shortcomings, but offensively he's at least comparable to Yelich.

If people are going to lowball us for a quality young controllable MLB bat, then get Braun to 1st and keep Santana. Wouldn't bother me one bit.

I am not Shea Vucinich

If the Brewers were to hold onto Santana the best they could do breakdown wise would be:

Braun- 120 games (10 @ DH, 40 @ 1B, 70 @ OF)

Cain- 130 games

Santana- 135 games

Yellich- 150 games

162*3 = 486 total games

Now, does this appease everyone because you are paying good chunks of money for these guys to be in the lineup at all times? Probably not. But one big positive is that you would have guys that are pretty much always fresh throughout the course of the season. Either way, it seems as though a trade is evident.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

HH (who'll be missed) touched on the reluctance to settle when it's apparent there is an overage at a position. They did that with Davis about this time in 2016 and didn't get nearly enough back (chances are no one of any major league impact at all for a guy who's hit 83 HR in 2 seasons) and they seem determined not to make that mistake again. i'm betting they would love to move him for Salazar and they'd take Kipnis too, but they are getting offers of multiple B and C level prospects just as they did with Davis. If that's the case, might as well hold on to him and let Counsel dole out the PT as best he can. Patience is the way to go.

I guess reading the tea leaves, I'm going to guess that Santana goes to the Indians in a deal this week for Salazar and Kipnis. Deal is probably held up on the prospect the Brewers need to include to make the deal fly.

At one point as I recall (and maybe it's accurate) HH saying that a deal with an AL team was being held up over how much salary the Crew would pick up. Makes sense it would be Cleveland, but who knows?

I'll be honest...the Kipnis portion of the deal is the most surprising. Depending on the money involved coming back to Milwaukee, I would have to wonder if Walker isn't the better option.

Yes, they are no doubt very similar in production. Granted Walker is a little older, but it isn't sizable enough to make a huge difference. Hard to see what metric would be used to make Kipnis that much more desirable than Walker. I wonder if the Indians are making taking Kipnis's contract a condition of any deal?

HH (who'll be missed) touched on the reluctance to settle when it's apparent there is an overage at a position. They did that with Davis about this time in 2016 and didn't get nearly enough back (chances are no one of any major league impact at all for a guy who's hit 83 HR in 2 seasons) and they seem determined not to make that mistake again. i'm betting they would love to move him for Salazar and they'd take Kipnis too, but they are getting offers of multiple B and C level prospects just as they did with Davis. If that's the case, might as well hold on to him and let Counsel dole out the PT as best he can. Patience is the way to go.

I'm going to avoid the initial part and focus on the latter. I couldn't agree more on Santana. I think the market is going to fluctuate wildly once the dominoes start to fall(at least 3 of the big 4 SP will be signed by opening day, guaranteed). Going into the season with the options we have is not an enormous issue. Sure it will suck to send Phillips to AAA, but that lineup is that much more stacked with Santana in there. If we bring in Walker or Kipnis, we are going to have a crazy solid 1-6 in the lineup however you set it...with Pina and Arcia 7 and 8. And Arcia again is probably more likely to improve on his 2017 numbers than regress given his age/prospect pedigree...we have the potential to have a stacked lineup 1-8.

OK - let's say that we eat the majority (if not all) of Kipnis's salary and we get Salazar in the deal as well. Does Santana straight up get that deal done? Or, which team would have to throw in another piece in this deal? To me, Santana has more value than Salazar - but I'm not sure how to value Kipnis being added in as a piece to this deal? Would the Indians still want another piece added in on the Brewers side even if we took on the majority of his remaining salary? Or, would DS want something else added in to the deal if we have to eat the salary on our end?

I'm just not sure how to evaluate this deal if Kipnis is added in, so curious for other's input on this.

OK - let's say that we eat the majority (if not all) of Kipnis's salary and we get Salazar in the deal as well. Does Santana straight up get that deal done? Or, which team would have to throw in another piece in this deal? To me, Santana has more value than Salazar - but I'm not sure how to value Kipnis being added in as a piece to this deal? Would the Indians still want another piece added in on the Brewers side even if we took on the majority of his remaining salary? Or, would DS want something else added in to the deal if we have to eat the salary on our end?

I'm just not sure how to evaluate this deal if Kipnis is added in, so curious for other's input on this.

I think if the Brewers are expected to eat all of Kipnis's salary, his deal comes pretty close to negative value. But with the way pitching seems to be valued this year, though, I'd argue that Salazar may have a bit more value than Santana. If that's the case, it might be a straight 2-for-1 deal. I guess it wouldn't surprise me to see low-level minor leaguers changing teams as well. I don't imagine it would be anything of big significance, though.

