Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don’t forget NELSON will be back. Hard to think we’re going to add 2 starters unless we include Davies or Woodruff in a big deal.

Why not? You could always use Anderson/Davies/Chacin as trade bait down the road.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

How about Domingo for Monte Harrison and Kyle Barraclough? I know it’s not likely but still pretty fair.

Essentially trade Domingo, Brinson, Diaz, Yamamoto for Yelich and Barraclough

Santana would have been worked into the original deal if the Marlins wanted him. They knew he was available.

I think it would be unwise of Stearns to count on Nelson for anything THIS season. Torn Labrum's scare me no matter what the severity. It's not a given that even when Nelson can work himself back that he will be anything close to the pitcher he was last season. Santana and Phillips for pitching makes sense, I'm hoping they can keep Shaw's name out of the picture.

I'm on the 'don't worry about Nelson coming back until he actually does' train as well. Too much uncertainty can happen before June. Heck, one of the others could be down hurt or prove ineffective before then. I'd rather go into the season with one starter too many than not enough.

How about Domingo for Monte Harrison and Kyle Barraclough? I know it’s not likely but still pretty fair.

Essentially trade Domingo, Brinson, Diaz, Yamamoto for Yelich and Barraclough

Santana would have been worked into the original deal if the Marlins wanted him. They knew he was available.

Absolutely. I am only mentioning that I would be willing to deal Santana for a solid/potentially elite RP and a top 100 prospect regardless of position.

I'm on the 'don't worry about Nelson coming back until he actually does' train as well. Too much uncertainty can happen before June. Heck, one of the others could be down hurt or prove ineffective before then. I'd rather go into the season with one starter too many than not enough.

It’s to the point you need Six starters Available at a moments notice In MLB ....by the time Nelson comes back so someone will have soreness tried arm or just plain ineffective you can never have enough MLB ready arms and issues of to many arms in the spring seems to always work them selfs out.

Baltimore thinks they can compete and generally does stupid things and Santana seems like their kind of HR/no defense player. Do they have anything other than Bundy worth looking at?

Schoop

Baltimore thinks they can compete and generally does stupid things and Santana seems like their kind of HR/no defense player. Do they have anything other than Bundy worth looking at?

Schoop

Schoop would be awesome but we'd probably have to add some for him. Idk their OF/2B depth situation but i think thatd be a lateral move for them and wouldnt really make sense.

Schoop

Schoop would be awesome but we'd probably have to add some for him. Idk their OF/2B depth situation but i think thatd be a lateral move for them and wouldnt really make sense.

Apparently he skipped out on their fan fest yesterday and no one is happy with him right now

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/1/26/16938286/baltimore-orioles-top-20-prospects-for-2018

I liked their 1st (DL Hall) and 2nd (Adam Hall) round draft picks last year. Long way off, lots of risk, so that has to be discounted in their value. Hunter Harvey has injury risks, and needs to start being protected on the 40 after next season, so that discounts his value. Should be able to get two of those three plus another C-type prospect.

They may or may not have a need. They have a young star of their own in Trey Mancini in LF who was a 1B in the minors (Davis is under contract through 2022). Austin Hays probably needs another year in the minors, but he likely takes over for Adam Jones in CF as Jones is a FA after next season. They're on the hook for Trumbo as DH for the next two seasons though. Maybe they ride with Santana in RF for two years until Trumbo is gone, then can fill RF with Santander/Mullins/Stewart.

Schoop

Send them Villar - then they have a perfect replacement at SS for Machado (who is set to play SS this year) when he leaves or they trade him...

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I am starting to do a 180 degree turn on the idea of trading Santana. This isn’t anything earth breaking, but are we crazy to be so willing to trade a player who just put up a 3.3 fWAR in his age 24 season for oft-injured Danny Salazar? I think at the very least it is a significant gamble.

At this point if trading Santana is a given, I would much prefer trying to wrangle ONE of Francisco Mejia or Triston McKenzie from the Indians for Santana (and include a second piece if necessary). Both are impact talents that could become difference makers over the long haul.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I am starting to do a 180 degree turn on the idea of trading Santana. This isn’t anything earth breaking, but are we crazy to be so willing to trade a player who just put up a 3.3 fWAR in his age 24 season for oft-injured Danny Salazar? I think at the very least it is a significant gamble.

At this point if trading Santana is a given, I would much prefer trying to wrangle ONE of Francisco Mejia or Triston McKenzie from the Indians for Santana (and include a second piece if necessary). Both are impact talents that could become difference makers over the long haul.

