Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

Both Brinson and Diaz are at risk of losing some of their trade value a year from now if they repeat their 2017 seasons in 2018. Brinson has to prove he can hit MLB pitching and can stay healthy. I like

Hiura a lot more than Diaz. When we drafted Hiura, that was an indication that Diaz might become trade bait.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Huira and Lutz prove to be wise selections who can advance to the bigs in 3 years or less at 2B and RF then this won't hurt.

I have no concerns with what yelich will do

Career...

Home 278/363/759

Road 301/374/839

Last 2 39 hr

Home 15

Road 24

300/365/820 and 25 hr... yeah

Agreed.

My big worry is this: On a team that struggles to get players on base, two of the three players with the best OBP skills in the system are now gone. Michael Reed went to Atlanta as a six-year free agent and Isan Diaz has been dealt for Yelich.

That leaves Trent Grisham, who led the entire system in walks. Stokes is a close second, and I think his track record of staying healthy and his "almost Harrison" numbers last year made Harrison a "sell high" candidate. Hopefully, the June draft will see the Crew get more, or some players will develop that skill better. But that skill in the system has taken a big hit now.

I think this is a fair deal. Yelich is really talented/young, and we improved our glut of outfielders in the minors. Not to mention that Diaz doesn't have a place on this team if Arcia/Hiura are as good as we think.

After seeing Stearns comments on this, it's clear he's keeping any future moves very close to the vest. It will be interesting to see what the next chip to fall may be. I mean this has to be the "trade A" HH19 was telling us about earlier this week right? So this must cause a domino effect at some level. Can't go into this year with Yelich/Braun/Santana/Phillips/Broxton right?

I'd like to see Broxton go for some prospects.

Braun in left, Yelich in center, Santana in right. Or Santana in center and Yelich in right. Phillips as 4th OF.

Couple questions pop up right away.

1) Another trade has to follow this, yes? We are still 5 deep in the outfield. Will it be a minor move with Broxton or a major one with Santana? My guess is Santana is the guy to go as we would be selling high on him and we would be selling low on Broxton.

2) Where is he playing? Right now, he is in CF with Santana/Braun in the corners. If Santana is moved... does Braun slide to right so Yelich can play his gold glove position?

3) I may be wrong here, but Yelich seems like a perfect #2 hitter to me and I think most are going to pencil him into the lead off spot. Is Villar going to be given a shot to take the lead off spot initially with a Yelich/Braun/Shaw/Santana/Thames follow up? I'm mentally preparing for a Santana trade ... but as it currently stands that 2-6 is pretty nasty.

I love Yelich in Milwaukee. I think we just added an MVP candidate for the next 3+ years.

Right now Yelich is a top 30 offensive player with potential upside. I think people are really underrating him.

If you go by wRC+ he was 59th this year, 23rd last year, 46th in 2015 and and 48th in 2014. If you go by wOBA he was 45th in 2014, 50th in 2015, 29th in 2016 and 58th in 2017.

One year out of four in the top 30 and all of a sudden he's a top 30 offensive player?

I don't think they're going to add a SP because I think for the first time in my living memory we have a competent GM who realizes a guy like Lance Lynn is not going to be good value. Yelich is a player who upgrades the team now in case the Brewers are competitive in 2018, and who also helps us 2-3 years from now when our top SP prospects (who were kept out of the trade package) start hitting their stride in the majors.

2020 Lineup

C Pina

1B Braun

2B Hiura

3B Shaw

SS Arcia

LF Phillips

CF Yelich

RF Santana

SP Nelson

SP Hader

SP Woodruff

SP Burnes

SP Ortiz

SP Anderson

SP Davies

One thing to note regarding giving up Brinson and Harrison. If the supposed Cain signing also happens it basically locks all 3 OF spots for the next 3-4 years. So OF prospects become expendable a touch as you have time to get new ones or lower level guys to step up.

Also, of folks talking like Santana is going to bring back these top P prospects. Thinkg about it this way, Miami couldn't get top pitching prospects back for Yelich. So, wouldn't surprise me if you end having to kick in other prospects with Santana if you're getting back an MLB ready P and/or several prospects as some have brought up. We'll see soon, I think he gets traded. Although I'm not opposed to just keeping him and playing Yelich in CF and see what happens. Simply sign Cobb and Walker and see what happens. Walker/Yelich would give you a lot of the contact that hurt us last year.

He was 23rd in WAR last season and is now moving to a hitter's park. I now prefer to trade Santana, move Yelich to right, and platoon Phillips and Broxton in center. That would be a significant improvement on last year's outfield defense.

Man I really wish Braun would (could) make a nearly full time move to 1b.

Yelich phillips/broxton santana with a braun/thames platoon 50/50 (thames only vs rh) with heavy ph usage. Braun can play some lf to randomly rest yelich.

