Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

When you're trying to match up a trade idea with Cleveland, or any other team for that matter, the idea has to show obvious benefit for both sides.

Cleveland won't give up a catching prospect like Mejia, because Milwaukee included a catching prospect like Nottingham - that just won't happen.

The Indians don't necessarily need a second baseman back if they deal Jason Kipnis, because they can move Jose Ramirez over from third base - maybe they trust Yandy Diaz enough to hand him third base, or maybe that's the position they'd look to fill in a trade, or a free agent signing.

Besides right-handed power, the most obvious place I see to help the Indians is in their bullpen - they lost two free agents out of there this winter, and they may lose both Andrew Miller and Cody Allen after the 2018 season.

If I'm the Indians, I want that righty power bat if I can get it, and I want young arms to fill bullpen spots with, perhaps this year, but almost certainly for next year. They may want either a second baseman or a third baseman, I don't know, I would guess that depends on what they believe Yandy Diaz is going to be.

I'd ask the Indians for starting pitching, and I'd be offering Santana, if the deal gets complex, I would expect them to want a young pitcher for their current and (especially) future bullpens. If we have an arm like that headed their way, then a prospect at a position of need can come our way.

Don't try to, "win" the trade, try to make the trade that works.

Maybe the Indians have interest in guys like Taylor Williams, Bubba Derby, Adrian Houser, etc...if the deal gets more complicated than Santana for Salazar+.

How much more do you think we'd need to add to Santana to get Clevinger instead of Salazar? Bringing in Clevinger is much cheaper this year and could allow us to target a free agent SP or 2b.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you're trying to match up a trade idea with Cleveland, or any other team for that matter, the idea has to show obvious benefit for both sides.

Cleveland won't give up a catching prospect like Mejia, because Milwaukee included a catching prospect like Nottingham - that just won't happen.

The Indians don't necessarily need a second baseman back if they deal Jason Kipnis, because they can move Jose Ramirez over from third base - maybe they trust Yandy Diaz enough to hand him third base, or maybe that's the position they'd look to fill in a trade, or a free agent signing.

Besides right-handed power, the most obvious place I see to help the Indians is in their bullpen - they lost two free agents out of there this winter, and they may lose both Andrew Miller and Cody Allen after the 2018 season.

If I'm the Indians, I want that righty power bat if I can get it, and I want young arms to fill bullpen spots with, perhaps this year, but almost certainly for next year. They may want either a second baseman or a third baseman, I don't know, I would guess that depends on what they believe Yandy Diaz is going to be.

I'd ask the Indians for starting pitching, and I'd be offering Santana, if the deal gets complex, I would expect them to want a young pitcher for their current and (especially) future bullpens. If we have an arm like that headed their way, then a prospect at a position of need can come our way.

Santana & T. Williams for Salazar, Kipnis, McKenzie?

We aren't getting McKenize or Mejia (not and) for anything less than Santana plus top 100 types. According to BA our best prospect is Hiura who is ranked 56. If you want top 20 guys the price is prohibitive to the point where we just don't have the ammunition unless we want to empty the farm.

I like Santana as much as probably anyone on this board, but he isn't going to get us a top 20 type of player except maybe at the deadline with a very desperate team and even then I'm not sure. T Williams doesn't move the needle.

Could really use some news soon!

There might not be much news left.

If teams are trolling out slander against Santana you just keep him. If he repeats last year his value doesnt go down even with less control. One good years a fluke, 2 is a pattern. He goes 275/350 with 30 bombs he's going to get more interest not less.

If Braun to 1b is a thing. The offense is stacked. With cain yelich braun/thames shaw santana you can leave 2b as is and be fine with villar arcia pina and their platoon mates. Pina vogt braun thames villar sogard arcia shaw pina yelich cain santana broxton leave phillips in cs is entirely possible. Aguilar would be news in being cut or traded. If we stack 1-5 that strong we can easily afford to give villar and broxton another shot.

Pen at knebel hader albers logan barnes jeffress suter is all but set.

Anderson davies chacin woodruff... gallardo guerra wilkerson leaves 1 spot until nelson returns. You'd like to have 1 more but it could be as simple as corbin odorizzi, any of the big arms or even scratch and dent options still out there.

We are at roughly 95 mil.

