Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

LF- Yelich / CF- Cain / RF- Santana / 1B- Braun w/Thames

My preference on this:

1B: Braun (81 games), Thames (81 games w/ 0 against LHP)

LF: Yelich (100 games); Braun (52 games)

CF: Cain (110 games); Yelich (52 games)

RF: Phillips (120 games); Cain (42 games)

Trade Santana for Salazar + or for Meija and sign a FA pitcher.

This keeps Braun at ~130 games, Yelich & Cain at ~150 games, Phillips at ~120 games and Thames at ~80 games. Seems like a good split to me.

I'm sure Thames will be really stoked about playing half of a season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My preference on this:

This keeps Braun at ~130 games, Yelich & Cain at ~150 games, Phillips at ~120 games and Thames at ~80 games. Seems like a good split to me.

I like that split. I am OK with Phillips at 100-120 and Thames between 80-100, but overall looks good. Assuming Braun stays healthy.

My preference on this:

The one thing you miss here, often Phillips will play against LHP. If Braun plays every game at 1b against LHP, there's only one guy left to play in the outfield. This type of platoon works much better with Broxton than Phillips, and best with Santana.

This is an honest question but I get the feeling that some of you believe this. Does anyone think they have enough pitching right now? I, obviously, believe they need at least one starter and probably two.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

regarding payroll concerns, while they are always an issue in Milwaukee, this team did get through the past few seasons on limited payrolls, I believe. Not all of that savings went towards improving concessions or installing stadium videoboards - perhaps there was enough in the "rainy day/happy day" fund and revenue sharing dollars for Mark A to tell Stearns that he was good with balooning payroll up a bit, particularly when it looks like revenues league-wide are jumping.

Yelich and Cain should be aiming at 162 games a piece as long as they're healthy. Why would we sit the two stars we just added in favor of Brett Phillips??? (No offense to Phillips, who I do like)

This is an honest question but I get the feeling that some of you believe this. Does anyone think they have enough pitching right now? I, obviously, believe they need at least one starter and probably two.

let's revisit that question after this weekend...something tells me they aren't close to being done.

My preference on this:

I'm sure Thames will be really stoked about playing half of a season.

You are forgetting the annual Braun 1-2 month injury. Thames would end up getting 100 (or more) games.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

They need another starter or two.... And they'll continue to negotiate on trades and free agents to improve the pitching. I remain concerned about the bullpen too

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

let's revisit that question after this weekend...something tells me they aren't close to being done.

I'm firmly in that boat too. I just think Santana is really the only trade option for anything close to a TOR. Thus, those that want to keep Santana, how do they get the pitching they need?

regarding payroll concerns, while they are always an issue in Milwaukee, this team did get through the past few seasons on limited payrolls, I believe. Not all of that savings went towards improving concessions or installing stadium videoboards - perhaps there was enough in the "rainy day/happy day" fund and revenue sharing dollars for Mark A to tell Stearns that he was good with balooning payroll up a bit, particularly when it looks like revenues league-wide are jumping.

I think that's likely. The stadium upgrades likely wouldn't impact our payrolls/rainy day fund too significantly. Add in the $50 million one time payout, I think $120ish is the high end but I don't think I'd be surprised by the Brewers payroll unless it went over $140.

Yelich and Cain should be aiming at 162 games a piece as long as they're healthy. Why would we sit the two stars we just added in favor of Brett Phillips??? (No offense to Phillips, who I do like)

No way should you expect a player to play in every game; especially a 32 year old centerfielder.

You are forgetting the annual Braun 1-2 month injury. Thames would end up getting 100 (or more) games.

Right. Because Braun didn't play 135, 140, 135 the three years previous to last season. Annual must mean something different to you.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Guys get aches and pains. It absolutely makes sense to give Yelich and Cain a game or two off per month if they get dinged up, especially the older Cain. Even projection sites figure on the most healthy of players sitting out at least a few games per year.

They need another starter or two.... And they'll continue to negotiate on trades and free agents to improve the pitching. I remain concerned about the bullpen too

Yeah, the pen has crossed my mind too but I think they have some internal options there. T. Williams and Houser in particular. I agree they need two and that it will probably be a FA and a trade but if Santana is not the main piece in the trade, who is?

Right. Because Braun didn't play 135, 140, 135 the three years previous to last season. Annual must mean something different to you.

Geesh B4U. I think we all know Braun has these nagging injuries even when he is playing that might be better served if he just sat down a few weeks. I do wonder how much "healthier" Braun gets if they put a high end roster around him. Might be his last hurah.

