Brewer Fanatic

What's Next

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing to note with 1B talk is that if Walker is signed he can be the lefty backup for first. So if they do go the Braun route at 1B, if you have Walker you can then more easily trade Thames rather than keeping both he and Jesus. Walker fills in when Braun is out and one of the Sogard/Villar/Perez take 2B

This is an honest question but I get the feeling that some of you believe this. Does anyone think they have enough pitching right now? I, obviously, believe they need at least one starter and probably two.

I believe they get at least one more starter. Probably by trading Santana. At this point wouldn't be shocked if they signed a FA as well. The last 24 hours have really confused my expectations.

I would be shocked if we got two more starters. Getting one firmly puts Hader/Suter into the pen (which seems likely at this point). Getting a second puts Woodruff to AAA to start the season and then if/when Nelson comes back, puts Chacin/Davies to the pen. That seems like two many quality pitchers to manage. I know you can never have too much pitching but with the Nelson complications and solid AAA depth already (Burnes, Ortiz, Wilkerson), I don't think a second starting pitcher is a good use of resources. Odds are, next year we could be trading 1 or 2 of our starters because we don't have room for them.

This is an honest question but I get the feeling that some of you believe this. Does anyone think they have enough pitching right now? I, obviously, believe they need at least one starter and probably two.

I believe they get at least one more starter. Probably by trading Santana. At this point wouldn't be shocked if they signed a FA as well. The last 24 hours have really confused my expectations.

I would be shocked if we got two more starters. Getting one firmly puts Hader/Suter into the pen (which seems likely at this point). Getting a second puts Woodruff to AAA to start the season and then if/when Nelson comes back, puts Chacin/Davies to the pen. That seems like two many quality pitchers to manage. I know you can never have too much pitching but with the Nelson complications and solid AAA depth already (Burnes, Ortiz, Wilkerson), I don't think a second starting pitcher is a good use of resources. Odds are, next year we could be trading 1 or 2 of our starters because we don't have room for them.

This sounds like a lovely problem!

I never thought id see a day that we can talk about the brewers having TOO much pitching :laughing

Let's just get one more pitcher and worry about the second, if even needed, after that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes they need 1 more Starter, but not 2. If they don't trade Santana for a SP, you have Burnes or Woodruff to go with Thames/Aguilar in a deal to acquire a SP. I do not however think they need 2 SPs to start this year.

As to the Bullpen concerns, Hader solves 80% of those concerns to me. Hader/Kneble duo is as good as you can ask for. If they are shutting down the 8th/9th innings, Playing guys like Williams, Suter, Barnes, and Jeffress is average enough. It's funny to just read everyone wanting More, More, More like unless all 25 aren't ASs we need to find another.

Keep santana

1 sp fa

Walker

Cut Gallardo now and sign an upside bp arm like Oh 1 year. Williams houser Ramirez all to CS... leverage innings.

Is that asking too much? We can even trade Villar and Broxton away for lottery tickets.

Just throwing this out there... I know HH mentioned that there was contract issues when discussing the possible trade that was first mentioned by crasnick... Of course, Yelich was acquired after that, but maybe that wasn't the first trade that was being discussed... if we're looking at an AL team who may have contract issues to sort through, we could be talking about the Tigers and a possible deal involving Ian Kinsler, who had Milwaukee on his no-trade list. Not my favorite choice by a long shot, but something to mull over if Fullmer is in the mix...

Just throwing this out there... I know HH mentioned that there was contract issues when discussing the possible trade that was first mentioned by crasnick... Of course, Yelich was acquired after that, but maybe that wasn't the first trade that was being discussed... if we're looking at an AL team who may have contract issues to sort through, we could be talking about the Tigers and a possible deal involving Ian Kinsler, who had Milwaukee on his no-trade list. Not my favorite choice by a long shot, but something to mull over if Fullmer is in the mix...

Kinsler was scooped up by the Angels already...

Side note. Does anyone know when single games brewers tickets become available? Haven’t seen it in other threads or online.

I e-mailed my group rep. and she thought single game tickets would begin being sold at Miller Park/online on Sat., Feb. 17. That seems a week early to me, but that is what she e-mailed back. I also asked about the Arctic Tailgate event that had been going on that first day of sales until last year. She said that the Brewers are in discussion on that topic. My guess is that it comes back, partly because of the hype generated from the acquisitions yesterday (and this weekend, probably).

Any thoughts on acquiring Salazar to be the 8th inning guy and then signing Cobb to fill out the rotation? Not that I am saying it is a great idea but Salazar did pitch out of the pen a little bit last season.

Yes they need 1 more Starter, but not 2. If they don't trade Santana for a SP, you have Burnes or Woodruff to go with Thames/Aguilar in a deal to acquire a SP. I do not however think they need 2 SPs to start this year.

