Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

Thanks HH. Is there any moves the Brewers feel they have to make before the season starts?

SP.

Are there any moves they feel they CAN make before spring training starts? Are there any moves they feel they WILL make before spring training starts?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Yu really expect to get a better deal by continuing to wait? I have no knowledge of the negotiations, but it would seem to me that teams have given their best offers. If anything maybe teams are growing weary. Is he just chilling out for no reason?

Collusion among Agents/players seems more likely to me than collusion by front offices this offseason. The front offices limiting spending makes sense for so many reasons. These players holding out for the demands reported is extremely aggravating and illogical.

What Mr. Stone just said.

Thanks HH. Is there any moves the Brewers feel they have to make before the season starts?

SP.

Are there any moves they feel they CAN make before spring training starts? Are there any moves they feel they WILL make before spring training starts?

They CAN make numerous small moves, but they won't. Realize you don't want to waste your nickels on bubblegum when you may need that nickel to buy that candybar. Once the candybar is sold, then you buy your gumballs.

Does Yu really expect to get a better deal by continuing to wait? I have no knowledge of the negotiations, but it would seem to me that teams have given their best offers. If anything maybe teams are growing weary. Is he just chilling out for no reason?

Collusion among Agents/players seems more likely to me than collusion by front offices this offseason. The front offices limiting spending makes sense for so many reasons. These players holding out for the demands reported is extremely aggravating and illogical.

What Mr. Stone just said.

Except if you ask the players they will tell you they are getting the raw deal here. Two sides to every story. It’s aggravating for them to not get contracts they feel they deserve and it’s aggravating for the fans who have been waiting 2 months for SOMETHING to happen.

They CAN make numerous small moves, but they won't. Realize you don't want to waste your nickels on bubblegum when you may need that nickel to buy that candybar. Once the candybar is sold, then you buy your gumballs.

Not what I meant but we can go with your analogy. Are they buying a candybar for spring training?

Not what I meant but we can go with your analogy. Are they buying a candybar for spring training?

They want to! But makes no sense for them to buy now as they know the prices will fall.

Right now, the fans are the most impatient.

Except if you ask the players they will tell you they are getting the raw deal here. Two sides to every story. It’s aggravating for them to not get contracts they feel they deserve and it’s aggravating for the fans who have been waiting 2 months for SOMETHING to happen.

What they feel they deserve is the contracts from 3-5 years ago that are now mostly horrible contracts for the teams that signed them. Boras can say whatever he wants, most deals into a players late 30s end horribly for the team. And it doesn't change the fact that the players collectively bargained for the deal in place...and them colluding is completely not OK. This is a weird year for free agents, if these guys were smart...they'd bet on themselves on a 1 year deal for $25-30 million and take part in the frenzy that will be the 2018 offseason. I'm sure teams would line up for a deal like that. Heck Darvish could probably sign 2/50 with an opt out after year one...protects himself in case of injury but lets him hit the market in 2018.

What they feel they deserve is the contracts from 3-5 years ago that are now mostly horrible contracts for the teams that signed them. Boras can say whatever he wants, most deals into a players late 30s end horribly for the team. And it doesn't change the fact that the players collectively bargained for the deal in place...and them colluding is completely not OK. This is a weird year for free agents, if these guys were smart...they'd bet on themselves on a 1 year deal for $25-30 million and take part in the frenzy that will be the 2018 offseason. I'm sure teams would line up for a deal like that. Heck Darvish could probably sign 2/50 with an opt out after year one...protects himself in case of injury but lets him hit the market in 2018.

I agree with you. The contracts now are much smarter. But man it has to be hard for these guys to look at Albert Pujols and A Gonz and not think they are getting screwed sideways in this free agent market. Whether they are right or not is irrelevant to the emotional part of the deal.

Archer: I mentioned earlier that for Archer it would take Sanatana, Phillips, Burnes and Peralta. That's what the Rays currently want. That's not what Stearn's is going to give them. So relax. Ray's are pressing hard to get max value and willing to wait this out.

