Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110
Whatever the results of this trade, it’s a bold move, and I love the effort.

If you love it, then you see what I see in Yelich. If you hate it, then you see what I see in those kids.

I won’t be surprised if both points of view are proven to be valid.

Quit with this level-headed reason! This is a time for hysterics!! I HATE IT I LOVE IT I HATE IT I LOVE IT.

Just teasing. There was no way we were getting Yelich without getting stun a bit. It's ok to be happy and sad about the deal. Without a major regression from Shaw and assuming at least a minimal rebound from Villar ... Milwaukee's lineup is going to be really, really competent.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned this in the trade thread but Yelich is bottom 5 among all OF in arm rating by both DRS & UZR since his debut in 2013. He has never played an inning in RF in either the minors or majors. I do not believe he is an option in RF.

If we do end up rolling with a primary OF of Braun/Yelich/Santana, I'd imagine that projects as one of the worst defensive OFs in MLB.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Right now Yelich is a top 30 offensive player with potential upside. I think people are really underrating him.

If you go by wRC+ he was 59th this year, 23rd last year, 46th in 2015 and and 48th in 2014. If you go by wOBA he was 45th in 2014, 50th in 2015, 29th in 2016 and 58th in 2017.

One year out of four in the top 30 and all of a sudden he's a top 30 offensive player?

Sorry, top 30 player....if you go by total WAR. He's good at defense.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Mentioned this in the trade thread but Yelich is bottom 5 among all OF in arm rating by both DRS & UZR since his debut in 2013. He has never played an inning in RF in either the minors or majors. I do not believe he is an option in RF.

If we do end up rolling with a primary OF of Braun/Yelich/Santana, I'd imagine that projects as one of the worst defensive OFs in MLB.

Yelich won a Gold Glove 2 years ago. I'd challenge that projection.

Yelich won a Gold Glove 2 years ago. I'd challenge that projection.

I'd be willing to bet that isn't the opening day OF.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

After seeing Stearns comments on this, it's clear he's keeping any future moves very close to the vest. It will be interesting to see what the next chip to fall may be. I mean this has to be the "trade A" HH19 was telling us about earlier this week right? So this must cause a domino effect at some level. Can't go into this year with Yelich/Braun/Santana/Phillips/Broxton right?

I'd like to see Broxton go for some prospects.

Braun in left, Yelich in center, Santana in right. Or Santana in center and Yelich in right. Phillips as 4th OF.

Well from everything I've read yelich doesn't have the arm for RF and I'd really prefer not to see santana in extended time at CF.

If we are in on Cain I assume 1 thing and 1 of 2 others. We add cain santana has a deal already inplace and that's a near given. Then Braun splits rf with phillips or moves to 1b. Yelich Cain Phillips is fantastic defensively. Yelich Cain Braun/Phillips works... especially with phillips D subing every late game.

If Braun returns to his 2016 form, then those three starting with Phillips as 4th OF is something the Brewers should gladly be willing to roll with.

After seeing Stearns comments on this, it's clear he's keeping any future moves very close to the vest. It will be interesting to see what the next chip to fall may be. I mean this has to be the "trade A" HH19 was telling us about earlier this week right? So this must cause a domino effect at some level. Can't go into this year with Yelich/Braun/Santana/Phillips/Broxton right?

Braun in left, Yelich in center, Santana in right. Or Santana in center and Yelich in right. Phillips as 4th OF.

Santana in CF? Oh boy, no way, no how, not even a consideration.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not now it isn't.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If Huira and Lutz prove to be wise selections who can advance to the bigs in 3 years or less at 2B and RF then this won't hurt.

I have no concerns with what yelich will do

Career...

Home 278/363/759

Road 301/374/839

Last 2 39 hr

Home 15

Road 24

300/365/820 and 25 hr... yeah

Agreed.

My big worry is this: On a team that struggles to get players on base, two of the three players with the best OBP skills in the system are now gone. Michael Reed went to Atlanta as a six-year free agent and Isan Diaz has been dealt for Yelich.

That leaves Trent Grisham, who led the entire system in walks. Stokes is a close second, and I think his track record of staying healthy and his "almost Harrison" numbers last year made Harrison a "sell high" candidate. Hopefully, the June draft will see the Crew get more, or some players will develop that skill better. But that skill in the system has taken a big hit now.

You want OBP... well we just got cain and added yelich. That's 2 360 obp types for years.

Three of the four players the Brewers gave up have not proven anything above high-A.

The fourth put up big numbers in Colorado Springs the last two years with an extremely high BABIP (.377 in 2017, .455 in 2016).

"High risk prospects" is a very accurate label.

The real evaluation is what additional deals are made as a result of this (specifically Santana to Cleveland for Salazar/Kipnis/prospect).

I dislike the move but would classify it as a small bargain for the Brewers. If Yelich is projected as a 4 WAR player over each of the next five years his surplus value is a bit over 150 million. Obviously he wasn't going to get that type of return. I figured the Marlins would ask the opposing team to take on Martin Prado's contract and if that wouldn't happen then the team getting Yelich would be looking at giving up somewhere from 120-130 million in surplus value for Yelich. I'd estimate the Brewers gave up 110 million here so it definitely in the ballpark but a bit under my projection. If the Brewers had added in one more player like Freddy Peralta it would have pretty much been as expected.

I just don't understand why, with investing so much in bats when it comes to the draft and international signings, that the Brewers used what was by far their biggest trade chip for a bat. No way I would have moved Brinson unless I was getting some top end pitching back. I like Yelich but don't like this move by the Brewers.

Not now it isn't.

Never was.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Rosenthal gets 6 figures. Can I at least get a hat or maybe even a pen?

The fact that the Brewers made a serious offer for Yelich and the fact that the trade went through were both broken elsewhere. Thus, I'm afraid to say, you must remain hatless.

Thanks for the fun over the last few days though, whether any of it was true or not :laughing

Alright HH, willing to chip in for your hat and pen now.

I think arm in RF is overrated. I want guys that can catch the ball and cutoff things. How often does a big arm in RF really help? 5-10 times in a season?

At first glimpse, we gave up a ton. However, this is a good prospect trade. We may have just given the Marlins 3 all-stars and a solid 3rd starter. Then again, they could all flop

Archived