Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

Meeting is to discuss do we really want to trade away a huge chunk of our top prospects for a solid starting pitcher?

As I take a step back for all this, that's a question I'm starting to ask. Am I a "prospect hugger?" You bet. Baseball, when all is said and done, is entertainment. And I really enjoy following our guys in the system, new guys added to the system, etc. We debate, argue, and discuss these guys and I love seeing how they actually turn out when they graduate to Miller Park.

That said, yes it's still about winning. But I have a hard time accepting how quickly we're trading away (or trying to) everyone in a couple weeks when it's taken years to build up the farm to where it is today.

I fit more in the build the farm system at all costs rather than what we are doing now simply because it's the most likely way to build a long term quality organization as a very small market team.

What the Brewers are trying to do now by going all in is to win in 2018 and 2019 but they know that after that will be a nightmare.

If they win the WS it will be definitely be the right call. If they are just a wild card team who can't go up against the big boys in October than obviously it will not.

They are obviously not done so the roster will look a bit different by the time camp opens up.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meeting is to discuss whether a bunch of us from Brewerfan.net can be appointed to "Deputy GM" status.

Matt Arnold was all for it, but Stearns said no....

On a serious note, being a great GM is similar to being a great chess player, you are always thinking 5 moves ahead. I would bet Stearns was planning on going after Cain 12-18 months ago....

They probably have much to discuss based on which free agent signs where and how the dominos fall

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Meeting is to discuss whether a bunch of us from Brewerfan.net can be appointed to "Deputy GM" status.

Matt Arnold was all for it, but Stearns said no....

On a serious note, being a great GM is similar to being a great chess player, you are always thinking 5 moves ahead. I would bet Stearns was planning on going after Cain 12-18 months ago....

They probably have much to discuss based on which free agent signs where and how the dominos fall

Thinking that way, they probably know there's no chance we'll be able to compete in next years free agent market. Luxury tax will be meaningless for any teams capable of going over it.

Re 2019: after the big boys sign up Kershaw, Keuchel, Harper, Machado, Familia, Kimbrel, Donaldson, LeMahieu, Blackmon, Britton etc we might be in a position to sign a "lesser" free agent like a Jurickson Profar or Nathan Eovaldi, but.... Yeah, I mean the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers can't sign all of them
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Re 2019: after the big boys sign up Kershaw, Keuchel, Harper, Machado, Familia, Kimbrel, Donaldson, LeMahieu, Blackmon, Britton etc we might be in a position to sign a "lesser" free agent like a Jurickson Profar or Nathan Eovaldi, but.... Yeah, I mean the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers can't sign all of them

The Giants, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Tigers, Rangers, Orioles, Padres, and Phillies are some teams that could get seriously involved in the bidding on at least some of the big guys. I honestly wouldn't doubt seeing close to 2 billion worth of contracts signed next offseason. Heck Harper/Kershaw/Machado might get 1 billion on their own.

@BrewerWorld

Quiet optimism from my Brewers sources this AM on a couple potential moves in the works.

This was posted at 11:35am this morning. I've heard others say it's not a credible source but haven't this account been on the money for some of the deals being made?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

@BrewerWorld

Quiet optimism from my Brewers sources this AM on a couple potential moves in the works.

This was posted at 11:35am this morning. I've heard others say it's not a credible source but haven't this account been on the money for some of the deals being made?

Yeah, some here have said its a bogus account, but he nailed the Yelich deal a week before it was announced, and I think he got Cain as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Harper/Kershaw/Machado might get 1 billion on their own.

Just the fact that that is possible is just bananas.

Wilkommen!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Where's HH19? Can you weigh in from your source? Gotta be some nuggets today. Smoldering stove.

HH has said there's a big meeting scheduled for sometime today, nothing else. I get the idea we won't see much activity until the end of the weekend at the earliest, or until Darvish signs. He's really holding up the show.

The Giants, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Tigers, Rangers, Orioles, Padres, and Phillies are some teams that could get seriously involved in the bidding on at least some of the big guys. I honestly wouldn't doubt seeing close to 2 billion worth of contracts signed next offseason. Heck Harper/Kershaw/Machado might get 1 billion on their own.

The more the best free agents get spread out among a lot of different teams, the better it is for the Brewers.... Because these next 3-4 years are our window to reach for the ring. You look at the offense the Yankees are putting together and then if they sign Kershaw & Keuchel? How do you compete with that?

