Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My question if the brewers don't get Yu do they make another offer to the next FA pitcher ? And will they look to make a trade ? Any thought HH

Brewer's have a decisive plan in place. What people don't realize is the Brewer's have "partial acceptance" trades in a holding pen. (Every team has this) They can act on them whenever they want. In most cases the offer is not ideal. If it was they would act obviously. They can revisit them at any time with the opposing team. However, the trade offer from the opposing team may change literally within an hour. It's not fantasy baseball were you offer a trade and you just wait for it to get accepted. For instance Brewer's offer goes into holding pen. Opposing team may accept Brewer's offer. Offer DOES NOT GO THRU UNTIL BREWER APPROVE FROM THE HOLDING PEN. This allows an offer to be sent but allows the team to work on something else with the same player in the other offer. As you can see this allows a team to take different directions at one time with the one player. The trouble is, the trade can take different directions. A trade maybe accepted, but when the offering team is weighing it's best options, a day later the accepting team can differ because they have a presumed better offer with a different team or just changed their mind.

Yu is the holdup in regards to pitching acquisitions in general for all MLB teams. When Yu goes, chips will start to fall, but not that fast and here's why. No one is going to spend their $ on Cobb for example when it could of went to Yu.But you don't know that until YU is off the board. Also, the longer the lesser FA pitchers (Cobb, Lynn, etc) hang out to dry, the more their price goes down. GM's know this. So there maybe a collusion of philosophy amongst GM's even though there is not a true collusion of GM's with verbal or written agreement of each other like some want to believe.

Do you think Yu could be holding up the position player side as well? Do you think the dominoes start falling on Monday when Yu finally decides? That's kinda what I'm expecting. And do you know how seriously the brewers remain involved on Yu?

My question if the brewers don't get Yu do they make another offer to the next FA pitcher ? And will they look to make a trade ? Any thought HH

Brewer's have a decisive plan in place. What people don't realize is the Brewer's have "partial acceptance" trades in a holding pen. (Every team has this) They can act on them whenever they want. In most cases the offer is not ideal. If it was they would act obviously. They can revisit them at any time with the opposing team. However, the trade offer from the opposing team may change literally within an hour. It's not fantasy baseball were you offer a trade and you just wait for it to get accepted. For instance Brewer's offer goes into holding pen. Opposing team may accept Brewer's offer. Offer DOES NOT GO THRU UNTIL BREWER APPROVE FROM THE HOLDING PEN. This allows an offer to be sent but allows the team to work on something else with the same player in the other offer. As you can see this allows a team to take different directions at one time with the one player. The trouble is, the trade can take different directions. A trade maybe accepted, but when the offering team is weighing it's best options, a day later the accepting team can differ because they have a presumed better offer with a different team or just changed their mind.

Yu is the holdup in regards to pitching acquisitions in general for all MLB teams. When Yu goes, chips will start to fall, but not that fast and here's why. No one is going to spend their $ on Cobb for example when it could of went to Yu.But you don't know that until YU is off the board. Also, the longer the lesser FA pitchers (Cobb, Lynn, etc) hang out to dry, the more their price goes down. GM's know this. So there maybe a collusion of philosophy amongst GM's even though there is not a true collusion of GM's with verbal or written agreement of each other like some want to believe.

Thank you for all the info. Based on what you know, do you think that they will end up adding a TOR when all is said and done?

Do you think Yu could be holding up the position player side as well? Do you think the dominoes start falling on Monday when Yu finally decides? That's kinda what I'm expecting. And do you know how seriously the brewers remain involved on Yu?

My opinion is possibly yes. For instance a team like the Twins may want JD Martinez and Yu. But YU is rated higher. Your going to naturally save your penny's for #1 and not #2. It's the reason Auctions start with higher valued items first, otherwise people would offer Penny's on everything ahead of the big items.

Also, if your in competition for JD Martinez with 2 more teams and 1 of the 3 teams gets Darvish. This handicaps a team financially decreasing supply and demand for JD, in turn decreasing the cost for JD Martinez.

Brewer's have a decisive plan in place. What people don't realize is the Brewer's have "partial acceptance" trades in a holding pen. (Every team has this) They can act on them whenever they want. In most cases the offer is not ideal. If it was they would act obviously. They can revisit them at any time with the opposing team. However, the trade offer from the opposing team may change literally within an hour. It's not fantasy baseball were you offer a trade and you just wait for it to get accepted. For instance Brewer's offer goes into holding pen. Opposing team may accept Brewer's offer. Offer DOES NOT GO THRU UNTIL BREWER APPROVE FROM THE HOLDING PEN. This allows an offer to be sent but allows the team to work on something else with the same player in another offer. As you can see this allows a team to take different directions at one time with the one player. The trouble is, the trade can take different directions. A trade maybe accepted, but when the offering team is weighing it's best options, a day later the accepting team can differ because they have a presumed better offer with a different team or just changed their mind. The reasons trades are so fluid and dynamic. 1 player can be involved in many different offers at 1 time.

