Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

Brewer's are in "very small talk" with a NL team not named the Diamondbacks in regards to acquiring a pitcher. Nothing imminent.

Mets or Braves would be my guess.

Seth Lugo or Brandon McCarthy if Braves kick in some money.

Those guys aren't high end starters. Teheran if it's the Braves(who were in on Yelich fwiw). Maybe Nola from the Phillies, but I doubt it considering Santana doesn't fit there and the Phillies are ramping up to contention probably as soon as this year. I don't see the Mets punting and giving up any of their pitching, so no Degrom. Could it be Taillon? Straily? Somebody on the Dodgers to clear a spot for them to get Darvish(probably wood or hill in this unlikely event)?

If it's a reliever, maybe Iglesias? Hand? Barraclaugh? Iglesias would cost a fortune, but imagine him, Knebel, Hader on the back end? That's a filthy 3 headed relief monster.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer's are in "very small talk" with a NL team not named the Diamondbacks in regards to acquiring a pitcher. Nothing imminent.

Let the speculation begin ...

Can you say whether said pitcher is a starter or a reliever? If reliever, I'm going with Brad Hand. Starter? Umm, I dunno. Teheran or Matt Harvey? If so, blah.

Relief. Follow tea leaves. Very small talk does not acquire an impact starter or 2. If that's their goal, there's zero need for a starter.

Adding 2 impact arms... oy, bye bye farm and Santana. If we leave with Burnes Peralta Phillips Huira Lutz Erceg I'll be happy enough I guess. Woodruff Ray Ortiz Dubon nice knowing ya.

Can you say whether said pitcher is a starter or a reliever? If reliever, I'm going with Brad Hand. Starter? Umm, I dunno. Teheran or Matt Harvey? If so, blah.

Brad Hand is gonna cost A TON.

Relief. Follow tea leaves. Very small talk does not acquire an impact starter or 2. If that's their goal, there's zero need for a starter.

Adding 2 impact arms... oy, bye bye farm and Santana. If we leave with Burnes Peralta Phillips Huira Lutz Erceg I'll be happy enough I guess. Woodruff Ray Ortiz Dubon nice knowing ya.

I'm only comfortable including Woodruff in a trade for a high end rotation piece IF we also sign one of the big 4 SP. Say Darvish/Arrieta, Archer, Anderson, Davies, Chacin...with Burnes/Nelson as 2nd half depth and guys like Suter/Wilkerson/Guerra/Gallardo as early SP depth if it's needed. It would be a big problem to need that depth early on though.

Teheran or Matt Harvey? If so, blah.

Depends on which Teheran you'd end up getting- the one that was fantastic for three years or the one that was just ok for 2 (including 2017). He's intriguing to me- only 27 and two years of control + an option. Might be a decent attempt to 'buy low' after last year and hoping he can revert to being a 3-4 WAR guy like he was in the past.

Keep in mind, if they're trying to acquire two pitchers, this is likely to be the lesser of the two deals based on how HH framed it. I think the team will try for a big splash via FA or trade, and acquire a lesser type in a second deal. A lesser type doesn't have to mean 'blah,' it could be less exciting but still improve the team. Corbin (I know he's been excluded in this rumor) or Teheren could fit that bill, slotting in as the 3/4 and pushing everyone else down, making the rotation more solid.

Yep: https://bosoxinjection.com/2017/11/03/red-sox-2018-payroll-update/

Heck, if the Dodgers are worried about it, the Red Sox are.

I wonder what kind of prospects we could get if we take some Sandoval's money off the books and give them Santana. Would they give up Groome and Chavis? This would give us another arm and some insurance in case Shaw regresses or gets traded for an arm during the "window".

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Yep: https://bosoxinjection.com/2017/11/03/red-sox-2018-payroll-update/

Heck, if the Dodgers are worried about it, the Red Sox are.

I wonder what kind of prospects we could get if we take some Sandoval's money off the books and give them Santana. Would they give up Groome and Chavis? This would give us another arm and some insurance in case Shaw regresses or gets traded for an arm during the "window".

Wasn’t Sandoval back on the Giants last year?

Yeah, but the article linked says Boston are on the hook for the $18 mil this year.

I am not sure if you can trade contracts once you have released a player. That might just be dead money for the Red Sox at this point and time.

Brewer's are "DEAD SET" on acquiring a higher end pitcher to add to the rotation by opening day. (Sort of Obvious)

Brewer's want to have 2 higher end pitchers if circumstances allow. 1 expensive and 1 on the cheap. The cheap would have to come via trade for obvious reasons. If not by opening day, the second could come at the trade deadline.

Gallardo's plan is to be in the bullpen and make spot starts as needed.

