Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HH... The trade with Cleveland, would Salazar be involved?

Any talk about bringing back Walker?

And any talk regarding Arrieta, Lynn or Cobb?

Didn't say. Just said Archer was involved with T.B.

Got it, thanks!

Any talk about bringing back Walker?

And any talk regarding Arrieta, Lynn or Cobb?

It would take more than Domingo and Burnes!

True. That was really well thought out.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

The Brewer's did not want to lose out on Yelich. Also, the Brewer's were not as high on Brinson as some would think.

This is about what I expected to hear. You don't pass up a chance to add a talent like Yelich even if it does create a surplus. And it doesn't shock me to hear they are not high on Brinson. Not a shock at all.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’d hate to see Shomingo and Phillips getting such little playing time, but we’d have a monster bench.

I’d also be good with a Burnes / Shomingo for Archer deal. Just like the Yelich deal, let’s deal for really good now instead of hoping what we have ends up being that good.

I might be crazy for saying this, but I'm just not thrilled with the idea of dealing away another huge prospect haul for a guy like Archer. I know he's controllable and cheap, and thus seemingly fits well into our now 4-5 window here where we are trying to go for it. But, I'm just not impressed enough with his numbers for TB to give up a package that would start with Domingo and Burnes (and then 1-2 other good prospects).

I’d hate to see Shomingo and Phillips getting such little playing time, but we’d have a monster bench.

I’d also be good with a Burnes / Shomingo for Archer deal. Just like the Yelich deal, let’s deal for really good now instead of hoping what we have ends up being that good.

I might be crazy for saying this, but I'm just not thrilled with the idea of dealing away another huge prospect haul for a guy like Archer. I know he's controllable and cheap, and thus seemingly fits well into our now 4-5 window here where we are trying to go for it. But, I'm just not impressed enough with his numbers for TB to give up a package that would start with Domingo and Burnes (and then 1-2 other good prospects).

I'm sure Stearns probably feels the same way, and has a price in his head of where the end would justify the means.

I still think if Santana is dealt, it's to Cleveland. He's a perfect fit in that lineup, and they have depth in the rotation. If we have to give up Burnes and Santana for Archer, I'm on the fence. If we have to give up more, I'm leaning toward a hard no.

If the Brewer's stay where their at position player wise, here is my lineup guess for OF and First.

Vs Righties

First-Thames

Rf-Phillips

Cf-Cain

LF-Yelich

Braun will fill in quite a bit here at least mid game when a lefty is brought in.

Vs Lefties

First- Aguilar

Rf-Santana

Cf-Cain

Lf-Braun

I don't see Keon being here opening day.

I agree. I like Archer more than most and would do Domingo and Burnes. Phillips is my ideal #4 OF anyway and Burnes ceiling is likely Archer so I would gladly do this. Anything more of a substantial prospect and I am out.

Flip side is Domingo being an ideal #5 hitter for the next 5 years, especially if anything happens to Braun. Additionally, Burnes could be an ascending #2-#3 in 2020 or 2021.

Focus on signing a FA SP and come back to this deal if absolutely need be.

Ok, let's get back on track here. Talked to my source this morning.

Yu Darvish: The last time I was on here the Brewer's made Darvish an offer. The Cubs then came in and beat their offer substantially. So, I put Darvish to Cubs. And as of today, the Cubs offer is still the highest on the table. But........Darvish wants to see what the Dodger's can afford. Apparently L.A. offers a larger Asian population with shorter flights for family from Japan. Darvish also prefers warmer weather.

Domingo Santana: The Brewer's came close to trading Domingo over the weekend. However, their pickups of Yelich and Cain may have impeded that. Apparently, the Brewers had offers for Cleveland, Tampa and one more team on the table. After the Brewer's acquisition of the OF's, it is known that Tampa upped what they wanted in return (Corbin Burnes) in a package for Archer. Stearns said no. Trade with T.B. has been put in limbo for now. My source gave the odds of Santana now be traded are at 75%. Brewers may also hold Domingo for the trade deadline. The Brewer's have a plan to get everybody in. Braun playing 2nd will not happen. Braun playing first could happen.

