Brewer Fanatic

Where is Domingo Going?

I just can't believe we seem to be having so much trouble finding a taker for a 25 year old with a .371 OBP and an OPS near .900 who makes half a million bucks.

I know he's not a treat to watch in the field but goodness, they have the DH over there.

How do you know they are having trouble?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just can't believe we seem to be having so much trouble finding a taker for a 25 year old with a .371 OBP and an OPS near .900 who makes half a million bucks.

I know he's not a treat to watch in the field but goodness, they have the DH over there.

Mostly, operating under the assumption that if they had a deal that they liked on the table, they would have accepted it. They would certainly have no reason not to now.

But it was reported during the Winter Meetings that a lot of AL scouts had some strong reservations about Santana.

If Santana isn’t staying, then Phillips ain’t starting. Not unless there’s injury out there. And if Santana isn’t staying, Aguilar will be the platoon most likely at 1B. Phillips will be a 4th OF and get his share of ABs and a defensive replacement at times. Pretty much no matter how this shakes out, Phillips isn’t starting. Unless injury occurs.

You're missing one of the most important variables in the equation. Their pitching staff would clearly benefit from an extra reliever, and if Braun can play 1b, it would be a waste of a roster spot to keep Aguilar. That extra reliever is going to add more value to the team than playing Braun in RF over Phillips and giving Aguilar ~50 starts. Perez's versatility makes him a lock for a roster spot ahead of Aguilar.

They had 13 pitchers at times last year and also nearly turned their season around and made the playoffs by using the bullpen all the time in September instead of a traditional 6 inning starter + 2-3 relievers plan for every game. Their rotation is once again not going to give you a ton of innings so it makes sense to use a lot of relievers. I'm confident that's what they're looking for and it's the right move.

Using your bullpen a ton in September is something you can do because the rosters expand. Let’s not over think this one too much here. Aguilar played a large role for the Brewers last year and could again next year if certain players are moved. They aren’t carrying 13 pitches all season long.

Dont have to carry 13. You can sit williams houser and ramirez in triple A and cycle them in when injuries pop up. No matter which path you go. Deal santana or not. If a bat goes down out depth and multi position capabilites can cover for the length of the injury and we can bring up a AAA rp to get some burn. Any position but C we could manage.

Thames braun aguilar villar sogard arcia shaw perez yelich cain santana. Lose of braun plays lf, perez some subs, aguilar get more time at 1st. Lose shaw, best option is perez anyway. Sogard villar can cover 2b and all 2b ss 3b depth. SS hurt play sogard, villar depth perez plays depth 3b and 2b. 2b obvious. 1b we'd have 3.

Thames aguilar villar sogard arcia shaw perez braun yelich cain phillips... even easier if braun merely moonlights at 1b.

There's no reason to call up rivera to sit on the bench. Need a ph... davies suter for the bunt, and if he's here, yo go swing. Suter would be fine as well.

Mostly, operating under the assumption that if they had a deal that they liked on the table, they would have accepted it. They would certainly have no reason not to now.

But it was reported during the Winter Meetings that a lot of AL scouts had some strong reservations about Santana.

Is it a deal they'd want announced before fanfest. Dealing santana before fan fest for anything that isnt seen as a clear ace is a buzzkill pr wise.

Aguilar OPS’d .837 overall and .889 vs. LHP last season. Again, you’re selling him short. You need guys who can come off the bench in the NL and deliver. Aguilar did that time and time again last season.

Plus we need as much Jesus on this team as we can get to make a run!

The next person who gives an even remotely rational reason for thinking last season's stats are a valid indicator of his future performance will be the first.

Aguilar OPS’d .837 overall and .889 vs. LHP last season. Again, you’re selling him short. You need guys who can come off the bench in the NL and deliver. Aguilar did that time and time again last season.

Plus we need as much Jesus on this team as we can get to make a run!

The next person who gives an even remotely rational reason for thinking last season's stats are a valid indicator of his future performance will be the first.

How about just not being a pessimist?

I am getting a little concerned how heavily people think fanfest can effect massive decisions for this ballclub. I am willing to bet Yelich/Cain happening this week was more coincidence than trying to do something before fanfest. If they had a deal in place for Santana I am pretty sure they would pull the trigger vs. risk losing the deal over upsetting fans.

Domingo Santana isn't even that much of a fan favorite. It isn't like we are about to dump Eric Thames or Ryan Braun on fanfest eve. I also think since Santana would be going for another MLB piece(like Archer or Salazar) I don't think the PR would be that bad. Not like we are trading for prospects and tearing the team down.

I am getting a little concerned how heavily people think fanfest can effect massive decisions for this ballclub. I am willing to bet Yelich/Cain happening this week was more coincidence than trying to do something before fanfest. If they had a deal in place for Santana I am pretty sure they would pull the trigger vs. risk losing the deal over upsetting fans.