Brewer's currently looking at adding a serviceable catcher for whatever that's worth.

Couple of things ... on Archer, I'm glad Stearns is playing hardball. Personally, I'd give up Santana, Burnes, Peralta and another prospect in that deal, but Phillips is a non-starter. He's a perfect fit for the team's revamped strong defensive OF. And they'll need him, especially if Santana is dealt. I don't blame the Rays for asking for the moon, though. Archer, given his contract, is extremely valuable.

As for a serviceable catcher, I'm stumped. Lucroy is easily the top catcher left on the market, but then you're looking at back-up type guys like Hannigan or Salty, or old guys like Ruiz or AJ Ellis. I don't know if there is anything after Lucroy that would be an upgrade on Vogt.

They want to! But makes no sense for them to buy now as they know the prices will fall.

Right now, the fans are the most impatient.

Why would prices fall? I thought the issue was that FA prices are too low. A trade candidate isn't going to get all that, if any, less valuable at the trade deadline. Heck, might even get more expensive as trade targets tend to do at the trade deadline. We are way to close to spring training for teams to start drastically dropping prices for no apparent reason.

The players cannot collude by definition lol

Why is everybody so hellbent on defending billionaires who have a long history of collusion in this sport specifically? Makes no sense

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
HH are you on Twitter?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hey HH19,

In your opinion - what is the player most sought after/ targeted/ desired from the Indians by the Brewers - Kipnis, Salazar, Mejia, someone else??

First....are you an Indians fan or a Brewer's fan?

Shouldn't matter. Baseball Fan, raised on the Tribe in the 70s & 80s.

Spent nearly 4 yrs in NW WI during this decade..

HH are you on Twitter?

No. And no Facebook either. Too many pricks on both. I don't have patience for people's crap.

I am just a diehard Brewer fan. One of my goals in life is to be in Miller park for 1 Brewer World Series game. Just 1.

HH are you on Twitter?

No. And no Facebook either. Too many pricks on both. I don't have patience for people's crap.

I am just a diehard Brewer fan. One of my goals in life is to be in Miller park for 1 Brewer World Series game. Just 1.

Figured. Thanks

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hey HH19,

In your opinion - what is the player most sought after/ targeted/ desired from the Indians by the Brewers - Kipnis, Salazar, Mejia, someone else??

First....are you an Indians fan or a Brewer's fan?

Shouldn't matter. Baseball Fan, raised on the Tribe in the 70s & 80s.

Spent nearly 4 yrs in NW WI during this decade..

Does matter, you took some of my quotes over to the Indians forum a few weeks ago and made me look not so good.

HH are you on Twitter?

I was at game 5 of the 1982 World Series. Saw the Brewers win one. It was sweet.

Oh so close that year.

If Stearns thinks the massive price we paid for two Outfielders on a team without an OF problem represents good value and not a win now mode, then I am dating Margot Robbie.

He is just posturing with teams he is negotiating for pitching help and praying no one knows he is bluffing.

Signing a 32 year old OF to a $80M no trade contract and giving up a draft pick isn't win now? Uh ok David, we believe you. Lol.

If you think 'value' has anything to do with only acquiring OFers if we had an OF problem, I don't think you understand what 'value' means as the term was used.

Cain and especially Yelich are multi year investments who were acquired because Stearns and his analytical team believe the value they bring in production exceeds the price paid in money and prospects. That's why they were acquired, not (prinarily) because we wanted to 'go for It' in 2018.

If the goal was to truly find bargains vs the rapidly dropping $8m per WAR model (and it isn't), I suggest IT run a virus scan on Stearns computer.

Todd Frazier's contract vs WAR suggests a true value. Cain's no trade deal suggest significantly overpaying his last 2-3 years to acquire his high war first two years in a win now move.

Archived