Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

All things being equal Braun is still one of the best two or three hitters on this teams. Down one in the bottom of the ninth with two outs and a guy on second who would you rather have up? Yelich. Maybe Cain. MAYBE Shaw? That’s about it. You don’t just bury Braun because he’s old. This guy is a future Hall of Famer.

In that situation, if Braun is healthy, it's a tossup between Yelich and Braun. Cain is a somewhat close 3rd and I guess maybe shaw would be an extremely distant 4th. Not that the rest of our team are bad hitters, those guys are just premium hitters while the rest of our guys are very good at best.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree. The injuries have killed his counting stats, and missing a half season for suspension. Suspension took away a prime year for him and the nagging injuries after did more damage. If he was at like 350 HRs now instead of 300 he'd have a shot with a couple more good years. No way as it is now, even if no PED.

If Jim Thome is a hall of Famer then I think Braun is. The only thing that would keep him out is the PED issue. At the very least it’s close, much closer then you seem to be making it out to be. A six time all star former MVP who will finish with over 2000 hits 300 home runs 1000 RBI and 200 stolen bases.

Either way, he’s still one of our best hitters and you don’t platoon him.

Thames, Aguillar, and Broxton are nothing special. Keeping Santana and having better depth off the bench is a good thing.

Phillips as a 4th Outfielder is a good thing, too. Would Phillips start for the Astros, Yankees or Red Sox? If we are making a serious playoff run then we need to change the perspective here a little. Let Phillips force his way into more playing time with sensational play. These are good problems to have....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

He supposed. Vaguely supposed. He didn't exactly say it, he speculated. All we know is that TB upped their offer and wanted Burnes. Tens of reasons that could be true and the most far fetched by far is illusion of lost leverage

So serious question here. You keep mentioning stuff like this. “He supposed”. “You’re speculating”. What is it that you think you’re doing? You’re stating this stuff as fact yet there isn’t one supporting piece of evidence that you’ve provided to back up one single claim you’ve made. I fully admit that I’m speculating but at least what HH said provides SOME support to my claim. You haven’t provided one iota of support to your claims, either that leverage isn’t the reason for the upper demands or that all these other reasons are why the demand was upped. That’s what is so frustrating about debating with you. As I said earlier you don’t know anything here more than I do. So why do you insist on absolutely positively claiming that this other theory is 100% wrong?

Both of you keep saying that you want to go back on topic, but that keeps not happening. Please stop.

If Santana is going to an NL team the Braves and Mets make the most sense. I don't think the Braves are going to let go of Teheran but maybe they do. Degrom from the Mets makes some sense. I don't think the Mets would move Cespedes back to CF that is just not a good idea. With Conforto and Bruce also in the running for corner OF spots that doesn't leave much room for Santana unless the Mets see Santana as a 1B then that makes sense. Maybe the Padres make sense here but I doubt they would have interest.

The only other team I can think of would be the Dodgers but you would have to do a 3-team deal for that to work and apparently no one wants Puig or Kemp. Maybe do a 3-team trade with the A's and the Dodgers. The A's get Puig and Edwin Rios, Dodgers get Santana, and the Brewers get Mitchell White and Ryu. I doubt that works but it was the only thing I could think of. The Dodgers would then clear enough payroll to sign Darvish I think with these two moves.

If Santana is going to an NL team the Braves and Mets make the most sense. I don't think the Braves are going to let go of Teheran but maybe they do. Degrom from the Mets makes some sense. I don't think the Mets would move Cespedes back to CF that is just not a good idea. With Conforto and Bruce also in the running for corner OF spots that doesn't leave much room for Santana unless the Mets see Santana as a 1B then that makes sense. Maybe the Padres make sense here but I doubt they would have interest.

The only other team I can think of would be the Dodgers but you would have to do a 3-team deal for that to work and apparently no one wants Puig or Kemp. Maybe do a 3-team trade with the A's and the Dodgers. The A's get Puig and Edwin Rios, Dodgers get Santana, and the Brewers get Mitchell White and Ryu. I doubt that works but it was the only thing I could think of. The Dodgers would then clear enough payroll to sign Darvish I think with these two moves.

Teheran is pretty mediocre now. I think people keep bringing up his name because they remember him as top prospect from 4+ years ago.

Teheran is pretty mediocre now. I think people keep bringing up his name because they remember him as top prospect from 4+ years ago.

Don't the Braves have a few ready or near ready young pitchers? Is it possible a Braves deal would center around one of them?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Don't the Braves have a few ready or near ready young pitchers? Is it possible a Braves deal would center around one of them?

They have an embarrassment of riches. Multiple top pitching prospects that are at the MLB level or MLB-ready. LHP Luiz Gohara would be my dream addition.

They have an embarrassment of riches. Multiple top pitching prospects that are at the MLB level or MLB-ready. LHP Luiz Gohara would be my dream addition.

Would a Santana and something like Pennington get that done?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Would a Santana and something like Pennington get that done?