Then again, santana for salazar and giving phillips rf would help the defense and really solidify the staff.

My first reaction is that I like it. I believe Yelich is going to be huge playing half his games at Miller Park. He is going to make our offense dangerous and I think more consistent.

Losing Harrison and Diaz in addition to Brinson hurts, but again Yelich is a 5 win player. You have to give to get. We have no idea how they will ultimately turn out as ball players.

They next move is going to be key. You have to imagine an outfielder is going. Or maybe Braun does move to first and Thames is gone. Interesting to see if we try to rebuild farm system depth or acquire a MLB level talent. 2nd and another Starter would be most logical acquisitions. Wouldn't be surprised if one was a trade and one via free agency.

I don't think they're going to add a SP because I think for the first time in my living memory we have a competent GM who realizes a guy like Lance Lynn is not going to be good value. Yelich is a player who upgrades the team now in case the Brewers are competitive in 2018, and who also helps us 2-3 years from now when our top SP prospects (who were kept out of the trade package) start hitting their stride in the majors.

2020 Lineup

C Pina

1B Braun

2B Hiura

3B Shaw

SS Arcia

LF Phillips

CF Yelich

RF Santana

SP Nelson

SP Hader

SP Woodruff

SP Burnes

SP Ortiz

SP Anderson

SP Davies

I would be stunned if they didn't add starting pitching.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I think this is a fair deal. Yelich is really talented/young, and we improved our glut of outfielders in the minors. Not to mention that Diaz doesn't have a place on this team if Arcia/Hiura are as good as we think.

My problem is, I question whether Arcia is going to progress past being a good field-no hit SS.

His walk rate regressed from 2016 to 2017. Playing half his games in one of the most hitter-friendly parks in professional baseball (Colorado Springs), he posted a .723 OPS. His 2017 numbers were bouyed by an OPS of .848 in the month of June. His OPS never cracked .760 in any of the other months of that season.

Diaz could play short, had a good bat... and was an insurance policy if Arcia's bat doesn't improve.

2020 Lineup

C Pina

1B Braun

2B Hiura

3B Shaw

SS Arcia

LF Phillips

CF Yelich

RF Santana

SP Nelson

SP Hader

SP Woodruff

SP Burnes

SP Ortiz

SP Anderson

SP Davies

I would be stunned if they didn't add starting pitching.

Well they already added a decent guy, Chacin. I guess the question is whether they sign one of the "big 4" free agents left (Darvis, Arreita, Lynn, Cobb), and since Darvish isn't coming here I hope the answer to the other three is no.

Word is that the Brewers are still trying to sign Lorenzo Cain.

if so, that probably means Santana is on the move.

Is this from your source or did you get it from somewhere online?

Rosenthal is reporting they are still in on Cain.

Love this move, as burnes and hiura are still brewers, and yelich fills key of spot for the next 5 seasons at a good price.

The brewers gave up some prospects that are boom/bust potential, and I wish them well in miami. Truth is that if any of the players dealt wind up being as good as yelich in their mlb careers, it will be a surprise, and this trade is for 5 years of yelich, not 1 or 2!

Whatever the results of this trade, it’s a bold move, and I love the effort.

If you love it, then you see what I see in Yelich. If you hate it, then you see what I see in those kids.

I won’t be surprised if both points of view are proven to be valid.

Whatever the results of this trade, it’s a bold move, and I love the effort.

If you love it, then you see what I see in Yelich. If you hate it, then you see what I see in those kids.

I won’t be surprised if both points of view are proven to be valid.

Which makes it a darn good trade.

I'm pretty thrilled with this. I'm really happy we gave up no pitching of note. Yamamoto has 4th starter potential, but he's a long way from reaching it.

Despite my avatar, the more I think about Brinson the less I like him. I'm really worried about his ability to stay healthy, or lack thereof.

Diaz has a chance to be a good player, but I think he's pretty clearly our 2nd best 2b prospect. He could've been used as a trade chip later, but I won't lose any sleep over losing him.

Harrison has the highest ceiling, and when I first heard Brinson, Diaz and 2 others, I was completely thrilled. When i heard Harrison's name I was less so. It scares me to give him up. I think he's unlikely to hit his ceiling, but his ceiling is super-high.

Yelich is going to be great here. His power numbers are going to skyrocket in my opinion and hopefully having less ground to cover in center will pull him up to average in cf [unless Cain is incoming]. He is exactly what I feel this team needed in a 2/3 hitter. High OBP, good power and good wheels. And left handed on top of it. He is the perfect offensive addition and he's ours for 5 years pretty cheap.

I can certainly understand why some people dislike this deal, but I feel like they'll be over it by Memorial Day. He's going to be a joy to watch

Archived