Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

I realize this Brewer World account may be a parody, but would there be a possibility the 24 tweet was referring to Jake Bauers from Tampa? Obviously if that was true it would also include Archer I'd imagine. Probably crazy speculation on my part, but thought it was worth mentioning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize this Brewer World account may be a parody, but would there be a possibility the 24 tweet was referring to Jake Bauers from Tampa? Obviously if that was true it would also include Archer I'd imagine. Probably crazy speculation on my part, but thought it was worth mentioning.

I doubt it, but that's at least something else to talk about and an interesting catch. Lefty 1B close to the majors, I know nothing about him but i'd imagine we would be mortgaging the farm for him and Archer.

That's a really interesting take actually (also with the caveat that I wouldn't really trust BW, but he does spew out enough stuff he finds in random places that he does accidentally hit on things sometimes). As soon as it was mentioned Phillips might be needed in an Archer deal I was wondering if there was an OF bat they could throw back our way to lessen the blow.

In addition to actually sounding more like "Jack Bauer" than Trevor does, he bats lefthanded, has actually played more outfield than first the past two seasons (last year predominantly in LF, while in 2016 predominantly in RF), and despite not showing a lot of power for a 1B/corner OF type, he gets on base at a good clip and is ranked 73 on MLB's top prospect list. Certainly would make giving up a haul for Archer a bit easier to stomach.

I was just researching Tampa's Top 20 this evening and I noticed they had a prospect named Jake Bauers. When I dug deeper and saw he was a Lefty bat that played the Outfield corners and 1B it kind of made sense to me. Especially if Phillips or Thames/Aguliar were part of the deal. This certainly doesn't mean I endorse including Phillips, but at least we'd get a top 100 guy back. My 2 cents anyway

That's a really interesting take actually (also with the caveat that I wouldn't really trust BW, but he does spew out enough stuff he finds in random places that he does accidentally hit on things sometimes). As soon as it was mentioned Phillips might be needed in an Archer deal I was wondering if there was an OF bat they could throw back our way to lessen the blow.

In addition to actually sounding more like "Jack Bauer" than Trevor does, he bats lefthanded, has actually played more outfield than first the past two seasons (last year predominantly in LF, while in 2016 predominantly in RF), and despite not showing a lot of power for a 1B/corner OF type, he gets on base at a good clip and is ranked 73 on MLB's top prospect list. Certainly would make giving up a haul for Archer a bit easier to stomach.

Jake Bauers is a high OBP guy who should develop into a solid MLB regular.

Maybe the Brewers get Jake Bauers and Jake Faria from the Rays for Santana? Both Jake’s were in KATOH’s mid-season top 100 prospects.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If asking price is Santana, Phillips, Burns, Peralta.... I walk away easily. I see that as a drastic undervalue of 4 years of Santana’s bat. AL has DH option So is ehh defense shouldn’t factor in too much. He is too you, too controllable, and has just started to breakout offensively. Basically you are giving up a pre-prime Cory Hart (boarderline all-star, every day middle order bat), and three top 10 prospects. Santana, Phillips, Burns have all been top 100 prospects & Peralta can’t be far away. I don’t see how with Santana you’d still need to trade that much. Burns is Chase Anderson type starter, Peralta is a righty Hader out of Pen, and Phillips is top notch defender with elite arm & offers enough offensively due to walks & Defensive abilities. Archer is not worth the squeeze

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Peralta is a righty Hader out of Pen

I've heard this from several on this board, and I'd like to know where it comes from. Just because he's small? Because it isn't because he has the same kind of stuff. Hader hits 97 with ease, while Peralta sits at 88-92. Yes, he put up very nice numbers last year, but I just don't understand the hype. To me he's just another in a long line of undersized righties that get hit around once they get up to the upper levels. We'll see if he makes it to Colorado Springs this year.

Jake Bauers is a high OBP guy who should develop into a solid MLB regular.

Maybe the Brewers get Jake Bauers and Jake Faria from the Rays for Santana? Both Jake’s were in KATOH’s mid-season top 100 prospects.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I highly doubt Tampa would deal Faria though.

the more I think about it, I am coming around to spending big dollars/trading way too much on quality pitching. If the FO has decided to go for it in the next two years, I as a fan, will enjoy the ride. The thing the Brewers have going for them, if it doesn't work in two years, is a lot of young controllable assets. They can always flip players like Shaw, Yelich, Anderson, Santana, Nelson, ECT. for a prospect haul in a couple of years and quickly rebuild the system.