Stearns is well aware of all of this, on a level none of us can fathom. All the more reason to make a huge push at signing Darvish or Arrieta in the next few days. It isn't just about 2018, it is about the aftermath of next winter's free agent gold rush, too.

I'm the guy on this board that always does this but I'm floored that every time a guy that I'd have a hard time starting or having in the majors on many other teams is mentioned in that other group.

Anyway, carry on.

The more the best free agents get spread out among a lot of different teams, the better it is for the Brewers.... Because these next 3-4 years are our window to reach for the ring. You look at the offense the Yankees are putting together and then if they sign Kershaw & Keuchel? How do you compete with that?

Stearns is well aware of all of this, on a level none of us can fathom. All the more reason to make a huge push at signing Darvish or Arrieta in the next few days. It isn't just about 2018, it is about the aftermath of next winter's free agent gold rush, too.

I don't think the Yankees are just going to get those guys. It isn't like in the 90s when they could sign whoever they wanted. The bidding is going to be tremendous, I also see players signing much earlier than this offseason. I think teams will be way more aggressive but there will only be so much money to go around. There could still be some super teams created though, players have shown they'll take discounts to be on good teams.

@BrewerWorld

Yeah, some here have said its a bogus account, but he nailed the Yelich deal a week before it was announced, and I think he got Cain as well.

Yeah, that is what I have seen as well. I know this account makes goofy posts a lot of the time but it does seem to be correct quite a bit when big things are occurring.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would love to see us go the Arrieta/Salazar option... Didnt HH say the other day, we had a deal on the table with Cleveland?

Arrieta

Anderson

Salazar

Davies

Chacin

We figure out what to do when Jimmy comes back at that point.

That is a competing rotation!

Yeah, that is what I have seen as well. I know this account makes goofy posts a lot of the time but it does seem to be correct quite a bit when big things are occurring.

This guy claims the Brewers don't expect to sign a FA, SP acquisition will be via trade. We'll see, signing a FA now would void any credibility he has.

Well, he also just posted that according to his source, the team isn't expected to make a big free agent pitching acquisition. That would fall in stark contrast to a bunch of other sources, so we'll see.

But if they are looking to firm up the rotation via trade for one or two starters, the farm system is going to take a serious hit.

Brewer world is a parody account of brewernation. He posts every rumor he reads on twitter and here. Then retweets the ones that happen right when they happen. You could do the exact same. You would also look like a genie to people who aren’t constantly on twitter.

Well, he also just posted that according to his source, the team isn't expected to make a big free agent pitching acquisition. That would fall in stark contrast to a bunch of other sources, so we'll see.

But if they are looking to firm up the rotation via trade for one or two starters, the farm system is going to take a serious hit.

Yeah, no FA signing would be a contrast to about every other report.

What if Broxton was traded for Corbin and Santana for Salazar in straight up deals? Would that move the needle for people? Just taking a couple of well discussed proposals already but that would keep the payroll still flexible and keep remaining prospects.

Salazar

Anderson

Corbin

Davies

Chacin

With Nelson returning at some point and Woodfuff in case of an injury or ineffectiveness.

If we can't land Darvish, which if we're being honest was/is probably like a 2% chance, then I like Corbin as much as Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb.

To be honest, I'm getting sick of the Darvish show... I thought we might be in the running even recently, but the longer it takes, the more it seems that one of the big markets is going to get him.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't think Lynn moves the needle tremendously, and while I love Cobb's talent, I don't trust his durability. Corbin is just a one year thing.

The "Big 3" to me are Darvish, Arrieta, and Archer. One of those 3 becoming a Brewer makes the Cubs start to sweat a bit....

The longer we last in the running the more likely it is actually. The big markets should have crushed us by now, but instead they haven’t. The fact we have been talking aggressively with Darvish for weeks is a really good sign. If they were just going to discard our chances, they would have done it quickly after our original offer. This tells me we have a legitimate chance at this point.

I don't know if someone like Darvish or Arrieta has any idea how much they'd be loved in Wisconsin if they signed with the Brewers. It'd be similar to when

Reggie White signed with the Packers. They'd be treated like Gods, especially if the Brewers won their first World Series with them....I know the dollar comes first, but a top pitcher signing with the Brewers could put them on a rock star level of fandom. This is the right place at the right time, get on board the train is about to leave the station!

Archived