Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

I'm sorry but you can't bench Domingo Santana or a (healthy) Braun. I don't care how his defense is, it'd be absolute lunacy to leave that bat on the bench. Heck, you can argue we could do better, but Eric Thames has no business being benched either. That leaves us Broxton, Aguilar, and/or Phillips since we can't get rid of Braun that need to go. I see no point in leaving Phillips in the minors.

Domingo has to go, and Aguilar/Broxton could go as well. Then you can split Braun/Phillips in RF on days off or if Braun is hurt/tired...or Braun/Thames at 1B depending on matchups. Braun is an everyday player when healthy and there's just no ifs ands or buts about it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say the Brewers do the unthinkable and sign Darvish...do the Brewers move forward with dealing Domingo? Would it make sense at that point to deal Santana and Burnes + for Archer given they still have Woodruff/Nelson/Chacin/Ortiz/Suter for the #5 spot?

Darvish

Archer

Anderson

Davies

Woodruff/Nelson/Chacin

I think I would prefer to trade Santana for prospects if we sign Darvish. Then use those prospects/cash saved to upgrade mid-season when we find out where the weaknesses are.

Darvish la, bumps cubs to arrieta, mn to lynn, us to cobb.

Yelich cain santana rest roughky 35 games total in healthy seasons. All rest can be covered with braun in left. Cain 10 in rf, yelich 25 in cf, braun 35 in lf.

Braun at 115 games is no stretch either way with proper rest. Which we can easily afford him. Leaves 82 starts for thames vs rhp.

Braun santana > broxton phillips thames aguilar. Braun for 115 games keeps his demand low. Thames costs 5mil... in 82 games at 1b he can still be a value and can be a great ph/dh option when on the bench. Thames also was beat up by a full mlb season.

I dont see the problem. I see a way to keep guys fresh, healthy, at their best, in spilts that give them a great opportunity to succeed.

Being able to stash broxton and phillips leaves a bench of vogt aguilar 1 starter sogard perez. If on OF goes down... broxton or phillips come up. It's a swiss army bench aided by 2 very good options optioned so they can get regular work.

Correct. Which is why I'm certain if the right trade doesn't come along for Santana it will happen because it has to now. Personel hasn't required it in the last 3 years. Sure does now.

I am 99% certain that plan B for Stearns is a FA pitcher signing if he can't get value for Santana, keep Santana until someone goes down with an injury then no issue with too many OF. If everyone is healthy for an extended period then we celebrate being lucky and work on splits to keep everyone fresh until DH days. If Santana puts up another good year his stock will only rise.

Brewer's are in "very small talk" with a NL team not named the Diamondbacks in regards to acquiring a pitcher. Nothing imminent.

Brewer's are "DEAD SET" on acquiring a higher end pitcher to add to the rotation by opening day. (Sort of Obvious)

Brewer's want to have 2 higher end pitchers if circumstances allow. 1 expensive and 1 on the cheap. The cheap would have to come via trade for obvious reasons. If not by opening day, the second could come at the trade deadline.

Gallardo's plan is to be in the bullpen and make spot starts as needed.

Brewer's are in "very small talk" with a NL team not named the Diamondbacks in regards to acquiring a pitcher. Nothing imminent.

Brewer's are "DEAD SET" on acquiring a higher end pitcher to add to the rotation by opening day. (Sort of Obvious)

Brewer's want to have 2 higher end pitchers if circumstances allow. 1 expensive and 1 on the cheap. The cheap would have to come via trade for obvious reasons. If not by opening day, the second could come at the trade deadline.

This stuck out to me. If the Brewers acquire Arrieta and Archer, the rotation then is Arrieta, Archer, Anderson, Davies, Chacin with Nelson coming. Who is missing? I doubt the Brewers signed Chacin to be in the bullpen which would mean Woodruff would be on the move. Nelson returns and then Chacin to the pen perhaps, but I imagine the Brewers are looking at moving Woodruff given HH19's latest information.

Let the speculation begin ...

Can you say whether said pitcher is a starter or a reliever? If reliever, I'm going with Brad Hand. Starter? Umm, I dunno. Teheran or Matt Harvey? If so, blah.