Guys get aches and pains. It absolutely makes sense to give Yelich and Cain a game or two off per month if they get dinged up, especially the older Cain. Even projection sites figure on the most healthy of players sitting out at least a few games per year.

Yes, agreed. Although its great to see a guy push to play every single game, the smart play is timely rest. Target playing about 150 games on the schedule to allow their bodies not to get worn down. Especially Cain and Braun.

I believe they get at least one more starter. Probably by trading Santana. At this point wouldn't be shocked if they signed a FA as well. The last 24 hours have really confused my expectations.

Geesh B4U. I think we all know Braun has these nagging injuries even when he is playing that might be better served if he just sat down a few weeks. I do wonder how much "healthier" Braun gets if they put a high end roster around him. Might be his last hurah.

The bagging on Braun gets old and tiresome for me. Especially when it's information like he'll miss 1-2 months. Other than last season, that's never been him in his entire career. Sure, does he have nagging injuries from time to time? Yep. But he still produced. It's comical that we just signed Cain and traded for Yelich and yet, there's Braun still having better offensive numbers.

But I do agree with you on the high-end roster comment. Braun should feel a lot less pressure to produce this season and should always have men on base in front of him. He's probably giddy right now with the moves being made. Hasn't had this type of a lineup with him since Prince's departure.

Geez..sorry! I said 1-2 months. 135-140 games is not great for someone making that kind of money. He missed many games with nagging injuries. Keep in mind several of those games were late inning pinch hitting appearances. Let's just say I don't think he's getting healthier as he gets older and I don't think it a crazy notion to assume Braun will be on the DL at some point in 2018.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yes, agreed. Although its great to see a guy push to play every single game, the smart play is timely rest. Target playing about 150 games on the schedule to allow their bodies not to get worn down. Especially Cain and Braun.

And with what they just added and likely a quality backup in Phillips. He probably won't feel the need/pressure to play through things now. Also, helped by the 10 day DL instead of 15, so it's easier to pop on it for minor things. Clearly Braun should have hit the DL late last year but felt he had to play through it, this year with what they just added it should be easier to sit.

And to what brew4u just said, all the nagging on BRaun but Cain missed 60 games in 2016.

With the huge stockpile of OF we now have, it seems like there are so many different combinations of direction we can go at this point. I really liked the Thames/Aguilar platoon at 1B in 2017 in terms of production for the cost. It seems like Braun might end up being shifted to 1B this year to help clear the overflow of current OFs unless multiple moves are made. Also, Yelich has never played a MLB inning of RF in his career and by all reports he has a below average arm, so I really hope we don't have any inkling of trying him in RF which means I think Santana, Braun, or Phillips are the RF in 2018.

1) Keep Santana, move Braun to 1B, sign Walker to 2B, sign one of Yu, Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb. In this case, I think you keep Phillips as the 4th OF, trade Broxton, Aguilar, Villar, and Thames - would be happy receiving prospects similar in range from Diaz to Yamamoto for each of these four. I think this is my preferred route they go. Could have an order of: Cain CF, Yelich LF, Braun 1B, Shaw 3B, Santana RF, Walker 2B, Pina C, Arcia SS, P.

2) Trade Santana to CLE for Triston McKenzie or BOS for Michael Chavis and Tanner Houck, sign one of the 4 SP FAs, Braun to RF.

What if there's a trade for a 2B and/or 3B? Move Shaw to 1B. makes Thames, Aguilar, Villar, Santana, and Broxton all needed to be moved.

So many different ways to go.

Yes, Cain is going to have to be watched as well. Age and injury concerns. Maybe that is the reason the Brewers might be okay with keeping Santana? If they do keep Santana, I hope they have the plan to just move Braun to 1B. Set a lineup for the most part. Part ways with Thames via trade. Try to stash Aguilar in AAA. And allow Choi or someone else to backup 1B.

Yes they need 1 more Starter, but not 2. If they don't trade Santana for a SP, you have Burnes or Woodruff to go with Thames/Aguilar in a deal to acquire a SP. I do not however think they need 2 SPs to start this year.

As to the Bullpen concerns, Hader solves 80% of those concerns to me. Hader/Kneble duo is as good as you can ask for. If they are shutting down the 8th/9th innings, Playing guys like Williams, Suter, Barnes, and Jeffress is average enough. It's funny to just read everyone wanting More, More, More like unless all 25 aren't ASs we need to find another.

Archived