Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

Santana, Aguilar, and Woodruff for McKenzie

I think that's a HUGE overvalue for McKenzie. He's a good prospect to be sure, but value-wise, he isn't far off of what Woodruff is.

I get the feeling reading this thread that we are substantially undervaluing our own guys, while overvaluing Cleveland's. Santana straight up for McKenzie would be a steal for Cleveland.

I don't agree. McKenzie's ceiling is TOR, Woodruff's is not. Like it or not Santana's value is not what we think it should be. Brewers likely don't have their own TOR guy in the system, so you have to either take some chances like this or pay massive amounts of money or prospects to get a proven one.

I don't know that we can get McKenzie for anything reasonable. The more likely trade is Santana for Salazar with small pieces thrown in on Cleveland's end. Santana has more value to Cleveland than Salazar to us, considering other market options. Many other teams would like Santana, we have a few other options to land a SP along with FA. I don't know Cleveland's system that well, but using the Brewers farm as a value comp...maybe Salazar plus a Diplan/Medeiros/Dubon/Gatewood caliber prospect.

If we target Salazar + Mejia, get ready to unload at minimum one of Burnes/Woodruff/Ortiz/Peralta. If it's one of the latter 2, expect at least one other solid prospect to go back.

What about Santana + Aguilar + Ortiz + Nottingham + Bickford for Salazar + Mejia? I think that's reasonable from a value standpoint, I'm not sure of their 25 man situation if Aguilar makes sense for them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Albers is a solid signing... veteran righty who is fairly versatile and can close in a pinch (though if i recall, he didn't thrive in the role in limited chances last year for the nats)... sounds like he could be a 7th or 8th inning guy...

4.) Release Aguilar (no one is trading for him)

Didn't we get Broxton for Rogers? Just sayin'

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

1.) Trade Santana for Salazar.

2.) Trade for Harrison to play 2B (not sure what his value is to be honest)

3.) Trade Thames and Ortiz for Duffy

Keep the prospects from our division rival and bring in Nunez or bring back Walker

Keep the prospects from our division rival and bring in Nunez or bring back Walker

I prefer the defense that Harrison brings. I can't imagine he would cost a lot with all of the free agent options out there. Other teams that want a second baseman could sign either Nunez or Walker.

The Yankees traded for a no name 1B at AAA from us....thinking Aguilar would fetch something.

Oh yeah, him too!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I prefer the defense that Harrison brings. I can't imagine he would cost a lot with all of the free agent options out there. Other teams that want a second baseman could sign either Nunez or Walker.

Nunez would be fine Defenisvley

I think that's a HUGE overvalue for McKenzie. He's a good prospect to be sure, but value-wise, he isn't far off of what Woodruff is.

I get the feeling reading this thread that we are substantially undervaluing our own guys, while overvaluing Cleveland's. Santana straight up for McKenzie would be a steal for Cleveland.

I don't agree. McKenzie's ceiling is TOR, Woodruff's is not. Like it or not Santana's value is not what we think it should be. Brewers likely don't have their own TOR guy in the system, so you have to either take some chances like this or pay massive amounts of money or prospects to get a proven one.

I don't know that we can get McKenzie for anything reasonable. The more likely trade is Santana for Salazar with small pieces thrown in on Cleveland's end. Santana has more value to Cleveland than Salazar to us, considering other market options. Many other teams would like Santana, we have a few other options to land a SP along with FA. I don't know Cleveland's system that well, but using the Brewers farm as a value comp...maybe Salazar plus a Diplan/Medeiros/Dubon/Gatewood caliber prospect.

If we target Salazar + Mejia, get ready to unload at minimum one of Burnes/Woodruff/Ortiz/Peralta. If it's one of the latter 2, expect at least one other solid prospect to go back.

What about Santana + Aguilar + Ortiz + Nottingham + Bickford for Salazar + Mejia? I think that's reasonable from a value standpoint, I'm not sure of their 25 man situation if Aguilar makes sense for them.

Does Clevland want Aguilar back?

Would you prefer nothing of note?

Yeah, I would. Personally I'd rather make under the radar moves like trading Rogers for Broxton and a starting pitcher (Trey Supak) who is currently our 14th best prospect, rather than just dumping guys for nothing just because we don't want to be bothered with unknown flyers and lottery tickets.

Yeah, I would. Personally I'd rather make under the radar moves like trading Rogers for Broxton and a starting pitcher (Trey Supak) who is currently our 14th best prospect, rather than just dumping guys for nothing just because we don't want to be bothered with unknown flyers and lottery tickets.

Ok, as much I wanted to scour the minor leagues for Broxton and Supak type guys, I didn't. I am sure the Brewers would do that however. I will happily change my fourth move (which it is curious that it is the one that is generating chatter), to a bag of balls/equivalent.

Would you prefer nothing of note?