I think if the Brewers are expected to eat all of Kipnis's salary, his deal comes pretty close to negative value. But with the way pitching seems to be valued this year, though, I'd argue that Salazar may have a bit more value than Santana. If that's the case, it might be a straight 2-for-1 deal. I guess it wouldn't surprise me to see low-level minor leaguers changing teams as well. I don't imagine it would be anything of big significance, though.

OK - I guess that's how I saw this as well, but I just wasn't sure if I was looking at it with my Brewer goggles on? Yes, Kipnis has value, but if we are picking up the majority of that salary - then I think his value goes way, way down in any type of a trade deal. If Cleveland picks up a chunk of the remaining salary, then I guess I wouldn't mind throwing in a lower level minor league guy into the deal, but I would hope that it wouldn't be a guy with too high of an upside (Carmona, Rodriguez, etc.).

I think the deal would end up being Santana + for Kipnis + Salazar...with the indians eating maybe $4-5 million/year. I could see the prospect or 2 the Indians get back being somewhat decent. Maybe Bickford and Grisham or Pennington and Henry...someone with some upside for sure. I get that we are probably giving up a touch more value than we should, that's just how I see the deal playing out.

I'm kind of amazed that Yelich got such a huge haul from us, yet Santana is just considered a piece for a deal for Archer or the like. The past two years:

Domingo Santana .271/.363/.486/.849

Christian Yelich .290/.373/.460/.833

Obviously Santana has big defensive shortcomings, but offensively he's at least comparable to Yelich.

If people are going to lowball us for a quality young controllable MLB bat, then get Braun to 1st and keep Santana. Wouldn't bother me one bit.

Yelich has put up consistent numbers for 5 years now, Santana for 2. Yelich has a 121 wRC+ to Santanas 116 wRC+ for their careers; even looking only at 2016 and 2017 Yelich has been better. They walk at a similar rate, but Yelich strikes out 10% less. Yelich is the better base stealer. Yelich is an average defender in CF and a good one in LF. Santana is a poor corner OF. Yelich is also controllable for 5 years compared to Santanas 4.

Taken together, Yelich is the significantly more valuable player, it's not even close. Which isn't to say Santana has little value, it's simply that Yelich is one of the most valuable players to be traded in recent years. One can argue that Santana has untapped offensive potential, but he's also only 6 months younger than Yelich.

I don’t get why “insiders” get hammered on here all the time?? Tplush saying he literally missed nothing while being true but how is his post contributing to the thread, it doesn’t!! Look at the title of this forum, transaction rumors/ proposals. Good grief, this board is becoming Twitter, and that’s sad.

I for one enjoyed HH’s stuff, take all insider stuff with grains of salt. Alot of stuff can change behind closed doors, that’s for sure.

I don’t get why “insiders” get hammered on here all the time?? Tplush saying he literally missed nothing while being true but how is his post contributing to the thread, it doesn’t!! Look at the title of this forum, transaction rumors/ proposals. Good grief, this board is becoming Twitter, and that’s sad.

I for one enjoyed HH’s stuff, take all insider stuff with grains of salt. Alot of stuff can change behind closed doors, that’s for sure.

That thread is gone why are you posting here to ruin another thread. Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to talk about this topic with you.

That thread is gone why are you posting here to ruin another thread. Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to talk about this topic with you.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vQPa2bHpYLI/TfDHS529U0I/AAAAAAAAB-I/jfpWrFrRMXg/s1600/pot_kettle.jpg

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Because people have fragile egos, so they accuse others of having one so they can be the show. Because trolls are trolls and can't turn it off, they have to destroy good things or at the very least fun things. Because some guys here like to read their own snark. Because some posters are hipsters who want their forum to themselves and don't want it to get popular. Because grown men form catty little cliques just like teenage girls. Because some guys just love to pick holes in everything and can't help themselves. Because if you can cut down someone who gets attention you aren't as far below them as you were. Because they don't have anything better to say.

Plush, YOU, for damn sure, don't have the right to ask someone not to destroy a thread right after YOU destroyed one. I almost did message you but honestly I dont think I could stomach 7 more paragraphs of you trying to justify yourself in the attempt to wash the troll stink off yourself.

Your tone and attitude sucked. You should apologize and stop telling people how to act for a bit. You dont have a foot to stand on.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vQPa2bHpYLI/TfDHS529U0I/AAAAAAAAB-I/jfpWrFrRMXg/s1600/pot_kettle.jpg

WINNER!!!!!!!!

Archived