So far they've invested wisely. Yelich is special. Cains been worth 35mil per year over his last few years. They feel he's not only getting older, but wiser. They believe 16 per is a value and 2 more 5 war seasons would make them right. Plus he's plus D and low K. Everything about him fits the philosophy alter. Then chacin cheap. Gallardo logan and albers super cheap.

2 big splashes or not. They are being very frugal and specifically targeted. This could be where the offseason ends up.

Basically we were pretty decent last year. Broxton was bad. As is lost 2 months of walker. Thames will play less and aguilar will be gone. In their place is cain and yelich. That more than offsets walker. By a lot.

The pen was bad til hader jeffress swarzak. Hader jeffress back for a full year. Logan over drake. Albers replaces hughes.

Say we lose 100ip from nelson and gain 40-60 from anderson. We cut out 257 ip from garza guerra willy espino. Thats now woodruff chacin gallardo/wilkerson. Even down nelson its hard to imagine the back end of this rotation being worse, if not picking up a lot of slack, vs ladt years crap.

We are already, as is, a lot better than any point last year.

Woke up this morning, drinking my coffee, and feeling good. Why? Because it’s Tuesday. Welcome home HH19!

In all due seriousness though. This Darvish timeline is really starting to frustrate me. If the reports are true that he’s waiting in LA to clear up money, he has to realize that teams can’t do so until the big fish leaves the pond...and he’s the big fish. Catch 22 situation for sure, but geez...get a move on Darvish! The Crew still has moves to make!!!

If teams are trolling out slander against Santana you just keep him. If he repeats last year his value doesnt go down even with less control. One good years a fluke, 2 is a pattern. He goes 275/350 with 30 bombs he's going to get more interest not less.

If Braun to 1b is a thing. The offense is stacked. With cain yelich braun/thames shaw santana you can leave 2b as is and be fine with villar arcia pina and their platoon mates. Pina vogt braun thames villar sogard arcia shaw pina yelich cain santana broxton leave phillips in cs is entirely possible. Aguilar would be news in being cut or traded. If we stack 1-5 that strong we can easily afford to give villar and broxton another shot.

Anderson davies chacin woodruff... gallardo guerra wilkerson leaves 1 spot until nelson returns. You'd like to have 1 more but it could be as simple as corbin odorizzi, any of the big arms or even scratch and dent options still out there.

So far they've invested wisely. Yelich is special. Cains been worth 35mil per year over his last few years. They feel he's not only getting older, but wiser. They believe 16 per is a value and 2 more 5 war seasons would make them right. Plus he's plus D and low K. Everything about him fits the philosophy alter. Then chacin cheap. Gallardo logan and albers super cheap.

2 big splashes or not. They are being very frugal and specifically targeted. This could be where the offseason ends up.

Basically we were pretty decent last year. Broxton was bad. As is lost 2 months of walker. Thames will play less and aguilar will be gone. In their place is cain and yelich. That more than offsets walker. By a lot.

The pen was bad til hader jeffress swarzak. Hader jeffress back for a full year. Logan over drake. Albers replaces hughes.

Say we lose 100ip from nelson and gain 40-60 from anderson. We cut out 257 ip from garza guerra willy espino. Thats now woodruff chacin gallardo/wilkerson. Even down nelson its hard to imagine the back end of this rotation being worse, if not picking up a lot of slack, vs ladt years crap.

There almost has to be at least a move or two coming. It might be signing a pitcher or trading for one, but I can't imagine they're finished. And the roster right now quite honestly makes zero sense. Something has to be brewing. As previously stated, it's probably all being held up by Darvish. Need him to do something, then some dominoes can start to fall. If the Brewers miss out on the 4 starters, you'd think a trade would almost have to happen.

C'mon HH19! It's 8:45 already this morning and we still don't have an update. Where you at? :)

HH19 had a banner year ice fishing, the haul was so large he's still cleaning them. He hasn't had time to announce Hank the Dog has been traded for Rally Monkey and a gimmick to be named later.

While they might not "need" a 2B if they deal Kipnis, as part of their plan currently is to use Kipnis around the diamond. If they deal him, Hernan Perez has proven he's adept in that role and he's a RH bat, something they are particularly in need of.

While they might not "need" a 2B if they deal Kipnis, as part of their plan currently is to use Kipnis around the diamond. If they deal him, Hernan Perez has proven he's adept in that role and he's a RH bat, something they are particularly in need of.