Yeah, I would. Personally, I'd rather make under the radar moves like trading Rogers for Broxton and a starting pitcher (Trey Supak) who is currently our 14th best prospect, rather than just dumping guys for nothing just because we don't want to be bothered with unknown flyers and lottery tickets.

How did I forget that! Yeah, there are some that really undervalue a guy like Aguilar. This is a perfect example of that. I'm sure as heck glad Stearns doesn't.

White Sox GM Rick Hahn suggested at SoxFest over the weekend that he expects both Jose Abreu and Avisail Garcia to open the year with the ChiSox.

“…[W]e are now basically done with an offseason during which we were able to understand what their value is out in the market,” said Hahn. “We made the assessment we were much better served as an organization to have both with us to start the 2018 season.”

Stole this from MLB Trade Rumors- Doesn't look like Abreu will be a Brewer if there was ever even the slightest chance of it.

It would appear that Santana/Nottingham for Salazar/Mejia does make some sense.

Not for Cleveland.

While I agree this trade is not likely given Santana for Salazar alone if pretty equal, I do believe that Cleveland is likely needing to go all in this year given Andrew Miller, Cody Allen, Michael Brantley are FAs after the season, Jay Bruce and Carlos Santana are already gone, Jason Kipnis has been hurt and Encarnacion, Carrasco and Kluber can be FAs after 2019. Trading for Santana makes a ton of sense.

Part in bold is not accurate.

Edwin has a team option for $20M in 2020 (or $5M buyout)

Carrasco has team option for $9.5M in 2020 (no buyout)

Klubers has team options for 2020 (at $13.5M) AND 2021 (at $14M)..

Not for Cleveland.

While I agree this trade is not likely given Santana for Salazar alone if pretty equal, I do believe that Cleveland is likely needing to go all in this year given Andrew Miller, Cody Allen, Michael Brantley are FAs after the season, Jay Bruce and Carlos Santana are already gone, Jason Kipnis has been hurt and Encarnacion, Carrasco and Kluber can be FAs after 2019. Trading for Santana makes a ton of sense.

How is that not accurate. I those team options are declined, would they not all be FA's at the end of 2019? He didn't say they would be, just that they can be.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Not for Cleveland.

How is that not accurate. If those team options are declined, would they not all be FA's at the end of 2019? He didn't say they would be, just that they can be.

When you're trying to match up a trade idea with Cleveland, or any other team for that matter, the idea has to show obvious benefit for both sides.

Cleveland won't give up a catching prospect like Mejia, because Milwaukee included a catching prospect like Nottingham - that just won't happen.

The Indians don't necessarily need a second baseman back if they deal Jason Kipnis, because they can move Jose Ramirez over from third base - maybe they trust Yandy Diaz enough to hand him third base, or maybe that's the position they'd look to fill in a trade, or a free agent signing.

Besides right-handed power, the most obvious place I see to help the Indians is in their bullpen - they lost two free agents out of there this winter, and they may lose both Andrew Miller and Cody Allen after the 2018 season.

If I'm the Indians, I want that righty power bat if I can get it, and I want young arms to fill bullpen spots with, perhaps this year, but almost certainly for next year. They may want either a second baseman or a third baseman, I don't know, I would guess that depends on what they believe Yandy Diaz is going to be.

I'd ask the Indians for starting pitching, and I'd be offering Santana, if the deal gets complex, I would expect them to want a young pitcher for their current and (especially) future bullpens. If we have an arm like that headed their way, then a prospect at a position of need can come our way.

Don't try to, "win" the trade, try to make the trade that works.

I would think if they want a catcher with good defense, that they would be in on a guy like Pina. Both of Cleveland's catchers flat out stink offensively. Pina would provide them with the defense and an offensive upgrade.

When you're trying to match up a trade idea with Cleveland, or any other team for that matter, the idea has to show obvious benefit for both sides.

Cleveland won't give up a catching prospect like Mejia, because Milwaukee included a catching prospect like Nottingham - that just won't happen.

The Indians don't necessarily need a second baseman back if they deal Jason Kipnis, because they can move Jose Ramirez over from third base - maybe they trust Yandy Diaz enough to hand him third base, or maybe that's the position they'd look to fill in a trade, or a free agent signing.

Besides right-handed power, the most obvious place I see to help the Indians is in their bullpen - they lost two free agents out of there this winter, and they may lose both Andrew Miller and Cody Allen after the 2018 season.

If I'm the Indians, I want that righty power bat if I can get it, and I want young arms to fill bullpen spots with, perhaps this year, but almost certainly for next year. They may want either a second baseman or a third baseman, I don't know, I would guess that depends on what they believe Yandy Diaz is going to be.

I'd ask the Indians for starting pitching, and I'd be offering Santana, if the deal gets complex, I would expect them to want a young pitcher for their current and (especially) future bullpens. If we have an arm like that headed their way, then a prospect at a position of need can come our way.

Don't try to, "win" the trade, try to make the trade that works.

Santana & T. Williams for Salazar, Kipnis, McKenzie?

Archived