Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

Brewers Get: Eduardo Rodriguez, Tanner Houck, & Blake Swihart

Red Sox Get: Domingo Santana

I think I'd just rather hang on to Santana. Rodriguez is young and cheap, but he just had knee surgery and is out till at least May. Houck is a nice prospect, and you can't have too many pitching prospects. Swihart is pretty much waiver wire fodder at this point, although he does have multi-positional versatility that Stearns would probably like.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about a deal that is with the Texas Rangers for Wilie Calhoun. They are slating him to start in LF for them (if he hits) but it is well known he is a better second baseman. The Brewers adding him at two-bagger would be a heck of a hitting IF.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What about a deal that is with the Texas Rangers for Wilie Calhoun. They are slating him to start in LF for them (if he hits) but it is well known he is a better second baseman. The Brewers adding him at two-bagger would be a heck of a hitting IF.

He's apparently a very bad defensive 2B, but it's a reasonable idea still.

Calhoun’s supposedly bad enough defensively that he belongs at DH. Of course if the Brewers think he’d be passable there, it makes a lot of sense. He crushed AAA

Shoot. I did not read that about him. Thought it was more so because they had Odor there already. Well, I was more so bored today and trying to find landing spots that made sense.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sorry but I'm kind of shocked that it wouldn't even be a difficult decision for some people. With all due respect, you're being a homer if you can't see the value you'd be getting in a Shaw/Santana for Mejia/Salazar deal. Shaw is far from a lock to be our 3b of the future. Santana is a better bet to duplicate last year's success, but you'd probably be selling high on him as well.

You're talking about arguably the #1 prospect in all of baseball at the hardest position to fill, one which also happens to be the position of greatest need for the Brewers. Honestly there's a good chance Pina and Vogt will completely bomb this year, as they're both over 30. Mejia could be so much better than them by default that it could make up the difference between Shaw and a replacement level player like Perez at 3b, let alone the boost to the rotation from Salazar. And you'd still have a chance to sign a guy like Moustakas if you really wanted to.

It makes me wonder what you would have said about trading Villar and Braun for Mejia last year, or trading McGehee and Hart for a top-3 prospect after McGehee's breakout year in 2009, which was eerily similar to Shaw's year in terms of age and trajectory. In both cases, you have a similar dynamic of guys who aren't really safe bets to duplicate their recent success, one of whom also had defensive issues at one of the easiest positions to play, and both at positions where it's not that hard to find replacements. I know it would be hard to take a potential step back this year, but it would be too good of a value to pass up for me.

From a talent stand point you're right. From a putting together a win now team - which is the direction we are at now- the pieces don't fit.

I do think Shaw is a clear regression candidate, but he is a 3B and we have none of those on the roster and took a long time just to find him.

Mejia is a guy we all like and would be a huge upgrade over our current catchers who are pretty much the definition of regression. I doubt even the most homer of homers is expecting repeat performances from those two in 2018.

Salazar has durability concerns so while he is really effective when he pitches, we need a legitimate 30 start 1-2 guy and I'm not sure if Salazar is that guy.

Does anyone have confirmation that HH19 survived his ice fishing trip? Or, did some posters on this site scare him away from ever dropping his inside knowledge here again? Just getting antsy for an update on where some of our trade discussions are at right now! I think the last we heard from him late last week he thought that a trade involving Doming was imminent along with another smaller deal potentially taking place after that.

Paging HH19! :)

From a talent stand point you're right. From a putting together a win now team - which is the direction we are at now- the pieces don't fit.

I do think Shaw is a clear regression candidate, but he is a 3B and we have none of those on the roster and took a long time just to find him.

Mejia is a guy we all like and would be a huge upgrade over our current catchers who are pretty much the definition of regression. I doubt even the most homer of homers is expecting repeat performances from those two in 2018.

Salazar has durability concerns so while he is really effective when he pitches, we need a legitimate 30 start 1-2 guy and I'm not sure if Salazar is that guy.

I'm not so sure it's even a huge step back right now. I think Mejia will be better than Pina this year. I think Salazar is A LOT better than Suter, Guerra, Gallardo, or whoever else is slated to be the 5th starter right now, and it would make it less necessary to take a huge gamble on Yu or Arrieta. If Shaw duplicates this year's success, then it is probably a step back for now, but not necessarily a huge one.

This would be a great move for later while not being all that bad right now, and they'd still have a chance to sign Moustakas instead of a starting pitcher. He would probably be a better value at a cheaper price. I also think it's misguided to imply that "all-in" is their guiding principle for this offseason. They've shown that they love to jump on good-value moves instead of being too married to a "when do we go for it" timeline.

Put it this way - you probably wouldn't have even gotten Salazar for Santana + Shaw at this time last year, and you would have been laughed off the phone if you asked for Mejia. The idea that it's no longer a good idea because Santana and Shaw both had a good year sure looks like a bad case of recency bias.

