Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

If this team pulls off two top arms it be unreal start to the season.

If they get a free agent, it's almost a guarantee that the 2nd arm is going to come via trade. Which is going to be expensive prospect-wise, likely costing at least one of our top young arms, if not multiple. You said a couple days ago you were against doing that for Archer. Are you for or against a trade, because you are kind of "candle in the wind"-ing it right now.

If we sign a FA, teams trying to dump a high end starter lose some leverage...as we don't have as much of a glaring need. Santana could be traded for prospects or a high end reliever instead of a high end starter...or not at all of course.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could have been. That was more than a decade ago. Unfortunately the legend has faded with time.

Has it tho?

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6641

Nearly 15 years! Man that is brutal.

I do wonder if that original poster is now here again under a new name. The spelling and punctuation fits the bill of several posts around here.

Could have been. That was more than a decade ago. Unfortunately the legend has faded with time.

Has it tho?

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6641

Nearly 15 years! Man that is brutal.

I do wonder if that original poster is now here again under a new name. The spelling and punctuation fits the bill of several posts around here.

15 years...man. Great times guys! Let’s appreciate the site for all the intelligent and amazing Brewer talk.

BTW, meeting was on Darvish direction. Don't know anymore or less.

Interesting. Almost has to be a 'do we bump up our offer or move on to the next guy'-type decision.

Reports out there seem to suggest that no one other than maybe Minnesota will add the 5th year.... maybe that's the debate?

My personal guess is that Archer will be a Brewer and Darvish will not. It stems from what I know and what some don't know.

If it is Archer & Arrieta I'd be thrilled. Question: do you think Burnes will still be in the Brewers organization in March?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

A lot of this conversation here comes back to wanting to keep a specific arm or a number of arms. Let's say it takes a combination of two of these arms to get a TOR pitcher back. Each team in the league rates the arms differently, but I'd guess its Ortiz / Burnes on top of the list with Woodruff next and Peralta last. The combination of Ortiz and Burnes would get a better TOR arm back. We see different roles, floors and ceilings for each of the below arms.

Which two do you trade and why? Which arms do you want to keep to still make this pending TOR trade happen? I'd be fine giving any of the two arms up, as long as we get an actual TOR pitcher back.

Ortiz

Burnes

Peralta

Woodruff

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I will add this about the Brewers initial proposal for Archer.

The Rays were not sold on Brinson as a centerpiece (as stated earlier, they didn't trust his hit tool).

The Rays have asked for a top prospect for Archer as a centerpiece. Meaning a guy who they feel has all-star potential. They were not looking for a package of good prospects - but a package built around a great one.

Brinson would have worked - but they just weren't enamored with him.

As a veteran, Santana does not fit the bill. And the quality of Brewer prospects isn't that high. For that reason, a trade with the Brewers doesn't match up that well.

Of course, things can change. That info was from weeks ago.

Perhaps once no one offers up that top end prospect they'll be content to take a different package. However, Tampa can afford to wait if they want. Archer will still have tremendous trade value up to the deadline (heck, even next off season). The risk is if Archer gets hurt or his performance seriously declines. But for now, they can wait. They can see how the season progresses - and if they are in the playoff race, they can keep him. If not, they can revisit the trade market.

Personally, I'd love to have Archer. But I'm not sure we have what Tampa wants at this time.

I'd be hoping we give up Peralta and Ortiz if we got to pick two. I'm still not sold on Ortiz and I'm pretty sure Peralta is a RP even though that is still valuable. On the bright side, if we get Archer, Woodruff wouldn't be completely necessary.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

A lot of this conversation here comes back to wanting to keep a specific arm or a number of arms. Let's say it takes a combination of two of these arms to get a TOR pitcher back. Each team in the league rates the arms differently, but I'd guess its Ortiz / Burnes on top of the list with Woodruff next and Peralta last. The combination of Ortiz and Burnes would get a better TOR arm back. We see different roles, floors and ceilings for each of the below arms.

Which two do you trade and why? Which arms do you want to keep to still make this pending TOR trade happen? I'd be fine giving any of the two arms up, as long as we get an actual TOR pitcher back.

Ortiz

Burnes

Peralta

Woodruff

i think Burnes and Woodruff are the only ones that can get it done... Peralta isn't far removed from somewhat of a lottery and ortiz didn't impress enough last season... mind you if indeed two pitchers will be added to our rotation, Woody is kinda the odd man out.

My heart says Ortiz and Burnes...

My gut says Burnes and Woody.

My personal guess is that Archer will be a Brewer and Darvish will not. It stems from what I know and what some don't know.

If it is Archer & Arrieta I'd be thrilled. Question: do you think Burnes will still be in the Brewers organization in March?

If we got Archer. No.

Archived