Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Mejia could provide offensively at the C position makes him an organizational building block - if he can stick there defensively. The only reason Cleveland would be open to trading him is because they have other veteran catchers under contract on their MLB roster and they are trying to win it all right now before their window closes and they need a RH power bat. Mejia becoming an everyday MLB contributor is probably at least 1-1.5 seasons away, which doesn't help them this year. 1.5-2 seasons from now, Cleveland's MLB roster will look very different and their division will be much more competitive.

From a Brewers' perspective, I'd do a Santana for Mejia trade straight up in a heartbeat, and would be fine with including Nottingham. I'm still bummed Lucroy vetoed that trade and Mejia isn't getting himself ready for AAA in CO springs for the brewers.

Do we think Thames , Woodruff and Broxton would get us Archer?

No that’s not even close imo i dnt think they’d do thAt without Santana in the deal and even if you swap Santana for Thames or Broxton still would probably need another piece

And that other piece would be Burnes or Ortiz or both.

I don’t think he’d give up both.... I think maybe Ortiz and then say nick ford to Tampa as a lottery ticket arm could be conceivable

Asking sincerely,but why do people think Cleveland wants to trade Mejia? Is Domingo Santana going to be the difference maker that wins them a World Series? I'm just not seeing it....

Because it's a board and people like speculate.

Almost all of these trade offers are treating Mejia like a throw-in.

I am higher on Mejia than Brinson, but they are I believe the #19 and #20 prospects right now in baseball. I think Mejia climbs higher by this time next year, but let's treat them the same.

People are just acting like we'd have thrown in Lewis Brinson as the tiebreaker in a very close trade. It's kinda absurd. "You think that Broxton for [insert moderate-ceiling AAA reliever here] is slightly in the Brewers favor but very close? OK, we'll throw in Brinson to smooth that out."

Someone just posted Mejia for Santana. I think that is somewhat closer to a reality, but I still think Cleveland hangs up the phone and waits for a few more pieces to be added before they even start thinking about it.

My speculative offer is FAR from treating Mejia as a throw-in. Santana is a 30 HR middle of the order bat who is very cheap and cost-controlled for several more years. While he doesn't have the value Yelich brings to the table, he isn't far off. The Brewers just traded a top 30 prospect (Brinson), a top 50 (Harrison) a borderline top 100 (Diaz) and a valuable flyer (Yamamoto) for Yelich. Santana for Mejia straight-up is a big overpay on the Brewers' end. Santana and Nottingham for Mejia is robbery. I think if there is a trade with Cleveland, pitching is coming back.

It all depends on how Santana and Salazar compare value-wise. I say when looking at salary and years of control, Santana has quite a bit more value than Salazar. Mejia and Brinson are likely rated close to similar value-wise. Nottingham's value falls between Diaz and Yamamoto, but would give Cleveland a ready-made catcher to take Mejia's spot in the upper minors. Perhaps the Brewers would need to throw in another mid-level prospect, but the deal works.

Not even close. If Archer is coming to Milwaukee, Santana plus likely at least one top 100 prospect are going to Tampa Bay.

I don't want Archer that bad.

Not even close. If Archer is coming to Milwaukee, Santana plus likely at least one top 100 prospect are going to Tampa Bay.

I'd do Santana and Broxton for Archer in a heartbeat. I'd think about Santana and Woodruff, but that would be tough. If they need a starter, I'd much rather trade one of our higher upside guys in the lower minors. I have a feeling Woodruff is going to be very valuable and needed this year, and in years to come.

It would appear that Santana/Nottingham for Salazar/Mejia does make some sense.

Not for Cleveland.

While I agree this trade is not likely given Santana for Salazar alone if pretty equal, I do believe that Cleveland is likely needing to go all in this year given Andrew Miller, Cody Allen, Michael Brantley are FAs after the season, Jay Bruce and Carlos Santana are already gone, Jason Kipnis has been hurt and Encarnacion, Carrasco and Kluber can be FAs after 2019. Trading for Santana makes a ton of sense.

I'd do Santana and Broxton for Archer in a heartbeat. I'd think about Santana and Woodruff, but that would be tough. If they need a starter, I'd much rather trade one of our higher upside guys in the lower minors. I have a feeling Woodruff is going to be very valuable and needed this year, and in years to come.

I would do Santana and Ortiz in a heartbeat. I just don't think that is enough. If I were to give a guess about the actual cost, it would start with Santana and Burnes and probably need to include a Freddy Peralta type as well.

That is a lot, but the farm should be able to be rebuilt while the Brewers have so many players on the roster that are controlled through the next 5 years. Not advocating that trade, but the Brewers are using the farm to target controllable players which I believe is a GREAT strategy.

I don't want Archer that bad.

I'd do Santana plus Ortiz for Archer. I am far from a minor league expert, but Ortiz just doesn't excite me. And similar to Yelich and Brinson - Archer is pretty much Ortiz's best case scenario, and we'd have him controlled on a very reasonable contract for 4 years.

I am not Shea Vucinich

That said, I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere on the board but maybe someone can explain to me here - we all talk about Santana for Archer, but why would Tampa trade a TOR MLB starter for another MLB player with essentially the same years of control? Either they are trying to compete at the MLB level now and over the next few years, or not...right? Seems like if they are trying to trade a good, young, controllable starter that it would be for prospects.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Nottingham tweeted a couple of interesting things last night. Maybe he was just inspired by the Grammys, but perhaps he's heard something about needing to take a physical this week...https://twitter.com/JacobNottingham

Did he delete the tweet youre inferring to?