What about trading Yelich? He hasn't been a Brewer that long so fans aren't so attached to him. And as I understand it, he is worth at least some pretty good prospects. Maybe the Brewers could score a top of the rotation guy for him straight up?

Oh please start a new thread with this idea. I want to see heads pop off.

What about trading Yelich? He hasn't been a Brewer that long so fans aren't so attached to him. And as I understand it, he is worth at least some pretty good prospects. Maybe the Brewers could score a top of the rotation guy for him straight up?

Absolutely not. Why would we trade the pure hitting OF entering his prime with 5 years of control that we literally just acquired?

Sorry but I'm kind of shocked that it wouldn't even be a difficult decision for some people. With all due respect, you're being a homer if you can't see the value you'd be getting in a Shaw/Santana for Mejia/Salazar deal. Shaw is far from a lock to be our 3b of the future. Santana is a better bet to duplicate last year's success, but you'd probably be selling high on him as well.

You're talking about arguably the #1 prospect in all of baseball at the hardest position to fill, one which also happens to be the position of greatest need for the Brewers. Honestly there's a good chance Pina and Vogt will completely bomb this year, as they're both over 30. Mejia could be so much better than them by default that it could make up the difference between Shaw and a replacement level player like Perez at 3b, let alone the boost to the rotation from Salazar. And you'd still have a chance to sign a guy like Moustakas if you really wanted to.

It makes me wonder what you would have said about trading Villar and Braun for Mejia last year, or trading McGehee and Hart for a top-3 prospect after McGehee's breakout year in 2009, which was eerily similar to Shaw's year in terms of age and trajectory. In both cases, you have a similar dynamic of guys who aren't really safe bets to duplicate their recent success, one of whom also had defensive issues at one of the easiest positions to play, and both at positions where it's not that hard to find replacements. I know it would be hard to take a potential step back this year, but it would be too good of a value to pass up for me.

I'm not opposed to trading Shaw for the right deal, but he absolutely can be part of the future. Cheap as **** and his contract window fits right in with Cain, Yelich, etc.

It's a deal that's really going to have to make sense for us to move him. -David Stearns on Santana

It will be really interesting if there is a deal out there that will make sense.

I'm not so sure it's even a huge step back right now. I think Mejia will be better than Pina this year. I think Salazar is A LOT better than Suter, Guerra, Gallardo, or whoever else is slated to be the 5th starter right now, and it would make it less necessary to take a huge gamble on Yu or Arrieta. If Shaw duplicates this year's success, then it is probably a step back for now, but not necessarily a huge one.

I just don't think the Indians are going to trade Mejia. Since the Lucroy non-deal, he's upped his value to the point where I doubt the prospect of getting Santana and/or Shaw is enough for the Indians to move him.

My issue with saying that Salazar is better than Suter/Guerra/etc, is that while it's true (when he's healthy), the Brewers shouldn't be trading a couple of mid-20s .360+ wOBA guys for an upgrade over Suter. You can go out and get Patrick Corbin for that. For Santana and Shaw, I want a pitcher that's an upgrade over Jimmy Nelson and Chase Anderson.

FWIW, it also would seem to run counter to Stearns' MO to package Santana and Shaw.

Ok, let's get back on track here. Talked to my source this morning.

Yu Darvish: The last time I was on here the Brewer's made Darvish an offer. The Cubs then came in and beat their offer substantially. So, I put Darvish to Cubs. And as of today, the Cubs offer is still the highest on the table. But........Darvish wants to see what the Dodger's can afford. Apparently L.A. offers a larger Asian population with shorter flights for family from Japan. Darvish also prefers warmer weather.

Domingo Santana: The Brewer's came close to trading Domingo over the weekend. However, their pickups of Yelich and Cain may have impeded that. Apparently, the Brewers had offers for Cleveland, Tampa and one more team on the table. After the Brewer's acquisition of the OF's, it is known that Tampa upped what they wanted in return (Corbin Burnes) in a package for Archer. Stearns said no. Trade with T.B. has been put in limbo for now. My source gave the odds of Santana now be traded are at 75%. Brewers may also hold Domingo for the trade deadline. The Brewer's have a plan to get everybody in. Braun playing 2nd will not happen. Braun playing first could happen.

Let it be known that Brewer's presumably top 30 is not most major league's FO's top 30. Across MLB, Corbin Burnes is #1, Keston Hiura #2 and Lutz and Ray jocking for #3 and Freddy Peralta #4. (May differ from team to team but consensus) Phillips is now considered MLB talent.

Keon Broxton is being shopped for a Rookie league or A ball "home run". Similar to trading for Freddy Peralta at the stage the Brewers did.

As I said earlier, Hader is next to impossible of being traded.

Brewer's are high on Brett Phillips.