Perez is expendable with Sogard in the fold and Dubon waiting in the wings, and you make a good point that he could have value for Cleveland. We also have Villar of course, though I don't think he sticks around unless he's competing for the starting job.

I would think if they want a catcher with good defense, that they would be in on a guy like Pina. Both of Cleveland's catchers flat out stink offensively. Pina would provide them with the defense and an offensive upgrade.

And this is why my brain hurts continually reading Mejia as a trade target.

See this posters above? Pina isn't fixing that because Cleveland's plan is Mejia is fixing that. They already given Mejia a taste of the Majors with 11 games in a September callup. He is that close to being Cleveland's every day Catcher and solving the "Both of Cleveland's catchers flat out stink offensively"

I'd say an equivalent in 2016's off season would be Cleveland trading us Cody Allen for Josh Hader because our bullpen is bad.

What about Trevor Bauer? For Santana? And the name I said before Willi Castro SS(seems like a Stearns up the middle tools guy)

Now before writing off Bauer understand he was a top 10 prospect at one point and you could look at his stats and he's gradually improving with a 10k/9 last year moving to the NL. He's also pitched 176/190/176 innings the last 3 years. He would come at 3 years of Arb Team control. You would be hedging your IP out of him over Danny Salazar while sacrificing a little quality. His 21 Games of Interleague stats he has a 71OPS+ against vs 100 for his career. So another sign a move the NL could benefit him well.

Why hasn't this trade happened? Maybe it's because Bauer and Cleveland are in the 1st year taken to Arb where apparently it's 5.3mil or 6.52mil yet to be decided. Obviously, a win on Bauer's part increases his future salary and likely increases the Brewers return in the trade idea. The opposite would hold true if Bauer loses it and being cheaper, the Indians don't send back as high a prospect.

There almost has to be at least a move or two coming. It might be signing a pitcher or trading for one, but I can't imagine they're finished. And the roster right now quite honestly makes zero sense. Something has to be brewing. As previously stated, it's probably all being held up by Darvish. Need him to do something, then some dominoes can start to fall. If the Brewers miss out on the 4 starters, you'd think a trade would almost have to happen.

How does the roster make no sense?

Because they aren't going to go into the season with Yelich, Cain, Braun, Santana, Phillips and Broxton in the OF.

Broxton will be gone. Braun can play 1B if they really have to.

It's not perfect and should be fixed, but they can make do, I guess.

Right. Phillips can stay in cs. Is broxton really a concern?

2 c, braun thames, villar sogard, arcia, shaw perez, yelich cain santana broxton fits just fine.

The no sense reverts back to phillips staying in the minors and a choice between broxton and aguilar? That's minor details.

Well if Broxton is gone, they've made a roster move (and it's highly unlikely they'd just release him) - which is exactly my point. There may not be a blockbuster coming, but there's got to be moves yet. And if Braun is going to play 1b, where exactly does Aguilar fit on the roster?

There's just too many guys right now for this to be the final roster. Could they send Broxton or Phillips down, yes...just doesn't feel like that's the plan right now.

At this point, I have to believe that Broxton and Aguilar's days on the Brewer roster are numbered. At this point, you have a bench of:

C: Vogt

OF: Santana, Phillips

IF: Perez, Sogard

If the Brewers are able to move Santana, I think Aguilar is the next choice for the bench given his success in PH as well as his ability to backup 1B and Perez' ability to play as the 5th OF.

However you look at it, there is a true bench/roster crunch as it stands now.

Because they aren't going to go into the season with Yelich, Cain, Braun, Santana, Phillips and Broxton in the OF.

Broxton and Phillips can go to AAA and Braun to 1B might be more realistic than people want to think about.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

For those of you waiting for HH19 to return...check out the "Where is Domingo going" board. he's posted SEVERAL times in there today, with a complete breakdown of everything since he's been gone. That should get you your Brewers fix.

Man, if Braun isnt moved to 1B full time, I honestly cant see Domingo becoming a 4th OF... Would be an absolute waste of his talent.

Correct. Which is why I'm certain if the right trade doesn't come along for Santana it will happen because it has to now. Personel hasn't required it in the last 3 years. Sure does now.

Man, if Braun isnt moved to 1B full time, I honestly cant see Domingo becoming a 4th OF... Would be an absolute waste of his talent.

You could get close to enough ABs in for everyone if Braun is a platoon 1B and still gets some OF. It would mean Aguilar is gone, though.

Archived