As to the Bullpen concerns, Hader solves 80% of those concerns to me. Hader/Kneble duo is as good as you can ask for. If they are shutting down the 8th/9th innings, Playing guys like Williams, Suter, Barnes, and Jeffress is average enough. It's funny to just read everyone wanting More, More, More like unless all 25 aren't ASs we need to find another.

Keep santana

1 sp fa

Walker

Cut Gallardo now and sign an upside bp arm like Oh 1 year. Williams houser Ramirez all to CS... leverage innings.

Is that asking too much? We can even trade Villar and Broxton away for lottery tickets.

I don't have any real feelings on Gallardo making OD.

Signing Oh would be on a cheaper deal as who do you think he is? Rookie year performer? Or Last year's AAAA RP(after the league had a year to adjust?) He'll be 35 and I would be inclined more on the 2nd performer over the 1st.

Walker plus a FA SP is a large expense. 1 I can see happening, but not both with Cain's signing.

Really just have to see what the next move is on a SP or a 2b?

Signing Oh would be on a cheaper deal as who do you think he is? Rookie year performer? Or Last year's AAAA RP(after the league had a year to adjust?) He'll be 35 and I would be inclined more on the 2nd performer over the 1st.

Walker plus a FA SP is a large expense. 1 I can see happening, but not both with Cain's signing.

I know I'm in the deep minority here but I keep Villar.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I know I'm in the deep minority here but I keep Villar.

I'm with you.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Side note. Does anyone know when single games brewers tickets become available? Haven’t seen it in other threads or online.

I e-mailed my group rep. and she thought single game tickets would begin being sold at Miller Park/online on Sat., Feb. 17. That seems a week early to me, but that is what she e-mailed back. I also asked about the Arctic Tailgate event that had been going on that first day of sales until last year. She said that the Brewers are in discussion on that topic. My guess is that it comes back, partly because of the hype generated from the acquisitions yesterday (and this weekend, probably).

Thank you!!

I never thought id see a day that we can talk about the brewers having TOO much pitching :laughing

6 man rotation out of the question?

7 mans not out of the question with 1 add Nelson and Burnes.

Nelson cobb anderson davies woodruff burnes chacin

People who want 2 baffle me. We add 1 and Nelson comes back well we possibly watch as Woodruff burnes and ortiz start in CS waiting for chacin to move along. The part of this offseason that has me most excited is tgat we haven't burned a single elite arm. Yamamoto Ponce Murphy Lemons Kodi Bickford level sure 1. Ortiz woodruff burnes peralta all hanging tough. It almost feels as if our GM is trying to be TB or something.

Draft bats, trade bats... collect arms, keep arms. Positive results or not I like it!

6 man rotation out of the question?

7 mans not out of the question with 1 add Nelson and Burnes.

Yes it is.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

People who want 2 baffle me. We add 1 and Nelson comes back well we possibly watch as Woodruff burnes and ortiz start in CS waiting for chacin to move along. The part of this offseason that has me most excited is tgat we haven't burned a single elite arm. Yamamoto Ponce Murphy Lemons Kodi Bickford level sure 1. Ortiz woodruff burnes peralta all hanging tough. It almost feels as if our GM is trying to be TB or something.

We have depth in the rotation, but we definitely need better arms at the top of the rotation. I posted this in another thread, but here's what the ZiPS projections look like for our pitchers vs. the ones we're talking about:

[pre]Player ERA FIP K/9 BB/9 ERA+

Nelson 3.74 3.79 9.1 3.1 115

Davies 4.05 4.06 6.8 2.6 108

Woodruff 4.17 4.17 8.2 3.2 103

Anderson 4.32 4.48 7.9 2.9 100

Suter 4.41 4.41 7.2 2.6 98

Chacin 4.77 4.68 7.5 3.8 90

Player ERA FIP K/9 BB/9 ERA+

Archer 3.27 3.10 10.6 2.7 125

Stroman 3.54 3.47 7.8 2.5 121

Salazar 3.60 3.48 11.2 3.5 117

Duffy 3.78 3.86 8.2 2.5 112

Player ERA FIP K/9 BB/9 ERA+

Darvish 3.24 3.22 11.0 2.7 127

Arrieta 3.53 4.16 8.7 2.9 123 ('17 numbers, '18 ZiPS not available yet)

Cobb 3.77 4.00 6.7 2.3 108

Lynn 3.82 4.25 7.7 3.7 106[/pre]

If we can grab two of those arms to put at the top of the rotation it'd be a huge upgrade, especially for a potential postseason run. That may be getting ahead of ourselves a bit, but that's the point of all this right? If the prospects are pushing their way onto the roster, that's great and we have a depth of quality arms to deal to replenish the farm or other areas (just as we've created with the outfield). But right now we don't have a 1-2-3 punch that I would feel good going into the playoffs with. I would be surprised if we actually landed two more pitchers, but I can definitely see where some see the need is coming from.

Archived