Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

I would trade Domingo for Salazar straight up if the alternative move is Santana, Burnes + for Archer.

Yep, wouldn't even have to think twice about that if those are the only two options. Fortunately, "neither" is also an option.

Santana for Salazar would be like trading Corey Hart before his prime for an injury-prone Gallardo in the middle of his prime. It makes sense if you need a starter that badly, but I would argue that it's a bit of a desperation move.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know he isn't necessarily a game changer, but do you think Santana for Manaea and Luzardo might would work? Manaea would give us a young controllable arm (left) with some upside and Luzardo would be a nice arm to add to the farm.

Santana could probably left, but they Davis as DH so I'm not sure if the two are redundant.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

This late in the off-season I'm kind of losing hope in trading Santana for pitching. At this point we should just trade him for prospects and try and trade for an arm at the trade deadline if we are still in it.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

This late in the off-season I'm kind of losing hope in trading Santana for pitching. At this point we should just trade him for prospects and try and trade for an arm at the trade deadline if we are still in it.

I don't think I would lose hope in anything. We aren't going to go into 2018 with Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn, Hosmer, Moustakas, etc all unemployed. Martinez is a whiner so he might be unemployed, but the rest will all get signed at some point soon. Tons of activity left to happen, and i think it happens relatively quickly once the first domino falls(Darvish).

I think if Stearns made this Yelich/Cain acquisition with the idea that he could sell off Santana at the price of a 2.7+ WAR player, then he made a mistake. Looking at the projections on Fangraphs and Cain is projected at 1.8, 1.5, 2.1 WAR in 2018 by various models. If that's how the majority of the league sees him, he might only have about 60-70% of the value that Stearns anticipated.

And despite Braun still being a quality bat, Santana's .278/.371/.505/.875 clearly outperformed Braun's .268/.336/.487/.823, and even with his questionable defense, it still makes sense that Santana is the everyday player in right field. And if one looks at Braun potentially getting at-bats at first base, against righty pitchers Braun slashed .270/.330/.478/.808 and Thames slashed .265/.382/.551/.933. I don't see anyway that I could sell off Santana at a price that values him as a <2 WAR value, and if Stearns is thinking the same thing then Braun appears to be the odd man out.

I think if Stearns made this Yelich/Cain acquisition with the idea that he could sell off Santana at the price of a 2.7+ WAR player, then he made a mistake. Looking at the projections on Fangraphs and Cain is projected at 1.8, 1.5, 2.1 WAR in 2018 by various models. If that's how the majority of the league sees him, he might only have about 60-70% of the value that Stearns anticipated.

And despite Braun still being a quality bat, Santana's .278/.371/.505/.875 clearly outperformed Braun's .268/.336/.487/.823, and even with his questionable defense, it still makes sense that Santana is the everyday player in right field. And if one looks at Braun potentially getting at-bats at first base, against righty pitchers Braun slashed .270/.330/.478/.808 and Thames slashed .265/.382/.551/.933. I don't see anyway that I could sell off Santana at a price that values him as a <2 WAR value, and if Stearns is thinking the same thing then Braun appears to be the odd man out.

Stearn's isn't a slash line type of a guy. He looks at other data that suggests that they got Cain and Yelich on a bargain. And Braun was extremely unlucky last season at the plate. Exit velocity and BABIP tell a completely different story than Braun's slash line. No way will he be the odd man out. Pencil him in the 3-hole and hope he can play 130-140 games and enjoy the ride.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I brainstormed a list of teams that would make sense for Santana and it was longer than I thought. This should especially help get a good return if he is traded. The fits to me:

-rangers

-Red Sox

-Rockies

-TB

-Indians

-Braves

-Arizona

-twins

-a’s

-Padres

I don't see anyway that I could sell off Santana at a price that values him as a <2 WAR value, and if Stearns is thinking the same thing then Braun appears to be the odd man out.

Odd man out of what? Playing time? The team isn't going to cut him, and he has full no-trade protection. The only team Braun says he'd approve a trade to is the Dodgers, and to make that work, the Brewers would likely have to take Kemp's albatross of a contract back, which makes no sense. Santana is infinitely more movable, which is why he's the one on the block.

Honestly, I don't get the need to move Santana. If you can move Broxton for some low level minor leaguers you like, and do the same with Aguilar. You help replenish your farm system and I think there are plenty of at bats to go around for Yelich, Cain, Santana, Braun, & Thames. Sure one will have to be on the bench each day but Braun & Cain get plenty of days off, you can sit Thames vs lefties.