I think they're still up there...you just need to speculate:

"He has a plan for me"= maybe I've been traded somewhere again and it's another bump in the road?

"I know who my crew is" = the "Crew" may not be is crew now.

Also a tweet about being ready for Spring Training to start in the middle of there which is just part of the story of those other 2.

He also retweeted someone saying "Worrying is wasting energy on the things you can't control. Leave everything in God's hand. Think less, pray more."

I know we want to read more into it, but after going back through his timeline this isn't anything out of the ordinary from what he normally appears over the past few months.

Gruber Lawffices

That said, I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere on the board but maybe someone can explain to me here - we all talk about Santana for Archer, but why would Tampa trade a TOR MLB starter for another MLB player with essentially the same years of control? Either they are trying to compete at the MLB level now and over the next few years, or not...right? Seems like if they are trying to trade a good, young, controllable starter that it would be for prospects.

I agree. Tampa is not a good matchup for many reasons. Someone mentioned Santana and Broxton but Tampa really doesn't need an OF, much less two of them.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The deal would be something like Santana, Ortiz and Ray (or somebody like him (Dubon). 3rd prospect being somebody lesser. The 2 prospects have to be guys TB likes. If they don't like Ortiz its either Burnes or Peralta. Burnes is a NO IMHO

Trade 1) Santana + Nottingham + Villar for Salazar + Mejia + Kipnis

Brewers need to take on risk of Kipnis to balance the trade for Cleveland

Trade 2) Mejia + Woodruff + Ray + Gatewood for Chris Archer

It will take at least 2 top 100's including a top 25 or so to get Archer.

Then I would leave Yelich in LF fulltime, Cain in CF fulltime and have Braun & Phillips in a loose platoon in RF and Braun and Thames in a loose platoon at 1B

The deal would be something like Santana, Ortiz and Ray (or somebody like him (Dubon). 3rd prospect being somebody lesser. The 2 prospects have to be guys TB likes. If they don't like Ortiz its either Burnes or Peralta. Burnes is a NO IMHO

I just don't understand why TB would have any interest in Santana at all in this scenario. Why bother asking for an MLB guy that you'll have for the years that you just traded away your ace for? If I'm trading away Archer I want prospects on prospects, and really good ones. Cleveland for Mejia/Salazar makes a lot more sense to me, though I would love to get Archer.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I just don't understand why TB would have any interest in Santana at all in this scenario. Why bother asking for an MLB guy that you'll have for the years you just that you just traded away your ace for? If I'm trading away Archer I want prospects on prospects, and really good ones. Cleveland for Mejia/Salazar makes a lot more sense to me, though I would love to get Archer.

Some people think they'll still want to compete with Honeywell, Snell coming of age, etc. but I'm not sure I believe it.

Santana, Aguilar, and Woodruff for McKenzie

I think that's a HUGE overvalue for McKenzie. He's a good prospect to be sure, but value-wise, he isn't far off of what Woodruff is.

I get the feeling reading this thread that we are substantially undervaluing our own guys, while overvaluing Cleveland's. Santana straight up for McKenzie would be a steal for Cleveland.

Some people think they'll still want to compete with Honeywell, Snell coming of age, etc. but I'm not sure I believe it.

Yeah, hard to believe any team planning to compete would ever trade away good, controlled starting pitching - I don't care how much lineup help is needed. Maybe if Archer had 1 year left on his deal and they were aiming to bolster their team for many years to come, but with 4 years left it just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not Shea Vucinich

No way Cleveland accepts that trade, it's not even close.

Neither Nottingham not Villar add much value to a trade. I'm not saying either is worthless, but Nottingham is basically a 20ish organizational prospect and Villar is a buy low candidate for a rebuilding team. Neither moves the needle much. Phillips might.

Santana, Aguilar, and Woodruff for McKenzie

I think that's a HUGE overvalue for McKenzie. He's a good prospect to be sure, but value-wise, he isn't far off of what Woodruff is.

I get the feeling reading this thread that we are substantially undervaluing our own guys, while overvaluing Cleveland's. Santana straight up for McKenzie would be a steal for Cleveland.

I don't agree. McKenzie's ceiling is TOR, Woodruff's is not. Like it or not Santana's value is not what we think it should be. Brewers likely don't have their own TOR guy in the system, so you have to either take some chances like this or pay massive amounts of money or prospects to get a proven one.

We just saw what a Yelich trade looks like and it's very reasonable to think an Archer trade would be similar. Think Santana plus 2 of our 3 remaining top 100s.

Nottingham, Villar, Thames, Et al would be throw ins and aren't in any way key guys to landing us a Mejia or an Archer.

No way Cleveland accepts that trade, it's not even close.

Neither Nottingham not Villar add much value to a trade. I'm not saying either is worthless, but Nottingham is basically a 20ish organizational prospect and Villar is a buy low candidate for a rebuilding team. Neither moves the needle much. Phillips might.

Still far off. No one seems to realize Mejia is a top prospect. Think about all the worry over trading Brinson and add more because Mejia is a better prospect than Brinson. I don't think they're interested in including him just to get Santana.

Trade 2) Mejia + Woodruff + Ray + Gatewood for Chris Archer

It will take at least 2 top 100's including a top 25 or so to get Archer.

Then I would leave Yelich in LF fulltime, Cain in CF fulltime and have Braun & Phillips in a loose platoon in RF and Braun and Thames in a loose platoon at 1B

While maybe not this exact plan, I think something like this is the only way for Archer to be a Brewer. Use Santana to replenish the farm system and then spin some of them (as well as ours) to Tampa for Archer.

Archived