Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

I guess if there were going to do something like this, you just cross your fingers and hope they get good value even if you don't agree with the vision. I'm confident they did that, as I believe Yelich will have more value at this time next year and the prospect package the Brewers gave will have less. At least this is probably reversible if it doesn't work out. I love Yelich's contract, age, and all-around game, and I believe he will put up big numbers at Miller Park. Isn't Miami known for being harder on LHB's?

Not sure they can compete even with Yelich and Cain, but I do appreciate the fact that they're targeting much better all-around players. I think there are some intangibles you get from good base-running and patience at the plate and defensive versatility that still aren't fully captured by analytics, such as being able to do different switches and maybe carry 13 pitchers. I probably wouldn't have done this, but I love this roster make-up and will thoroughly enjoy watching them next year. Hopefully this means Braun to 1b and some rf.

Pina/Vogt

Thames/Braun

Villar/Sogard

Arcia/Sogard

Shaw/Perez

Yelich/Perez

Cain/Phillips

Phillips/Braun

Santana for prospects or a sp?

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you dislike giving up prospects, the Brewers were going to face a 40-man roster crunch next offseason. They either had to trade some prospects before the Rule 5 draft, or risk losing some for no return in the Rule 5 draft. Trades had to happen.

Just some past commentary from Baseball America's Prospect Handbooks on Yelich's arm-strength.

2011 - The Marlins will try him in center field in 2011, though he'll likely settle on a corner. His arm was a question going into the draft, but Florida tweaked his mechanics and believes his throwing can become at least close to average.

2012 - His raw arm strength is average, though his throwing is hindered by poor mechanics and a long arm stroke, which Miami believes can be ironed out. (Arm = 45).

2013 - A long arm stroke has hampered his throwing since high school, but extra repetitions and improved footwork means his arm plays as average.

Biggest commentary on his arm would have to be that he played 5560 innings in the Marlin's outfield and did not have 1 inning as a right fielder. Obviously Stanton was there, but at the same time, Stanton was hurt a lot and it's pretty surprising that Yelich never played a single inning there. Will be interesting to see if the Brewers try Yelich as a right fielder, or if they put him in center and put Cain in right which wouldn't make much sense since Cain is probably the better centerfielder. I suppose I could hope beyond hope that the Brewers actually found a taker for Braun and Braun would approve the trade.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If you dislike giving up prospects, the Brewers were going to face a 40-man roster crunch next offseason.

No they don't.

Can someone please elaborate? That would help.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm thrilled with the deal and everyone should be too.

Brinson is good but there is a real risk of being a but here and you should be fine giving him for a major star in Yelich.

Diaz is a Home Run hitter that can't hit. you can easily replace that anywhere.

Harrison might be the same as Diaz but could be better although I wouldn't say he's proven it yet.

Yamamoto can't be call anymore then a wild card right now. He may work out for them or he may not.

So it's one I can accept.

If you dislike giving up prospects, the Brewers were going to face a 40-man roster crunch next offseason.

No they don't.

Can someone please elaborate? That would help.

I did in the other thread. I'll look for it.

Edit:

I see this but do we really need to cash in on our prospects?

https://twitter.com/BrewersFarm/status/ ... 72/photo/1

Out of that list I'd protect

Bickford

Derby

maybe Pennington but we were willing to lose a similar type prospect in Diaz with no roster crunch

Ortiz

Ponce

Supak

Yamamoto (maybe)

Medeiros

Diaz

Gatewood

Harrison

Stokes

So that's 11 guys at most. We currently have a full 40 man but it will likely drop to 39 when Wang goes to Korea. Gallardo and Logan are on one year contracts. If Guerra doesn't pitch well this year, he's likely off the 40 man. We could easily dump Tyler Webb, Oliver Drake and Aaron Wilkerson. We have 5 catchers on the 40 man. Vogt was on the bubble this year and could be on the chopping block and we could still get rid of one of Bandy, Pina and Susac on top of that. If Villar has another bad year, he's probably going to be non-tendered. Depending on cost one of Sogard and Perez could be non-tendered as well. Broxton may very well be traded or non-tendered if he's on the team for the entire year

I've already dropped our current 40 man roster down to 28 with little to no value lost. We would probably sign a couple of guys to fill major league roles but guys like Dubon who is already on the 40 man could fill a role left by Sogard, Villar or Perez. We still have a ton of outfield depth we wouldn't need to sign a Broxton replacement. Williams, Knebel, Hader, Houser, Barnes, Jeffress is a mostly filled bullpen. You might not even have to sign anyone and just see if guys like Derby and Medeiros are ready.

Davies, Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Woodruff is your rotation, with Bickford, Ortiz, Peralta waiting in the wings. You might have to add Burnes to the 40 man because he might force his way to the majors. Of course if you do add Burnes, then someone is pushed to the bullpen and your need to sign another bullpen arm isn't there leaving you in the same spot you were.