This stuck out to me. If the Brewers acquire Arrieta and Archer, the rotation then is Arrieta, Archer, Anderson, Davies, Chacin with Nelson coming. Who is missing? I doubt the Brewers signed Chacin to be in the bullpen which would mean Woodruff would be on the move. Nelson returns and then Chacin to the pen perhaps, but I imagine the Brewers are looking at moving Woodruff given HH19's latest information.

Davies could also go if Stearns preferred Woodruff.

Plan A- Super Staff

---Trade Domingo, Knebel, Davies for DeGrom

We sell high for true ace who is controllable for 3 years.

---Sign Arrieta or Darvish to the big deal

---Trade one of the 1B for prospects allowing Braun to play there a bit

DeGrom

Arrieta

Anderson

Nelson

Chacin

Plan B- Super Lineup

--- Sign Moose to play 3B

--- Sign Walker to play 2B

--- Move Shaw to 1B

--- Trade Domingo for high pitching or catching prospect(s)

--- Trade both 1B for pitchingprospects

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Shaw

Moose

Walker

Pina

Arcia

I’ve been against it but if Lucroy could be had for a 2yr deal at about $5-6M per season, I’m all for it. He would pencil in very nicely in the 7-hole. Even as he struggled to hit he still got on base. He and Pina could be a nice duo. Pina hit righties better than lefties last year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’ve been against it but if Lucroy could be had for a 2yr deal at about $5-6M per season, I’m all for it. He would pencil in very nicely in the 7-hole. Even as he struggled to hit he still got on base. He and Pina could be a nice duo. Pina hit righties better than lefties last year.

At that price Id rather him than vogt at his price. The 10/2 talk was a hard no. Market is rough on these dudes.

Brewer's FO calling for big meeting later today. My source is not part of it. This all I know at this point.

Well, that's something. Likely means there are potential moves on the table, and the Brewers brass needs to decide to sign off on them. Ball could be in their court now.

Of course, could be a planning meeting for Spring Training logistics, too. But its more fun to think a big deal is on the horizon.

Brewer's FO calling for big meeting later today. My source is not part of it. This all I know at this point.

Well, that's something. Likely means there are potential moves on the table, and the Brewers brass needs to decide to sign off on them. Ball could be in their court now.

Of course, could be a planning meeting for Spring Training logistics, too. But its more fun to think a big deal is on the horizon.

Why does it mean any of that? Could mean they have been stonewalled at every turn and need to have a meeting to reassess what to do next.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

With Darvish holding things up, I would look at this more as a strategic planning type thing than anything. My own speculation of course. They probably have a feel for the type of moves they can make and what the offers are going to look like at this point, and things will probably start moving fast as soon as Darvish makes a decision.

It is possible there's a deal on the table and they are debating whether to take it.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall in Stearns office...

It is possible there's a deal on the table and they are debating whether to take it.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall in Stearns office...

I think this is probably close. My guess is that they have two different paths they can take both involving more than one move. Path A would be something like Sign Darvish and trade for Salazar. Path B would be something like trade for Archer and sign Lynn. I'd bet they have a pretty good idea of what it is going to take to get both scenarios done and need to decide which one to go "all in" on.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Did we get him booted from these types of meetings by plastering it all over the internet?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Narrowing down the "source":

Health and physicals

Media and Marketing

Bagels and coffee

Leaking information to rile up the ardent fan base Coordinator

He/she has to be in one of these areas or some other part of the front office of the organization. Or maybe with the CIA and they are spying?

His source is probably a janitor who changes Stearn’s trash 100 times a day to creep in on inside conversations.

That or the receptionist who just overhears things from outside the door. Who else would know every detail and know about big meetings they aren’t invited to?

On a serious note if you are a big believer of HH19 the big meeting would have to be FA related because his source knew nothing about Cain. Never got Cain rumors. Though his source knows all about Darvish so I guess even that doesn’t make sense why he wouldn’t be invited. I guess you’d have to go with a meeting with major scouts to go over players or something. Regardless doesn’t make sense for it to be about a trade/FA decision since his source is supposably very aware of those situations. He wouldn’t be shut out of a meeting like that suddenly.

Meeting is to discuss do we really want to trade away a huge chunk of our top prospects for a solid starting pitcher?

As I take a step back for all this, that's a question I'm starting to ask. Am I a "prospect hugger?" You bet. Baseball, when all is said and done, is entertainment. And I really enjoy following our guys in the system, new guys added to the system, etc. We debate, argue, and discuss these guys and I love seeing how they actually turn out when they graduate to Miller Park.

That said, yes it's still about winning. But I have a hard time accepting how quickly we're trading away (or trying to) everyone in a couple weeks when it's taken years to build up the farm to where it is today.

Archived