Let it be known that Brewer's presumably top 30 is not most major league's FO's top 30. Across MLB, Corbin Burnes is #1, Keston Hiura #2 and Lutz and Ray jocking for #3 and Freddy Peralta #4. (May differ from team to team but consensus) Phillips is now considered MLB talent.

Keon Broxton is being shopped for a Rookie league or A ball "home run". Similar to trading for Freddy Peralta at the stage the Brewers did.

As I said earlier, Hader is next to impossible of being traded.

Brewer's are high on Brett Phillips.

My personal opinion is the influx of OF's are holding things up now. Dodger's would like to send Kemp and even Puig somewhere, but have little to no takers. Pirates and Marlins plan on pulling guys from AAA including Brinson to be part of their everyday lineup. This leaves a surplus of vets looking for work (See Cargo, Keon Broxton, etc) This decreases value of OF obviously. And decreases supply and demand. Once Darvish signs, the dominoes could fall very fast. - this last paragraph is my opinion.

So ultimately, where do you see Darvish going and when do you think he decides? Really seems like he's holding up almost everything.

Ok, let's get back on track here. Talked to my source this morning.

Yu Darvish: The last time I was on here the Brewer's made Darvish an offer. The Cubs then came in and beat their offer substantially. So, I put Darvish to Cubs. And as of today, the Cubs offer is still the highest on the table. But........Darvish wants to see what the Dodger's can afford. Apparently L.A. offers a larger Asian population with shorter flights for family from Japan. Darvish also prefers warmer weather.

Domingo Santana: The Brewer's came close to trading Domingo over the weekend. However, their pickups of Yelich and Cain may have impeded that. Apparently, the Brewers had offers for Cleveland, Tampa and one more team on the table. After the Brewer's acquisition of the OF's, it is known that Tampa upped what they wanted in return (Corbin Burnes) in a package for Archer. Stearns said no. Trade with T.B. has been put in limbo for now. My source gave the odds of Santana now be traded are at 75%. Brewers may also hold Domingo for the trade deadline. The Brewer's have a plan to get everybody in. Braun playing 2nd will not happen. Braun playing first could happen.

Let it be known that Brewer's presumably top 30 is not most major league's FO's top 30. Across MLB, Corbin Burnes is #1, Keston Hiura #2 and Lutz and Ray jocking for #3 and Freddy Peralta #4. (May differ from team to team but consensus) Phillips is now considered MLB talent.

Keon Broxton is being shopped for a Rookie league or A ball "home run". Similar to trading for Freddy Peralta at the stage the Brewers did.

Brewer's are high on Brett Phillips.

My personal opinion is the influx of OF's are holding things up now. Dodger's would like to send Kemp and even Puig somewhere, but have little to no takers. Pirates and Marlins plan on pulling guys from AAA including Brinson to be part of their everyday lineup. This leaves a surplus of vets looking for work (See Cargo, Keon Broxton, etc) This decreases value of OF obviously. And decreases supply and demand. Once Darvish signs, the dominoes could fall very fast. - this last paragraph is my opinion.

So ultimately, where do you see Darvish going and when do you think he decides? Really seems like he's holding

up almost everything.

It seems like when you want to date a girl but you both live on different sides of the tracks......

HH19 - honest question for you:

Clearly, your source with the Brewers must know that you are posting this information on this Brewers fan forum (maybe he/she is even requesting that you share this information). I'm curious though what the motivation is on the team's part? Do they just want to keep the fans informed (in a less formal way than announcing this stuff themselves), or is this all a part of the posturing game - knowing that some of this information will eventually get leaked to the other teams, and they feel that this might help them in negotiations?

Again - I'm just curious as to know why this source on the team is so willing to share all of these details.

I certainly am glad that they are though, and I appreciate the nuggets that you provide us.

If the Brewer's stay where their at position player wise, here is my lineup guess for OF and First.

Vs Righties

First-Thames

Rf-Phillips

Cf-Cain

LF-Yelich

Braun will fill in quite a bit here at least mid game when a lefty is brought in.