My personal opinion is the influx of OF's are holding things up now. Dodger's would like to send Kemp and even Puig somewhere, but have little to no takers. Pirates and Marlins plan on pulling guys from AAA including Brinson to be part of their everyday lineup. This leaves a surplus of vets looking for work (See Cargo, Keon Broxton, etc) This decreases value of OF obviously. And decreases supply and demand. Once Darvish signs, the dominoes could fall very fast. - this last paragraph is my opinion.

I completely agree with the above stated Mejia assessment. You could argue he did more for himself than monte did over the last year.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Domingo Santana: The Brewer's came close to trading Domingo over the weekend. However, their pickups of Yelich and Cain may have impeded that. Apparently, the Brewers had offers for Cleveland, Tampa and one more team on the table. After the Brewer's acquisition of the OF's, it is known that Tampa upped what they wanted in return (Corbin Burnes) in a package for Archer. Stearns said no.

Wait, are you saying that when the Brewers got Yelich and Cain that other teams wanted the Brewers to offer more because other teams feel that they lost leverage and lowered Santana's value? I was told that couldn't possibly happen.

Domingo Santana: The Brewer's came close to trading Domingo over the weekend. However, their pickups of Yelich and Cain may have impeded that. Apparently, the Brewers had offers for Cleveland, Tampa and one more team on the table. After the Brewer's acquisition of the OF's, it is known that Tampa upped what they wanted in return (Corbin Burnes) in a package for Archer. Stearns said no.

Wait, are you saying that when the Brewers got Yelich and Cain that other teams wanted the Brewers to offer more because other teams feel that they lost leverage and lowered Santana's value? I was told that couldn't possibly happen.

Yes.

But the Brewer's did not want to lose out on Yelich. Also, the Brewer's were not as high on Brinson as some would think.

Ok, let's get back on track here. Talked to my source this morning.

Yu Darvish: The last time I was on here the Brewer's made Darvish an offer. The Cubs then came in and beat their offer substantially. So, I put Darvish to Cubs. And as of today, the Cubs offer is still the highest on the table. But........Darvish wants to see what the Dodger's can afford. Apparently L.A. offers a larger Asian population with shorter flights for family from Japan. Darvish also prefers warmer weather.

Domingo Santana: The Brewer's came close to trading Domingo over the weekend. However, their pickups of Yelich and Cain may have impeded that. Apparently, the Brewers had offers from Cleveland, Tampa and one more team on the table. After the Brewer's acquisition of the OF's, it is known that Tampa upped what they wanted in return (Corbin Burnes) in a package for Archer. Stearns said no. Trade with T.B. has been put in limbo for now. My source gave the odds of Santana now be traded are at 75%. Brewers may also hold Domingo for the trade deadline. The Brewer's have a plan to get everybody in. Braun playing 2nd will not happen. Braun playing first could happen.

Let it be known that Brewer's presumably top 30 is not most major league's FO's top 30. Across MLB, Corbin Burnes is #1, Keston Hiura #2 and Lutz and Ray jocking for #3 and Freddy Peralta #4. (May differ from team to team but consensus) Phillips is now considered MLB talent.

Keon Broxton is being shopped for a Rookie league or A ball "home run". Similar to trading for Freddy Peralta.

As I said earlier, Hader is next to impossible of being traded.

Brewer's are high on Brett Phillips.

My personal opinion is the influx of OF's are holding things up now. Dodger's would like to send Kemp and even Puig somewhere, but have little to no takers. Pirates and Marlins plan on pulling guys from AAA including Brinson to be part of their everyday lineup. This leaves a surplus of vets looking for work (See Cargo, Keon Broxton, etc) This decreases value of OF obviously. And decreases supply and demand. Once Darvish signs, the dominoes could fall very fast. - this last paragraph is my opinion.

Hope you caught some fish. Would it be Santana and Burnes alone for Archer? I think I'd consider that. But if Burnes is now considered the team's top prospect, he could theoretically be up with the big club soon. I know is was speculated that other teams might adjust their offers knowing that the Brewers are loaded in the OF, but it's disappointing that GMs are that stupid. If teams are going to lowball on Santana, I'd just hang onto him and sort it out in Spring Training.

I figured they were high on Phillips. Unfortunately the logjam in the OF hurts his playing time

I’d hate to see Shomingo and Phillips getting such little playing time, but we’d have a monster bench.

I’d also be good with a Burnes / Shomingo for Archer deal. Just like the Yelich deal, let’s deal for really good now instead of hoping what we have ends up being that good.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Broxton and Phillips both have options and it'd be real easy to find AB's for our 4th OF with Braun and Cain, i'm not worried about leverage.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I’d hate to see Shomingo and Phillips getting such little playing time, but we’d have a monster bench.

I’d also be good with a Burnes / Shomingo for Archer deal. Just like the Yelich deal, let’s deal for really good now instead of hoping what we have ends up being that good.

It would take more than Domingo and Burnes!

Archived