Domingo Santana isn't even that much of a fan favorite. It isn't like we are about to dump Eric Thames or Ryan Braun on fanfest eve. I also think since Santana would be going for another MLB piece(like Archer or Salazar) I don't think the PR would be that bad. Not like we are trading for prospects and tearing the team down.

Santana was the best bat on our team last year. Adding yelich and cain are positives. We aren't getting archer. That's labelled an ace. Salazar does nothing for the casual fan. They follow braun like a star who has 1 good year since he was caught cheating. The follow thames cuz he has a beard? The casual fan doesn't know salazar.

You aren't losing a deal by waiting til monday. You just avoid questions. You really think these gms dont have a decency amoungst each other or a working understanding of their fan base. They have pr people. They coukda had this all but wrapped up weeks ago in the event other things worked out... yelich cain in and the deal is on... for monday.

It looks like Santana will be going to Fan Fest.

Is this a change or scheduled?

He’s been on their list of players ever since I’ve seen it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

But if TOR jjjust lost out on Yelich why wouldn't they be in on Santana?

Yelich is a special controllable talent that is cheap. Everyone wants him.

Santana while good is one of many good offensive OFers...and sucks defensively. You have the chance to get Santana type players all the time. They weren't necessarily looking for an OFer. Sometimes you start wanting one when Yelich becomes available though.

Sorry if this was posted earlier on the 14 pages of this thread (and I did look).

But if TOR jjjust lost out on Yelich why wouldn't they be in on Santana?

Stroman for Santana and then fill in the gaps of the deal to even out the trade.

I love the idea of targeting Stroman, but a team trying to win likely won't want to trade a pitcher like Stroman. It's a slightly different situation than tampa due to tampas payroll restraints and the pitching in their minor league system. Blue jays don't have much while tampa is strong at starter and has honeywell about to make a hader-like impact as a starting pitcher this year.

I could see a trade for Santana for prospects to the blue jays, or maybe they take a chance on Broxton for a lesser return. TOR also was involved on Cain as well I believe, the clearly are trying to improve their OF.

We just got a seriois reality check with the Yelich trade. It will take Stantana plus two of our remaining 3 top 100s to bring back a guy like Stroman.

Santana / Woodruff / Ortiz + a flyer

Do they say no?

We just got a seriois reality check with the Yelich trade. It will take Stantana plus two of our remaining 3 top 100s to bring back a guy like Stroman.

Do they say no?

Imho that’s the package we use to get our starter. DS I’m sure is trying to do Phillips instead.

Do they say no?

Imho that’s the package we use to get our starter. DS I’m sure is trying to do Phillips instead.

I'd take a shot at a Salazar and hold on to Phillips. Santana's such a defensive liability that he negates the defensive upgrades in CF and LF. An of of Yelich, Cain and Phillips would help our pitchers immensely.

Since the Blue Jays were the other serious offer for Yelich and they were also contenders for Lorenzo Cain, wouldn't the Blue Jays be interested in Santana or Phillips?

No way do they trade Stroman, but they have a couple minor leaguers I really like that could be coming back as prospects, namely SP Nate Pearson and C Danny Jansen.

I think something easily could be worked out here.

What about Santana for Corbin AZs top 2 prospects and another bat we like in their system?

Corbin and two top 100s... 63 and 96... plus a throw in. The contact tool on their LH 1b is right up stearns alley.

They lost JD and can't afford him back.

What about Santana for Corbin AZs top 2 prospects and another bat we like in their system?

Corbin and two top 100s... 63 and 96... plus a throw in. The contact tool on their LH 1b is right up stearns alley.

I don't really like Corbin so that is the least I would take for Santana but, in reality, we'd probably only receive one of those two prospects back in a trade along with Corbin.

I don't really like Corbin so that is the least I would take for Santana but, in reality, we'd probably only receive one of those two prospects back in a trade along with Corbin.

Segura and Banda brought back Anderson and Diaz plus?

Santana should be worth more than 1 season of Corbin +. Anderson/vorbin are #4s at the time of these trades.

Corbin doesnt improve the team enough to be the pitcher you target in a trade with Santana. With Broxton, Corbin is the type of pitcher you target. It wouldnt be straight up but a 16-25 prospect included in system as the throw in.

Also, including Woodruff in trades, I mean you had better use him in trades where the pitcher is clearly special over Woodruff. That would be like Jon Gray in Colorado, or Jose Berrios in Minnesota. Fulmer, where hes at is not doing that. Clevinger is not doing that, not a guy with 4+BB/9. I dont get why some are so down on Woodruff when he was top 80 prospect. And with his performance as a rookie? I believe hes going to be a strong 3 for the next 6 years. Milw,s version of Lance Lynn who produced #2 stats at occasions.

Lance Lynn is a good upside comp for Woodruff, here's hoping we get that. I'm not so sure including woodruff in a trade for a starting pitcher makes sense. It improves that one slot, but we still have a 5th slot to fill. There are at least a couple moves that need to happen yet at the MLB level, adding a pitcher will definitely be at least one of them.

Archived