I don't see anyway that I could sell off Santana at a price that values him as a <2 WAR value, and if Stearns is thinking the same thing then Braun appears to be the odd man out.

Odd man out of what? Playing time?

Yes, playing time.

Honestly, I don't get the need to move Santana. If you can move Broxton for some low level minor leaguers you like, and do the same with Aguilar. You help replenish your farm system and I think there are plenty of at bats to go around for Yelich, Cain, Santana, Braun, & Thames. Sure one will have to be on the bench each day but Braun & Cain get plenty of days off, you can sit Thames vs lefties.

There's a need (Or not a need, but it would be good to) to move someone. Santana is the one OF who we could get the most in return for. And there's a big difference in what Santana gets us compared to Aguilar/Broxton. If the team is looking to strengthen SP/2B through trade, then it pretty much has to be Santana.

Odd man out of what? Playing time?

Yes, playing time.

I can't see that. If Braun is healthy, he's still probably the best hitter in the lineup. It's just nice to see that fact up for debate now, when in the past there was no debate.

I would imagine that a healthy Braun is going to see 3-4 starts per week at 1B, with another 1-2 per week in LF. I wouldn't play him in RF unless we absolutely had to, though. Cain, Yelich and Phillips will need days off, but all three of those guys have positional versatility to make that happen. On the days Braun plays LF, Yelich could shift to CF and Cain to RF. Phillips is going to be above average in any of those positions, but his arm and athleticism could be truly special in RF. I still say Santana is dealt.

I don't think Yelich is getting any days off barring injury. He really shouldn't either. Same with Cain, although He likely will be dinged up some, he usually is.

I agree, which is why I think Santana is the man without a home. While he would be a nice bench bat, that would be a waste of value. He's another guy that should be playing nearly every day, and that just isn't going to happen the way the team's outfield is currently constructed.

From what others have said on here and just watching games. In my eyes Phillips has a lot more potential value than Santana. 100% effort in all phases of the game. I’d try my hardest to get him as many at bats and innings as possible. We all saw his raw power and cannon for an arm. I think hed be a solid RF for us. Starting Braun at 1st has grown on me to allow this move.

I don't think Yelich is getting any days off barring injury. He really shouldn't either. Same with Cain, although He likely will be dinged up some, he usually is.

I agree, which is why I think Santana is the man without a home. While he would be a nice bench bat, that would be a waste of value. He's another guy that should be playing nearly every day, and that just isn't going to happen the way the team's outfield is currently constructed.

Agree. As currently constructed, those 3 need to play every day, or nearly every day. Say 150+ each. And Thames is a plus plus bat vs RHP. Which leaves Braun with like 80 starts and Phillips with zero.

Seems something really does have to give.

Agree. As currently constructed, those 3 need to play every day, or nearly every day. Say 150+ each. And Thames is a plus plus bat vs RHP. Which leaves Braun with like 80 starts and Phillips with zero.

Seems something really does have to give.

I think it will give...just need patience. The market will adjust in our favor as the FA pitchers start falling off the board. Whether we get prospects or a SP for Santana, we'll get good value. Especially considering the wild demands of JD Martinez...whereas Santana is basically a poor man's JD Martinez, except that he's 25 and has upside.

Yeah, that seems like too good of a fit to not happen. Maybe not that deal specifically, but Santana to Cleveland makes a ton of sense.

I'd keep him, personally. I don't really care how Braun feels about it. Maybe he'll OK a trade elsewhere then, which would be great with me.

I guess reading the tea leaves, I'm going to guess that Santana goes to the Indians in a deal this week for Salazar and Kipnis. Deal is probably held up on the prospect the Brewers need to include to make the deal fly.

I could buy that...that and/or how much money the Indians need to eat of Kipnis salary.

I guess reading the tea leaves, I'm going to guess that Santana goes to the Indians in a deal this week for Salazar and Kipnis. Deal is probably held up on the prospect the Brewers need to include to make the deal fly.

It seems to line up too perfectly to not work. The only hold up I see is the Brewers valuing Archer more than Salazar and exhausting all efforts to acquire Archer in a Santana package before giving up and moving on to a Salazar and Kipnis deal.

I'll be honest...the Kipnis portion of the deal is the most surprising. Depending on the money involved coming back to Milwaukee, I would have to wonder if Walker isn't the better option.

Archived