Vs Lefties

First- Aguilar

Rf-Santana

Cf-Cain

Lf-Braun

Thanks for all the info.

For this, I can't really see Phillips playing over Santana and Braun on a daily basis since most Ps are righties. That's just going to kill Santana's value even more.. And if Braun is healthy he's going to play since he's still the best hitter when healthy. Hopefully he can be adequate at 1B to create some flex all over the lineup.

For giving up all this for Yelich and then platooning him, I checked is splits and 266/329 isn't great vs lefties so in the current scenario yes you might as well get the righties out there since they're so good.

Hopefully there's a trade out there for Santana that resolves all this more easily.

Couldn't they have done the Cain signing and just kept it quiet for another couple days until the Santana trade goes down?

HH19 - honest question for you:

Clearly, your source with the Brewers must know that you are posting this information on this Brewers fan forum (maybe he/she is even requesting that you share this information). I'm curious though what the motivation is on the team's part? Do they just want to keep the fans informed (in a less formal way than announcing this stuff themselves), or is this all a part of the posturing game - knowing that some of this information will eventually get leaked to the other teams, and they feel that this might help them in negotiations?

Again - I'm just curious as to know why this source on the team is so willing to share all of these details.

I certainly am glad that they are though, and I appreciate the nuggets that you provide us.

No, the Brewer's don't know. Also, I can't leave absolute's. If I mentioned that player A, G, R, and W are being sent than the Brewer's will know that I know. Some stuff I know for sure, some I don't. Hence "American League Team". Let's just leave it at that.

BTW, Stearn's does alot of his business behind closed doors. Meetings called when stuff get's serious.

No matter what the Brewers are saying about their OF situation and Braun potentially playing 1B, there really is a roster crunch now in the OF. They have 4 guys that should be playing every day if healthy. Santana could just as easily improve as regress. Also, if we are super concerned about Santana's OF defense then Braun at 1B should be equally concerning.

Santana to Cleveland makes soo much sense. It's not necessarily a trade I'd be looking to "win". Obviously you want to get fair value but they also need to use their roster spots as resources to improve. I like position/roster flexibility as much as the next person but it's a waste of resource to have 4 starting outfielders if one of them could get an upgrade somewhere else. I'm not saying that's what's available or offered but I'd be willing to take the slightly shorter end of the deal at this point to improve the team.

Vs Righties

First-Thames

Rf-Phillips

Cf-Cain

LF-Yelich

Vs Lefties

First- Aguilar

Rf-Santana

Cf-Cain

Lf-Braun

Thanks for all the info.

For this, I can't really see Phillips playing over Santana and Braun on a daily basis since most Ps are righties. That's just going to kill Santana's value even more.. And if Braun is healthy he's going to play since he's still the best hitter when healthy. Hopefully he can be adequate at 1B to create some flex all over the lineup.

For giving up all this for Yelich and then platooning him, I checked is splits and 266/329 isn't great vs lefties so in the current scenario yes you might as well get the righties out there since they're so good.

Hopefully there's a trade out there for Santana that resolves all this more easily.

Couldn't they have done the Cain signing and just kept it quiet for another couple days until the Santana trade goes down?

No, because Cain was being sought after hard by another team as well.

Understand, Cain and Yelich are the Brewer's Protypical player's. I said last week the Brewer's ideal positional player is McCutcheon in his prime. .300 20 Hr's, 20 SB's and is superior on defense is what the Brewer's are looking for. The Brewer's are trying to stay away from the K kings and poor defense. Hence Domingo, Brinson and Isan Diaz not high on the Brewer's list. Also the trading of Khris Davis.

On a side note. I could see the Brewer's trade Shaw if desperation kicks in for a SP and then sign Moustakas. Moustakas fits that Brewer's new mold just minus the wheels. My speculation here.

On a side note. I could see the Brewer's trade Shaw if desperation kicks in for a SP and then sign Moustakas. Moustakas fits that Brewer's new mold just minus the wheels. My speculation here.

Thanks for all the insider info HH19!