NO! Not even close to getting it done.

Newcomb is probably someone you could get with that package maybe.

Assuming that any team trading for Santana thinks he will continue being a .370+ wOBA outfielder like he was last season, if not better, I don't think Santana for Gohara straight up is crazy.

.278/.371/.505 with 30 HR and 15 SB in your age 24/25 season is nothing to sneeze at.

Even though I don't want the DH in the NL, boy do I wish we had a DH spot... :(

From the MLBTR live chat today

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-with-jason-martinez-january-31-2018-2968.html

Steve

5:19 Brewers trade Domingo Santana and a prospect to Indians for Danny Salazar..fair trade?

Jason Martinez

5:22 Depends on the prospect, I guess. I've been curious about corner OFs being connected to the Indians. Brantley is back. He'll be in LF. Chisenhall missed half the season, but had an .881 OPS and 12 HR. He's the RF. Santana might be an upgrade, but he also might not be. So why trade Salazar for him?

From the MLBTR live chat today

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-with-jason-martinez-january-31-2018-2968.html

Steve

5:19 Brewers trade Domingo Santana and a prospect to Indians for Danny Salazar..fair trade?

Jason Martinez

5:22 Depends on the prospect, I guess. I've been curious about corner OFs being connected to the Indians. Brantley is back. He'll be in LF. Chisenhall missed half the season, but had an .881 OPS and 12 HR. He's the RF. Santana might be an upgrade, but he also might not be. So why trade Salazar for him?

The unnamed prospect is on the wrong side of that trade, in my opinion, even as someone much higher on Salazar than most around here.

"I fully admit that I’m speculating but at least what HH said provides SOME support to my claim."

There's the problem.

I'm speculating it could be many different things and trying to prove none. My stance in regards to whats going on in those deals is... I dont know. I don't need to prove anything to speculate. Just prove they are valid speculations.

You are trying to prove your speculation true and pretending speculation gives your speculation more weight. It doesn't. Im also saying your speculation isn't valid and if you looked around you'd see that. It doesn't operate that way and I can drown you in "actually possible" speculations but you refuse to leave your stump. I can give you tons of examples in multiple fields, multiple sports and you remain entrenched.

I get it. You are convinced something illogical is true. Moving on.

Braun is our best hitter... sure. Healthy Braun playing at 2015 levels is our best bat. The 3 other results since the suspension, I'd argue he's not. If you get Braun yes hes the best. If you get this nicked up declining dude...

Anyway... hypothetical game.

Lets say of highheats last talk, 2 parts are true. Mke wants 2 top arms. Mke is high on phillips.

Mke goes in deep. Santana woodruff ortiz ray dubon for archer. Signs arrieta. Chips in lets roll.

What's best then? Do you play cain in rf taking him out of his near gold glove level cf position, to play yelich in a negative dwar position instead of his gold glove lf home so you can play braun who is also a begative dwar player in LF? Or do you leave them be in gold glove positions play phillips who could be a gold glove rf candidate and STILL move braun to 1b. Do you value the dwar across the whole OF and good bat of phillips over Thames.

If we go in that deep... go get walker and go: Cain yelich braun/thames shaw walker phillips pina arcia.

See unless you want to waste a gold glove lf in cf or a near gold glove cf in rf... braun. STILL is the non fit.

Before you say RF, looked into it an most feel his arm can not play there. It's likely hed be even worse in rf than santana. Realky wish we had a DH, Santana would plug in there immediately and thames would get appropriate work.

How are Mike Clevingers and Santana’s value in relation to each other. I like his 2017 season and durability more than Salazar’s productive, but injury-prone career

It would cost significantly more to get Clevinger than Salazar from Cleveland.

Here is why.

1) If Cleveland does not move 1 of its 6 main starting pitchers (Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Salazar, Clevinger, Tomlin) & all are healthy, Clevinger has options remaining & can be stashed in Columbus for depth. Not possible for the others to get moved to the minors. As for stashing 1 in the bullpen, #7 starter Ryan Merritt (depth guy last 2 years) is out of options & already penciled for going there.

2) Cleveland & Milwaukee are similar market sizes. That said, Cleveland is already projected with a payroll near $135M for this 2018 season. Salazar is making a modest $5M in salary (& has 3 more yrs of control after 2018). Clevinger is still pre-arb (hence much cheaper) & has 4 years of control after 2018. That lesser pay & extra control is significant not only in 2018 but also beyond as other signed contracts increase in cost.

Phillips is an unproven hitter with some K issues so we're not sure how he'll do. Perfect 4th for this season and will get plenty of ABs due to Braun's days off and likely DL stint. Still, it can only help the team to have Braun work at 1B and see how it looks. If he's passable it provides much more options for certain matchups and options in case of injuries to the 1B. And of course gives options down the line if Phillips proves legit in his good amount of ABs this year. Of course, this is assuming Santana is traded.

Archived