Do you think this team currently has enough starting pitching even if they sign a FA pitcher?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/rosenthals-latest-mets-domingo-nationals-kipnis.html

Rosenthal quotes rival executives saying that Santana is “a bad defender” and “not a winning player.”

Not a winning player? What a completely douchey thing to say behind the wall of anonymity. Seemed like he was a pretty big part of us winning 86 games last year. Seemed like a pretty winning player when he broke a scoreless tie in a pitcher's duel by homering off Clayton Kershaw.

I understand it's all posturing, but knowing something like that will be public, seems like a cowardly thing to say knowing you'll never have to answer for it and it's a completely impossible to define thing that you could literally say about anyone in an effort to downplay their value.

Bad defender? Sure, that's true. "Not a winning player?" Give me a break.

Do you think this team currently has enough starting pitching even if they sign a FA pitcher?

Enough starting pitching with a FA signing? I don’t know, maybe. Enough high-end starting pitching? No, they do not.

I am not opposed to trading Santana, but I have a sense he is not going to bring back the value he should at this point due to questions about his defense and K%.

I don’t want turn this into a debate over the virtues of the fWAR statistic, but it can at least be used as a helpful measure to compare player value. As referenced above Domingo put up a 3.3 fWAR season at age 24 last year, and that was with his bad defense and strikeouts factored in. That was tied for the 83rd most valuable player in Major League Baseball last season. I believe in the ability of 24 year old players to improve, sometimes quite significantly. George Springer had a 33% strike out rate in his age 24 season (345 plate appearances), a 24% strikeout rate at age 25 and 26, and now under 18% at age 27. I am not predicting he will become George Springer, but I also wouldn’t put him continuing to improve and develop into a 4+ win player out of the realm of possibilities. So what I guess I am saying, do we want to give up a player with a high ceiling for one that could certainly be a good pitcher, but who has had on-going arm, shoulder, and elbow concerns over multiple years? It seems too risky for me.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm not arguing the quality of ballplayer that Santan is, and your correct in that I was questioning top level pitching. My contention is that if they are "going for it", they need two good arms, not one. I trust Stearns but I'd guess Santana has to at least be part of a deal to get one of those arms or they don't get one. If they don't get two, I don't understand the move they have made to this point.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/rosenthals-latest-mets-domingo-nationals-kipnis.html

Rosenthal quotes rival executives saying that Santana is “a bad defender” and “not a winning player.”

Not a winning player? What a completely douchey thing to say behind the wall of anonymity. Seemed like he was a pretty big part of us winning 86 games last year. Seemed like a pretty winning player when he broke a scoreless tie in a pitcher's duel by homering off Clayton Kershaw.

I understand it's all posturing, but knowing something like that will be public, seems like a cowardly thing to say knowing you'll never have to answer for it and it's a completely impossible to define thing that you could literally say about anyone in an effort to downplay their value.

I will agree with you that it’s cowardly but is it because these execs see what we do at times? Santana comes off as a very lazy player. Now, he might not be st all but he is a bad defender and he’s lackadaisical. Not a great combination for some people. Either way, it would be great to win with Santana now just because of a comment like this.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I spotted the item on MLBTR before getting back to the board here. Here is what was written:

Trade speculation surrounding Brewers outfielder Domingo Santana has spiked ever since the team acquired Christian Yelich and signed Lorenzo Cain just minutes later. But although he slugged 30 homers last season and is just 25 years of age, his trade value may not be as high as one might think. Rosenthal quotes rival executives saying that Santana is “a bad defender” and “not a winning player.” Those comments come off a bit extreme, but it’s worth noting that he struck out in nearly 30% of his plate appearances last season while being worth -5 Defensive Runs Saved in the outfield.

There have been references to other metrics for Domingo being unusually high, an indication of him having some great luck last season.

As I have written before, Domingo has value but perhaps its not as high as many Brewer fans want to believe. Perhaps his greatest value to the Brewers is playing for them, not as a trade chip.

Time will tell.

I apologize if this has already been discussed in this thread, but what teams (besides Cleveland) still have a need for a RH hitting OF or DH?

Also, besides Domingo - what remaining guys (either free agents or potential trade targets) even profile similarly (or better) than Domingo?

Without doing a ton of research on this, it would seem to me that we probably have the best available guy that fits the profile out on the market right now. So, if a team is needing OF/DH help from a power RH bat - don't they almost have to come calling the Brewers right now?

Archived