I think BrewerFan.net is too thirsty for trade rumors :laughing

It’s been a downward slope this offseason. We started off with our high expectations only accepting 10’s like Rosenthal. We then started getting a little desperate and we went for questionable sources that were 6’s like HighHeat. Now after consuming too many rumors a short pause in the action we are jumping onto any rumor with legs.

the more I think about it, I am coming around to spending big dollars/trading way too much on quality pitching. If the FO has decided to go for it in the next two years, I as a fan, will enjoy the ride. The thing the Brewers have going for them, if it doesn't work in two years, is a lot of young controllable assets. They can always flip players like Shaw, Yelich, Anderson, Santana, Nelson, ECT. for a prospect haul in a couple of years and quickly rebuild the system.

Expect if things fall off after two years there is one buffer year to find out that happened. If that happens that means most guys fell off the cliff and you are happy if two of those guys hold the massive value you are inferring to(Gomez/Lucroy are an example). Good luck having another quick rebuild like this though. That shouldn’t be considered a norm.

Bottom line they need to draft better. That is the biggest long term concern. We can always replenish a farm trading off the MLB team. Let’s see if we can have a strong farm without killing every useful MLB level asset. Because we got lucky this time having such a short rebuild.

And if it does work out, the vast majority of the team is controlled for the next three to five years, which means lots of prospects aren't really needed. And that means three to five years of drafting prospects pretty much knowing when they will be needed to replace the players in the majors.

No matter what they do trade wise, isn’t it a given that they have to draft well if they are to sustain any sort of success? Really stating the obvious with that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Expect if things fall off after two years there is one buffer year to find out that happened. If that happens that means most guys fell off the cliff and you are happy if two of those guys hold the massive value you are inferring to(Gomez/Lucroy are an example). Good luck having another quick rebuild like this though. That shouldn’t be considered a norm.

Bottom line they need to draft better. That is the biggest long term concern. We can always replenish a farm trading off the MLB team. Let’s see if we can have a strong farm without killing every useful MLB level asset. Because we got lucky this time having such a short rebuild.

By not working out, I am inferring not winning a championship in two years (Sacrilege, I know, can't believe I'm typing that). Certainly if that's the case, few of those players will have underachieved or suffered injuries. To be honest, that 2015 team had Gomez, Lucroy, and an Injured and untradeable Braun, but still got value from guys like Lind, Segura, and Davis. I like the talent on the current team better.

Peralta is a righty Hader out of Pen

I've heard this from several on this board, and I'd like to know where it comes from. Just because he's small? Because it isn't because he has the same kind of stuff. Hader hits 97 with ease, while Peralta sits at 88-92. Yes, he put up very nice numbers last year, but I just don't understand the hype. To me he's just another in a long line of undersized righties that get hit around once they get up to the upper levels. We'll see if he makes it to Colorado Springs this year.

Reports on him talk of a difficult to pick up on release point which makes his fastball jump on top of batters despite its so so velocity. 92 feels like 98. Haders 95 seems to baffle like its 100+.

The improved Milwaukee team will be drafting in the mid 20s every round if this team is serious on it's talent acquisitions. Remember that when you're saying the draft can continue replenishing our system. Gone are the days of 4mil+ on the first pick and welcome in 2.5mil for it moving forward the 2nd round 1.5mil turns to 1.1mil. The comp pick at least after this season is after the 1st round ~2mil vs. ~800k

And if it does work out, the vast majority of the team is controlled for the next three to five years, which means lots of prospects aren't really needed. And that means three to five years of drafting prospects pretty much knowing when they will be needed to replace the players in the majors.

That's assuming we actually want all of these guys under control for 3-5 years. It was only a year ago when Stearns tried to give Villar $22M to be our controlled 2B for example. Broxton was a budding Mike Cameron. By April 30th, Thames was a legitimate MVP candidate. Junior was our opening day starter.

Times change rapidly in baseball and sports in general. It's not just the Brewers. Look at the Cubs who had a lineup that was the envy of the game in spring of 2017 that is now down to Rizzo and Bryant as the only guys they can truly count on .

I think it's a very safe bet that Yelich will be a good to great player for the next 4-5 years. Ditto Arcia and Hader. Braun obviously won't be. Shaw and Thames are iffy to repeat 2017. The catchers are stop gaps. Cain won't be a star for the life of his deal. I'm assuming Hiura will take over by 2019 and will be one of our key players. I like Knebel a lot but his 2017 was almost impossible to top.

That's why this is a short term plan. We will hope for the best in 18 and 19 and realize that 20 will be whatever the baseball Gods decide.

Archived