Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

the more I think about it, I am coming around to spending big dollars/trading way too much on quality pitching. If the FO has decided to go for it in the next two years, I as a fan, will enjoy the ride. The thing the Brewers have going for them, if it doesn't work in two years, is a lot of young controllable assets. They can always flip players like Shaw, Yelich, Anderson, Santana, Nelson, ECT. for a prospect haul in a couple of years and quickly rebuild the system.

And if it does work out, the vast majority of the team is controlled for the next three to five years, which means lots of prospects aren't really needed. And that means three to five years of drafting prospects pretty much knowing when they will be needed to replace the players in the majors.

That's assuming we actually want all of these guys under control for 3-5 years. It was only a year ago when Stearns tried to give Villar $22M to be our controlled 2B for example. Broxton was a budding Mike Cameron. By April 30th, Thames was a legitimate MVP candidate. Junior was our opening day starter.

Times change rapidly in baseball and sports in general. It's not just the Brewers. Look at the Cubs who had a lineup that was the envy of the game in spring of 2017 that is now down to Rizzo and Bryant as the only guys they can truly count on .

I think it's a very safe bet that Yelich will be a good to great player for the next 4-5 years. Ditto Arcia and Hader. Braun obviously won't be. Shaw and Thames are iffy to repeat 2017. The catchers are stop gaps. Cain won't be a star for the life of his deal. I'm assuming Hiura will take over by 2019 and will be one of our key players. I like Knebel a lot but his 2017 was almost impossible to top.

That's why this is a short term plan. We will hope for the best in 18 and 19 and realize that 20 will be whatever the baseball Gods decide.

This is the reason I like Odorizzi.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really wonder how much is being held up by what free agent pitcher - if any - the Brewers get. If they get Darvish or Arrieta are they more willing to go with a guy like Odorizzi, Bauer, etc? If they get Lynn or Cobb or no one do they want a guy who they see is more of a potential number 2 type guy like Archer (whether you see him that way or not some people obviously do).

I really wonder how much is being held up by what free agent pitcher - if any - the Brewers get. If they get Darvish or Arrieta are they more willing to go with a guy like Odorizzi, Bauer, etc? If they get Lynn or Cobb or no one do they want a guy who they see is more of a potential number 2 type guy like Archer (whether you see him that way or not some people obviously do).

I agree. I think the brewers need to do the opposite of the Yellich Trade/Cain FA signing and sign a FA pitcher first then worry about a trade. If we can land either Darvish or Arrieta I think there's less need for Archer if the Rays won't reduce their demands. Also, as the FA logjam breaks up the teams looking for SP will drop and the demand for Archer will drop (if there is other demand besides the brewers). As Rays increased their asking price after we obtained 2 OF, they should expect we will pay less as we already added a FA arm without giving up any prospects.

Peralta is a righty Hader out of Pen

I've heard this from several on this board, and I'd like to know where it comes from. Just because he's small? Because it isn't because he has the same kind of stuff. Hader hits 97 with ease, while Peralta sits at 88-92. Yes, he put up very nice numbers last year, but I just don't understand the hype. To me he's just another in a long line of undersized righties that get hit around once they get up to the upper levels. We'll see if he makes it to Colorado Springs this year.

Look at there stat lines. They are nearly identical. High K, walks are higher, filthy & have very low Opposing batter average. Power arm with great life on off speed. Goes on.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

That's the Stearns equivalent of 'I'm not motivated to move Lyle Overbay,' I think.

It sounds like nothing is imminent, or other teams asking prices are too high. This makes me feel like nothing is going to happen for us in the next few days, maybe we try to pick off Cobb or Lynn once the ball starts rolling...or a different GM blinks on their demands for SP. We definitely will add a SP, one way or another.

Hot stove...cooling.....

I can understand. Darvish is likely just using the Brewers to bring his price up for other teams and Arrieta is a Boras guy so they won't take market unless it's opening day and even then probably not.

Tampa doesn't have to move Archer so his value is high and Cleveland probably doesn't think they need a RH OF since they walked away from the rest of their division last year. If Minnesota made some serious moves that might put pressure on CLE. I like a fallback of trading Broxton for Corbin if the DBacks would consider.

Hot stove...cooling.....

Haudricourt asking Stearns a question. Garbage. Stearns isn’t going to show his hand. He isn’t going to give us insider info etc. Haudricourt is worthless for rumors and inside info.

This could definitely be an effort at gaining leverage with other GM's/agents. Hard to say, I still think it's unlikely anything is imminent based on that comment. No reason to make a comment like that if something was going to happen in the next 24 hours.

Tampa doesn't have to move Archer so his value is high and Cleveland probably doesn't think they need a RH OF since they walked away from the rest of their division last year. If Minnesota made some serious moves that might put pressure on CLE. I like a fallback of trading Broxton for Corbin if the DBacks would consider.

Ironically, the best way to move Santana may be for the Twins to sign Darvish.

And if it does work out, the vast majority of the team is controlled for the next three to five years, which means lots of prospects aren't really needed. And that means three to five years of drafting prospects pretty much knowing when they will be needed to replace the players in the majors.

That's assuming we actually want all of these guys under control for 3-5 years. It was only a year ago when Stearns tried to give Villar $22M to be our controlled 2B for example. Broxton was a budding Mike Cameron. By April 30th, Thames was a legitimate MVP candidate. Junior was our opening day starter.

Times change rapidly in baseball and sports in general. It's not just the Brewers. Look at the Cubs who had a lineup that was the envy of the game in spring of 2017 that is now down to Rizzo and Bryant as the only guys they can truly count on .

I think it's a very safe bet that Yelich will be a good to great player for the next 4-5 years. Ditto Arcia and Hader. Braun obviously won't be. Shaw and Thames are iffy to repeat 2017. The catchers are stop gaps. Cain won't be a star for the life of his deal. I'm assuming Hiura will take over by 2019 and will be one of our key players. I like Knebel a lot but his 2017 was almost impossible to top.

That's why this is a short term plan. We will hope for the best in 18 and 19 and realize that 20 will be whatever the baseball Gods decide.

This is the reason I like Odorizzi.

He had a 5.35 FIP last year. That is flat out terrifying.

Ironically, the best way to move Santana may be for the Twins to sign Darvish.

Those chances took a serious hit when Chris Gimenez did not resign with the Twins & instead signed with Chicago's north siders...

OK, I'm sure Stearns didn't want to take the spotlight away from the NFL this weekend which is why he didn't pull the trigger on anything during Super Bowl weekend. Maybe he's even an Eagles fan and is out rioting in the streets of Milwaukee tonight?

HH19 - can you confirm?

So, 53 pages and the answer is nothing.....nothing is next.

Well, we did trade Susac in the process of this thread.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived