Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

Man, this is all very exciting. If I’m Stearns, I’m doing a deal like this for sure with one caveat. I’m keeping Phillips and TB would need a different ask. Phillips is thee perfect 4th OF this club will need during the season, especially with Braun’s health. Add in that Phillips may be the heart of the clubhouse. I’m not removing the heart

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - Burnes, Peralta, Santana, Phillips for Archer? That's just way too much! I know it's looked down upon here to cite ERA numbers, but homers and hard contact numbers for Archer aren't very good either, and he'll likely give up more homers in Miller Park. So I say, at that price, just walk away. Or maybe swap out Woodruff for Burnes, Broxton (plus Hernan or Aguilar?) for Phillips, Ponce or Diplan for Peralta.

So: Santana, Woodruff, Broxton, Hernan/Aguilar, Ponce. That' still a pretty good haul. But much less painful.

If Tampa is really demanding Burnes, Peralta, Santana and Phillips, I'd prefer just doing Santana for Salazar or Clevenger. I don't think Archer is so much better that he's worth an additional Peralta, Phillips, and Burnes. No way.

BTW HighHeat - You had mentioned a Trade A with an AL team getting nixed over salary issues, i.e. how much the Crew would pick up. This led a lot of people to speculate about the Yanks/Ellsbury. But, if you can share this, do you think (as others have speculated) that the trade that fell apart was with Cleveland, maybe for Salazar and Kipnis, and the two sides disagreed over how much of Kipnis's salary they would take on?

Wow - Burnes, Peralta, Santana, Phillips for Archer? That's just way too much! I know it's looked down upon here to cite ERA numbers, but homers and hard contact numbers for Archer aren't very good either, and he'll likely give up more homers in Miller Park. So I say, at that price, just walk away. Or maybe swap out Woodruff for Burnes, Broxton (plus Hernan or Aguilar?) for Phillips, Ponce or Diplan for Peralta.

So: Santana, Woodruff, Broxton, Hernan/Aguilar, Ponce. That' still a pretty good haul. But much less painful.

If Tampa is really demanding Burnes, Peralta, Santana and Phillips, I'd prefer just doing Santana for Salazar or Clevenger. I don't think Archer is so much better that he's worth an additional Peralta, Phillips, and Burnes. No way.

Put it this way... if you put together a trade package for archer where you step back and think, "that doesnt hurt so much..." it's not going to be enough. Broxton, aguilar, perez and ponce dont tip the scales

Put it this way... if you put together a trade package for archer where you step back and think, "that doesnt hurt so much..." it's not going to be enough. Broxton, aguilar, perez and ponce dont tip the scales

Maybe so. And if so, I say, time to walk away. Getting a good SP needn't cost that much.

The Rays are not going to want quantity over quality for Archer, so you people tossing out spare parts deals like Broxton, Aguilar, Perez, Villar and other lower-level minor leaguers for Archer are way, way off. If he is acquired, it's going to sting. Last night I speculated Santana, Burnes and Peralta for Archer, and I think that's going to be close to what it ends up being. The Brewers may throw in another high-upside lower-level minor leaguer like Lutz, but I highly, highly doubt its going to be Phillips. I think Stearns LOVES Phillips, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was the name holding up this deal. He profiles as a potential gold glove RF, and when grouped with Cain and Yelich, gives the team what is most likely the best defensive outfield in their history. Plus he is only 23 years old, and still maturing as a hitter. With the defensive improvements they made in Yelich and Cain, it makes no sense to trot Santana or Braun out to RF every day. I think Phillips is the odds-on favorite to be a near every-day RF, and I highly doubt he's on the trading block.

Of course, stranger things have happened.

By 2020 nobody is gonna care about losing Santana, Phillips & Burnes...

That is how I feel as well.

Money. I would be far more willing to be a prospect hugger if the players we were talking about had anything more than 50/50 shot at being an all-star but I'm not sure any of the players being mentioned in that group have even a 50/50 shot. If they come out of all of this still holding Hiura, Lutz, Ortiz and Woodruff, that would be an amazing job by Stearns.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Man, I don't know if Phillips should be moved. Based on Braun (and Cain to some extent)'s injury history, a quality 4th OF is likely to be needed for reasonably significant playing time along the way. Yes, Broxton could stay and be that guy instead, but man, that seems painful. I'd do Santana/Peralta/Burnes + another bat, though, I think.

you people

giphy.gif

Happy Friday everybody! Hopefully we will be stealing some Super Bowl headlines soon.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Man, I don't know if Phillips should be moved. Based on Braun (and Cain to some extent)'s injury history, a quality 4th OF is likely to be needed for reasonably significant playing time along the way. Yes, Broxton could stay and be that guy instead, but man, that seems painful. I'd do Santana/Peralta/Burnes + another bat, though, I think.

Crazy thought, but if both Phillips and Santana are sent out via trade, what about an economical deal with John Jay or even, *gasp*, a Carlos Gomez reunion? Gomez is still strong defensively, and could play all three positions.

I'd be very concerned about giving up Hiura for Archer

Especially since we already got rid of Isan Diaz... I assumed that once Diaz was gone, Hiura would not be going anyplace.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe so. And if so, I say, time to walk away. Getting a good SP needn't cost that much.

Apparently it does need to cost that much. If they could get the equivalent or better of Archer for that package, it would have been done.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

My guess on the Archer deal based on what High Heat has said as well as other rumors is that it will be Santana + Burnes + either Woodruff or Ortiz

A tough price to pay but we'd have Archer for 4 years....getting him out of the AL East will improve his numbers

Archer for 4 years doesn't seem to be enough in my eyes. That is a major haul, we trade all those pieces, where are we in a couple years with no arms on the farm ready to step in.

This is all pretty risky, and compounded by the fact I am not high on Archer at all, this worries me.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The price that is being talked about is steep. I would prefer to find a way to do it without Phillips involved. I am intrigued though. Add Archer and a FA to our rotation and this could be a very interesting year. As pointed out earlier, all of these additions would be locked up for a while and I trust Stearns to be able to replenish.

For Archer - Santana’s in, because he should be - I think two pitching prospects make sense for Tampa, and Woodruff is actually a great choice because he can start the season in their rotation.

I think they can be moved off of Phillips, I’ll suggest Gatewood or Grisham, but then I think it comes down to Burnes.

Santana, Woodruff, Gatewood and Burnes is my guess, if this one happens at all.

I am definitely down with Santana and Burnes plus another prospect. Santana Burnes, Peralta and Philips is more than I feel really comfortable with. If the Brewers do it I will be a huge Archer guy. I just think Philips is a big help to the team this year. Losing him would hurt our depth and take away the guy who can cheaply replace Braun in the future.

That is a major haul, we trade all those pieces, where are we in a couple years with no arms on the farm ready to step in.

You continue to develop the pitchers you have. Woodruff and Bubba Derby are still around. Ortiz is still very highly thought of. In a couple years, pitchers like Diplan, Supak, Ponce, Pennington, Webb, Zach Brown, Drake Owenby, Jon Perrin and Herrera should be in the upper levels. Not to mention the highly talented guys who have fallen because of injury or other reasons, such as Nate Kirby, Phil Bickford, Taylor Williams, Kodi Medeiros and Adrian Houser. Then there's the young kids like Caden Lemons, Brendan Murphy, Bowden Francis, Jayson Rose, Alec Bettinger and Max Lazar.

Basically, you need to hit on 3-4 of those guys to continue to have strong pitching prospects at the minor league level. The pitching cupboard is FAR from bare.

Simply put, if your going to hold onto 3 quarters, they HAVE to turn into a dollar down the road. Otherwise you would be a fool for not taking the full dollar in the first place.