Great post! To add to others, don’t sweat the negative post.... it’s like coaching & teaching... I’ll never please every student, parent, fan.... so may hate me & talk negatively about me to both me or others. Just got to block it out & do your thing. People on here appreciate you on here. Once’s who don’t have made up there mind already. Pay no attention.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

So people still listen to what this HighHeat dude says? LOL.

Look, anyone can speculate like he does....and let me be clear....that's all he does. Otherwise what happened to the AL team we were going to make a trade with like 2 weeks ago? Exactly

I don't expect us to trade for Archer, but Odorizzi seems like he could be dealt for. I also do not think he would cost us even half what Archer would. I think we would have made a trade by now, but I think the Brewers are waiting to see whether we get Darvish or not. If we get Darvish somehow, I think that's the last big move of the offseason, but if we sign lets say Cobb, I can see the trade happening as well

3 posts and so darn bold.

Example. Last draft season I was adiment that mahomes was the best qb in the draft. Adiment. All sorts of reporters speculating where he would go. I flatly stated top 13 lock. Wasn't their opinion. I stated it as if it were fact. I also said the coaches you need to watch out for are Payton, Areans and if he some how some way can find a path in from the late 1st Reid. Reid must be drooling over him because with Maholmes Reid will tear the league a new tail.

Speculation... espn, si, not on it. I had no source. It was speculation. Listening to nfl network stammer over who kc could have possinly moved in for was fun. Kc logo popped up and my phone exploded.

I say this to say. Sourced up maybe. Yes everyone can speculate... but even if all he has is speculation... he's put it out there... he's stood by it... he's done it WELL. Everyone can't speculate well. He's PROVEN he's worth reading.

I love your post btw. It's what a guy who wants a speculation me too participation ribbon says right before Darvish and Archer find homes in MKE. Keep hating, and keep spouting off. It's fun to watch those guys come up dead wrong and the world has a way of making it so.

If they can get Darvish they are more likely to go for the kill and get Archer. Nice take though. :-)

A big reason the market gets held up by a Yu Darvish is because teams don't want to be out of the bidding thus dropping the price for other teams. For example the Cubs may be fine moving on from Darvish and just getting Arrieta/Cobb. Except that could allow the Brewers to get Darvish easier or allow us to get him at a lower price. Because if the Cubs signed someone else we would know they aren't interested in Darvish. At the very least they want to pretend to be in the bidding to drive up the price for us.

We may not even think we have a chance at Darvish. Maybe we want to keep the price high for the Cubs etc. and we are going to sign someone else, but don't want to do it before Darvish eventually decides.

A big reason the market gets held up by a Yu Darvish is because teams don't want to be out of the bidding thus dropping the price for other teams. For example the Cubs may be fine moving on from Darvish and just getting Arrieta/Cobb. Except that could allow the Brewers to get Darvish easier or allow us to get him at a lower price. Because if the Cubs signed someone else we would know they aren't interested in Darvish. At the very least they want to pretend to be in the bidding to drive up the price for us.

We may not even think we have a chance at Darvish. Maybe we want to keep the price high for the Cubs etc. and we are going to sign someone else, but don't want to do it before Darvish eventually decides.

I thought the exact same thing to be honest, especially with division rivals involved. I would bet at least one of the Brewers/Cubs is holding their bid in place to keep the other teams bid up. I honestly think things will move like lightning once Darvish decides. It will be like that run on relievers, but with $50-120 million contracts. There are probably 9 or 10 contracts like that waiting to be doled out yet outside of Darvish.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Our pitching WOAH's R SOLVDD
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If this team pulls off two top arms it be unreal start to the season.

If they get a free agent, it's almost a guarantee that the 2nd arm is going to come via trade. Which is going to be expensive prospect-wise, likely costing at least one of our top young arms, if not multiple. You said a couple days ago you were against doing that for Archer. Are you for or against a trade, because you are kind of "candle in the wind"-ing it right now.

If this team pulls off two top arms it be unreal start to the season.

If they get a free agent, it's almost a guarantee that the 2nd arm is going to come via trade. Which is going to be expensive prospect-wise, likely costing at least one of our top young arms, if not multiple. You said a couple days ago you were against doing that for Archer. Are you for or against a trade, because you are kind of "candle in the wind"-ing it right now.

I think Archer will cost too much but if you go that deep for Yu or even Arrieta, well you might as well go all the way. There are no safeguards at that point. You are all in.

Archived