Wouldn't mind deGrom. Pretty sure I read somewhere that something centering around Santana might be an option the Mets might find acceptable. Maybe I heard it on MLB radio this morning. Of course, I also heard this morning that the Red Sox might have an interest in Braun if they don't get JD. Grains of salt all around.

I wonder why we don't hear much about the Rangers. Too many infielders. Weak defensively in the outfield. Seems to me a deal like Broxton for Profar plus a bullpen arm (Kela or Leclerc) would make sense for both teams.

EDIT: Anything on deGrom would be contingent on them somehow moving Cespedes to make room for Santana IIRC. So, unlikely.

Of course, I also heard this morning that the Red Sox might have an interest in Braun if they don't get JD.

Well, they just lost their arb hearing with Betts, so they are shelling out an extra $3 million there. I imagine that would remove them from any interest in Braun (if he'd even accept a trade there). I think Santana makes sense there, though.

Of course, I also heard this morning that the Red Sox might have an interest in Braun if they don't get JD.

Well, they just lost their arb hearing with Betts, so they are shelling out an extra $3 million there. I imagine that would remove them from any interest in Braun (if he'd even accept a trade there). I think Santana makes sense there, though.

$3 million is going to stop the Red Sox from making a splash move?

Wouldn't mind deGrom. Pretty sure I read somewhere that something centering around Santana might be an option the Mets might find acceptable.

deGrom is more valuable than Archer, IMO. We'd have to empty the majority of our farm system around Santana in a trade (if the Mets would want Santana, which you noted doesn't make a ton of sense).

Yep: https://bosoxinjection.com/2017/11/03/red-sox-2018-payroll-update/

Heck, if the Dodgers are worried about it, the Red Sox are.

Yep: https://bosoxinjection.com/2017/11/03/red-sox-2018-payroll-update/

Heck, if the Dodgers are worried about it, the Red Sox are.

I'm not following here.

The Red Sox were hoping to be about $3 million over the threshold and now they're $6 million instead because of the Betts news.

Say the Braun rumor was true:

Either they're taking Braun knowing that they're going way over the threshold again and will live with it...or they're sending something back to offset salaries and Braun's money minus the offset money (Hanley Ramirez or some combo of players (again, unrealistic)) will keep them under the threshold.

I don't know why Betts' $3 million that they had to be planning for would change their outlook on this.

I don't know if it's been brought up here, even if it was I'm sure it's buried and was missed by some. but the Red Sox could be a sleeper for Santana due to a clause in Ramirez's contract that needs them to give him less than 500 ABs this year or else he gets another year tacked onto his contract in the 23mil ballpark. So, they could really use an upgrade at DH and to have Ramirez be a backup/fill in when injuries happen. I suppose the same logic would apply to Braun but obviously the no trade clause and large contract he's owed too...

Avila AAV of $4.125. If Lucroy were to sign something like this count me in.

I think that's the kind of money Neil Walker is looking at too. If you could grab Walker and Lucroy for less than $10 million per season combined, sign me up for both.

Oh I highly doubt it. Walker still has the Mets and Brewers at minimum as teams vying for his services. I wouldn't doubt Walker is being held up by Darvish, maybe he thinks the Brewers have more cash to throw his way if we strike out on high end FA pitching. I feel like Lucroy can probably still get $20-30 million, I have no idea what's holding up the FA position player market. On the pitching side it's clearly Darvish, and I highly highly doubt Santana is factoring much into the position player side. Maybe mildly on the 2nd tier of OF but that's it, and Martinez is impacting that as well.

Mets or Braves would be my guess.

Seth Lugo or Brandon McCarthy if Braves kick in some money.

This stuck out to me. If the Brewers acquire Arrieta and Archer, the rotation then is Arrieta, Archer, Anderson, Davies, Chacin with Nelson coming. Who is missing? I doubt the Brewers signed Chacin to be in the bullpen which would mean Woodruff would be on the move. Nelson returns and then Chacin to the pen perhaps, but I imagine the Brewers are looking at moving Woodruff given HH19's latest information.

Davies can be moved and Woodruff has options left

Archived