So tell me where this roster crunch with the 40 man is? We still have a ton of crap on the roster that can be replaced. We might be at risk of losing a guy like Pennington but like I said, we were already willing to lose a similar prospect with no 40 man crunch.

At least Brinson gets a chance now.

It is exciting for him, I would imagine. He grew up a Marlins fan in South Florida, and will almost certainly be their starting CF on opening day.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The strategy, as discussed above, appears a lead off hitter, improved defense and fewer strikeouts, which they've accomplished.

I wouldn't evaluate the moves until the whole picture is clarified by follow up moves. Unlikely they aren't part of the plan.

Aww man Not Harrison. Ill have a Fancrush on him throughout his career. Diaz made perfect sense. This trade overall makes an even sense personally. With Miami potential to win it overall.

Breathe, but Yelich is special. Theyll say 4WAR for 5 years, but im going 5.5 avg next 5 years. Yelich will win a batting title here 1 year just watch. What an Addition to the lineup!

Aww man Not Harrison. Ill have a Fancrush on him throughout his career. Diaz made perfect sense. This trade overall makes an even sense personally. With Miami potential to win it overall.

Breathe, but Yelich is special. Theyll say 4WAR for 5 years, but im going 5.5 avg next 5 years. Yelich will win a batting title here 1 year just watch. What an Addition to the lineup!

26 27 28 29 30... it's literally the perfect age window. He hasn't been a bad player any year and he broke in at 22.

got home from work to see this. Happy. but part of me is sad. I was thrilled when Sterns got Brinson for Lucroy. As I posted in the trade proposal thread, I really wanted to see how this rebuild played out. 5 years of Yelich in his prime, My co-worked Mr. Huge Cub fan is... (lets just say, not happy) which is probably why I like this trade the most. :)

I have been selling Yelich hard since Marlins changed ownership and am to the moon excited for him to be here. I believe fully in his talent! We have him at a good price through the prime he is about to enter in a year or two. People are worried about producing runs if we trade Domingo but I legit think Yelich is a 20/20 hitter next year for the crew and would not be shocked if he hits 30/30 in the next 5 years. We can talk up and down about Brinson's potential but Yelich is a rising star right now with a proven track record of success. Maybe Brinson, Diaz, and Harrison star for them 3-4 years from now but we want to compete now. I am usually #1 prospect homer on this site but there are very few players in baseball that I don't even flinch at giving them up for. Yelich is one.

Welcome aboard!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Found these to be two interesting reads on Yelich's defense. Have to think in the corner in Miller Park his defensive WAR will have major jump.

https://www.fishstripes.com/2017/9/8/16269790/christian-yelichs-gold-glove-conundrum-rich-waltz-todd-hollandsworth

https://www.fishstripes.com/2017/10/27/16559592/in-record-defensive-year-yelich-overlooked

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Lists discussing no upcoming 40 man roster crunch fail to include guys like burnes and hiura, or some other very young prospects who will force their way towards mlb quickly if injuries don't derail them. This trade reminds me of what Houston did to stay ahead of their own 40 man issues before some of their older prospects got crunched out.

This trade clears 3 players from that 40 man issue (diaz, brinson, and harrison), and replaces them with 5 years of a great all around outfielder in his prime at a bargain price. It's a great trade unless you overvalue prospects and don't realize that the brewers minor league cup board is far from bare.

Well, I'll give credit where it is due. HighHeat19 nailed this one. I was getting frustrated by the lack of info coming out on it, but it happened nearly exactly as he said it would, right down to the return stinging. I imagine that Yamamoto was the sweetener on the deal.

I really like the deal. Yes, we gave up up some great prospects, but that's exactly what they are - prospects. Not sure things. Also, we greatly improve the major league squad without giving up any major league talent. In fact, other than Brinson, the prospects given up were all several years from being major league contributors. And Brinson wasn't even a sure thing for this year. I would have loved to see what he could do if given the chance, but I'm more than happy with Yelich and Cain making up 2/3 of the outfield. I imagine Phillips will take over for Braun eventually as well, leaving a very skilled, athletic outfield.

A couple of small problems trwi7:

1) You have 12 guys on your list, not 11

B) If you dump the guys you say you will dump, you will only have one backup 2B/3B/SS on the 40. No one to call up in case of injury.

3) If you get rid of two catchers, Nottingham is the only backup on the 40 (and he is nowhere near ready yet).

4) If you trade Broxton you might have to add that player to the 40.

We also have significantly different views on the value of Pennington and Wilkerson. I strongly disagree with the notion that those guys will be given away for nothing. I also think Perrin has value as a cheap 5th starter.

Other than that, you're spot on...

Archived