As for your speculation on Moustakas, here I hope you're wrong. While he doesn't strikeout a ton, he doesn't walk a bunch either. Furthermore, I hope we don't get too crazy about overturning an 86 win team and lose the camaraderie developed in 2017 ala the Padres of a few years back with Kemp, Upton and Kimbrel.

Thanks for all the insider info HH19!

As for your speculation on Moustakas, here I hope you're wrong. While he doesn't strikeout a ton, he doesn't walk a bunch either. Furthermore, I hope we don't get too crazy about overturning an 86 win team and lose the camaraderie developed in 2017 ala the Padres of a few years back with Kemp, Upton and Kimbrel.

That Kemp/Upton/Kimbrel (and Norris) offseason was silly from the Padres. I'm a pessimist of sorts on the current Brewers flipping, but the Padres went into the season with Middlebrooks, Norris, and Upton as everyday players - none of which could cross the .700 OPS mark hitting right-handed pitching.

That was a horribly planned transformation. No platoon mates and a bunch of guys that could only hit lefties. That team was doomed from day 1.

I like Cain and Yelich as players and potentially other moves - as long as they don't empty out more of their farm for it.

Vs Righties

First-Thames

Rf-Phillips

Cf-Cain

LF-Yelich

Vs Lefties

First- Aguilar

Rf-Santana

Cf-Cain

Lf-Braun

There's no way Yelich isn't in the everyday lineup. He isn't going to split time with anyone.

The Brewer's are trying to stay away from the K kings and poor defense. Hence Domingo, Brinson and Isan Diaz not high on the Brewer's list. Also the trading of Khris Davis.

But Stearns acquired Brinson and Diaz and we don't know that Brinson is a high strikeout player.

Gotcha, I meant that it's done deal with Cain with a signed contract, just don't tell anyone. But yes you can only keep a lid on that for so long before someone leaks or another team figures it out and leaks. But in that scenario Cain wouldn't have to worry about MKE going back on their word like if it was just a verbal agreement. Maybe they only needed a bit more time but yes overall I know how difficult this type of thing is to pull off.

Personally I'm pretty low on Moustakas and his poor obp skills and general inconsistency over the years. But I do notice his K % is ok which fits their goals. Personally I'd stay away from Moustakas though. I hope it doesn't come to that and would rather just pay money to a FA P than him.

"Let it be known that Brewer's presumably top 30 is not most major league's FO's top 30. Across MLB, Corbin Burnes is #1, Keston Hiura #2 and Lutz and Ray jocking for #3 and Freddy Peralta #4. (May differ from team to team but consensus) Phillips is now considered MLB talent.

Brewer's are high on Brett Phillips."

1. Glad Ray's value is holding, cuz I dont see it.

2. Would love a ticket or 2 for Broxton. Keep cycling. Supak 2 tickets for Rogers is a continued big win.

3. Phillips... that just makes me happy. 2b SS C are less than what I want offensively to go from Santana to Phillips but I want that day to come eventually.

4. Wasn't there a guy on here who pointed out a but of a huff puff about Melvin sticking his nose in the Cordell Ortiz Brinson deal when scouts wanted a lower ranked bigger quantity offer. I see the Burnes comment and just assume that TB made a Burnes instead of Ortiz play. Find it telling that cordell brinson are gone and the cheese (ortiz) stands alone. They could be 3 pieces our current FO never really wanted.

The Brewer's are trying to stay away from the K kings and poor defense. Hence Domingo, Brinson and Isan Diaz not high on the Brewer's list. Also the trading of Khris Davis.

But Stearns acquired Brinson and Diaz and we don't know that Brinson is a high strikeout player.

Brinson had a horrible K rate in the minors didn't he? If it's been a problem there it's very unlikely to just go away vs MLB pitching.

It's not that he'd be completely against acquiring/using them. If the Brinson package was the best he could get for Lucroy a while back, he took it hoping that A. Brinson could shake the Ks in the minors or B. he could deal him later, I'd imagine.

Or if you have a really good player like Santana it's not like he'd be completely against keeping him. Just prefers to get other types if at all possible.

Archived