Well put. I understand being tight with prospects during the early phases of rebuilding, but once the window is there and it's time to contend, then you need to be willing to part with prospects in return for proven talent.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

That is a major haul, we trade all those pieces, where are we in a couple years with no arms on the farm ready to step in.

You continue to develop the pitchers you have. Woodruff and Bubba Derby are still around. Ortiz is still very highly thought of. In a couple years, pitchers like Diplan, Supak, Ponce, Pennington, Webb, Zach Brown, Drake Owenby, Jon Perrin and Herrera should be in the upper levels. Not to mention the highly talented guys who have fallen because of injury or other reasons, such as Nate Kirby, Phil Bickford, Taylor Williams, Kodi Medeiros and Adrian Houser. Then there's the young kids like Caden Lemons, Brendan Murphy, Bowden Francis, Jayson Rose, Alec Bettinger and Max Lazar.

Basically, you need to hit on 3-4 of those guys to continue to have strong pitching prospects at the minor league level. The pitching cupboard is FAR from bare.

You aren't wrong but you have to admit it'd be very very unlikely we promote anyone to the MLB rotation off that list in the next 2-3 years. Williams Houser heck Bickford could hit the pen sooner than later but the kids have a ways to go.

Lets say its Santana Burnes Peralta Aguilar Gatewood and Ponce for archer. We push them off phillips.

Any chance ray ortiz dubon go to KC for Whit Merrifield?

Lots of lotto ticket arms left. Huira Lutz Erceg. 1 starter spot opens in 4 years, as Chacin and Nelson leave after 2 yrs 3yrs respectively. That's for woodruff or hader. 1b opens for shaw after 3 years, 3b opens for erceg. 2b opens when Huira is ready and whit gets his 2 or 3 arby years dealt out. Phillips gets RF. HH said FO is really high on him. Braun splits time in LF and 1b.

Teams highly intact for 4 years. 4 years to retool the farm through the draft and int signings? 4 years to develop what we'd have left? If after 4 years its not there, you burn it down and rebuild again.

It's kind of Marlin like... but they've got 2 WS.

All ALL in?

Ok, so we trade away Ortiz/Burnes. That leaves us with a Woodruff who definitely is a starting MLB pitcher. Archer/Darvish/Nelson/Anderson are all highly controllable. Who don’t need to be replaced for years. So yes the minors might be thin, but we also won’t need them that badly.

We need to draft well. We have a controllable core, but we need to develope talent and draft it. If not this will be a window.

I agree with everyone saying that Phillips is not an option to trade away. He is the PERFECT 4th (3.5th?) outfielder for this team, and was really good last September once he got settled in - .308/.390/.462/.851 with great defense. Granted that was with an unsustainable BABIP of .438

If we are planning to compete immediately, trading Phillips just doesn't make sense. It's not that he's an untouchable talent, but even with our newfound surplus of MLB outfielders I'm not eager to give up two of them. Suddenly we have Braun as our 3rd OF and Broxton as our 4th, meaning lots of AB's for Keon. I'm still holding onto a sliver of hope that Keon puts it all together, and if he does watch out...but I'm not banking on it.

I hate the idea of trading away Burnes or Peralta, but I get it. For me though, if we are trading Santana then Phillips is staying.

I am not Shea Vucinich

For Archer - Santana’s in, because he should be - I think two pitching prospects make sense for Tampa, and Woodruff is actually a great choice because he can start the season in their rotation.

I think they can be moved off of Phillips, I’ll suggest Gatewood or Grisham, but then I think it comes down to Burnes.

Santana, Woodruff, Gatewood and Burnes is my guess, if this one happens at all.

I really don't want to lose burnes. I agree they should be able to be moved off Phillips, especially given their current outfield situation and acquiring Santana. I think we need to also move them off burnes and offer peralta or Ortiz in his stead. Maybe add a bullpen arm or a Pennington to sweeten the pot if needed.

Archived