Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

One must wonder if Stearns views this offseason as the perfect opportunity for the Brewers to splash into the FA market in ways they typically just cannot do. I am seriously wondering if Yu Darvish(or Arrieta) is still a real big target for the Brewers even after they signed Cain and once they trade Santana for a pitcher. Rarely are the Brewers positioned coming off a 85+ win season, have an incredibly low payroll, and a weak FA market.

As mentioned inflation hints the Brewers could handle a $120mil payroll though one has to remember arbitration will greatly increase payroll in the future. Even then also mentioned is the $50mil payment we get this spring. One thing I don't see talked about very often is our TV deal. As we know teams have been signing some HUGE TV deals. Our deal expires after the 2019 season if memory serves me right. Yes we won't get Dodger money, but we should see a very healthy increase just like every other team in recent years renewing contracts. If Attanasio and Stearns are aware if these factors we could have an offseason for the history books with everything falling into place perfectly.

With the signing of another big free agent and the trade of Santana for MLB ready products Stearns may man the most unbelievable offseason for a small market ever. One can dream big tonight.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note that isn't starting pitcher related I am very intrigued what the Brewers will do at 2B. I thought Castro would have been a phenominal option for the short term, but it seems they passed on the opportunity. I wonder if they plan on doing so much elsewhere they might just roll with Villar confident in a bounce back? Neil Walker? Kipnis?

That might be the biggest offseason question mark getting, for the most part, ignored during the flury of more exciting rumors.

On another note that isn't starting pitcher related I am very intrigued what the Brewers will do at 2B. I thought Castro would have been a phenominal option for the short term, but it seems they passed on the opportunity. I wonder if they plan on doing so much elsewhere they might just roll with Villar confident in a bounce back? Neil Walker? Kipnis?

That might be the biggest offseason question mark getting, for the most part, ignored during the flury of more exciting rumors.

What do you mean? Sogard was the first big free agent signing.

HH any help here?

HighHeat posted over in the Santana thread that Domingo will be dealt to an American League team - possibly as early as Friday.

and that there is a 2nd deal in the works as well...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
HH any help here?

HighHeat posted over in the Santana thread that Domingo will be dealt to an American League team - possibly as early as Friday.

and that there is a 2nd deal in the works as well...

You are correct. I forgot about that.

But now he's going fishing. He's gone until Tuesday. No more tidbits.

I think they really believe Villar will bounce back. He actually did start turning it around at the end of the season. If that fails, Sogard and Dubon until they find someone. Same way they got Walker last year. Not ideal, but workable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Brewers could, theoretically, still add a FA starter and make a trade or a pitcher.

After the Cain signing, I'm not sure they can sign Arrietta or Darvish, but what about Cobb. Add in a quality arm via trade - Salazar or Archer or whomever - and you have a pretty good rotation.

My guess is the second, smaller trade will be a trade for Josh Harrison.

I hope not. The trend has been obtaining high OBP guys and he’s not one of those types. I’d rather us snag Walker and not give up prospects.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I hope not. The trend has been obtaining high OBP guys and he’s not one of those types. I’d rather us snag Walker and not give up prospects.

Yeah especially with middle infielders not getting big money it makes too much sense to not bring back Walker at this point.

This morning I would have rather let it ride with Villar, but given our latest acquisitions I'd prefer the solid proven safe option.

Yeah especially with middle infielders not getting big money it makes too much sense to not bring back Walker at this point.

This morning I would have rather let it ride with Villar, but given our latest acquisitions I'd prefer the solid proven safe option.

Despite how good Walker was for us last year, Harrison was better, both offensively and defensively.

By adding Walker along with Cain and Yelich, you really have cut down the number of strikeouts this team would have in 2018. Would really be some sort of transformation.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My guess is trading one of their 5 catchers for not much of anything. Or getting a mediocre pen guy for a lower level prospect or two. Broxton could still be traded too but I don't think he would refer to that as minor.

Despite how good Walker was for us last year, Harrison was better, both offensively and defensively.

Defensively, probably. How do you figure offensively?

oWAR Walker: 2.1

oWAR Harrison: 2.5

Harrison was a 3.3 WAR player last year, factoring in his superior defense. Walker was 1.5 (Yes, his defense is below replacement level).

Santana for salazar + (hope we get our sell high buy low)

And no plus does not mean mejia. Santana for mejia straight up would make me slap happy.

Broxton perez for 2 lottery tix is the 2nd small hot deal.

Sign walker

Pina vogt

Thames aguilar

Walker Villar

Arcia sogard

Shaw

Yellich Cain Braun Phillips

Anderson salazar davies chacin woodruff

Knebel Hader Jeffress Barnes Logan Williams Suter

Still want one more legit RP. A set up man to keep hader from being locked into a mere set up role.

Harrison was a 3.3 WAR player last year, factoring in his superior defense. Walker was 1.5.

Perfect example of how WAR doesn’t always get it right. Take a look at his stat line as a Brewer and try to explain how he wasn’t the better offensive player. And for career? Walker again better. Harrison is soooo overrated.

In one of HHs posts about the trades, he referred to the second trade as a "hot" smaller trade. I just wonder if that was a little hint for us to figure out. What could "hot" mean ??

Simply took it as... likely to happen soon.

If I got to write the script on the next set of moves it would be to trade Santana to the Indians for Mejia and to sign FA’s Alex Cobb and Neil Walker. Mejia is probably a year away yet, but he could be a really special bat within a few years.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Harrison is not overrated and the key to all our acquisitions this off-season is defensive flexibility. Neil Walker can barely play 2B. Harrison is a beast at all IF positions (minus SS) and can play corner OF. We also only have to commit to one year to him and I promise you we won't be getting rid of any decent prospects on our list to acquire him. Send them Bickford and a life-time supply of synthetic urine.
I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

Harrison was a 3.3 WAR player last year, factoring in his superior defense. Walker was 1.5.

Perfect example of how WAR doesn’t always get it right. Take a look at his stat line as a Brewer and try to explain how he wasn’t the better offensive player. And for career? Walker again better. Harrison is soooo overrated.

I can look at his stat line and say that it was 149 plate appearances. His .409 OBP was well above his second highest OBP in his career .362. And he's two years older than Harrison and not great defensively.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that Harrison will outperform Walker significantly in 2018 when defense is factored in.

Don't get me wrong- I like Walker and loved having him here. But though the regime's moves today showed they value OBP and contact, they also showed that they value defense as well, and Walker's liability there can't be ignored.

Archived