Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

I definitely expect some other type of major move. Whether that is a SP signing or trading Santana to recoup prospects and sign a Cain.

Everyone everyone complains we don’t have that special bat in our order and we lacked “special” guys. Well here you guys go. We still have a solid farm to boot.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hot Take Alert: In 5 years I think we will look back at losing Isan Diaz as more cringe worthy than Monte Harrison.

That being said, I have no problem giving up good value to get good value. FIVE years of a very good baseball player in his prime is worth this prospect package.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Reactions...

This is a let's win now move! We are looking to get better in the future and this year is part of that!

Our deep system could not be protected in the near future, and this is a part of the need to trade players to clear near future 40 man spots.

Would we rather have Yelich or Contreras (last year)? With Contreras last season, we probably make the playoffs. Yelich is top of the order bat we desperately need!

Our system is still ripe with prospects.

Right now Yelich is a top 30 offensive player with potential upside. I think people are really underrating him.

Actually I believe reading the posts that many fans are over-valuing the Brewer minor league prospects.

Personally I think it was a good trade for both sides & I hope it works out well for BOTH clubs but the risk is definitely on the Marlins..

I mean my plan for mke was pretty simple... get yelich and I'd overpay.

Well here we are. The 3 bats spook me. Diaz is soo raw but so highly touted even after a down year. Brinson I dont think will be yelich. I rest on this deal saying NO TOP ARMS and if we roll back Harrison 1 year I doubt anyone worries about his inclusion. Maybe he's a stud... maybe hes a 250/320 25 hr guy.

We know from past moves that Stearns/Milwaukee uses a projection model similar to KATOH. KATOH really dislikes Diaz (0.9 WAR over 6 years) and Harrison(0.6 WAR over 6 years). Diaz likely gets dinged just for the 2B but Harrison was both old for his level (he is only 9 months younger than Phillips) and had contact/pitch recognition issues in high A. Now KATOH does love Brinson with a 5.4 WAR over 6 years and like a ~35% chance of being a regular starter or better.

Getting five years of a player like Yelich for just two top 100 prospects (#18 and #75) is incredible. I think we all are overly attached and thus overvalue prospects like Diaz or Harrison. Great deal. Marlins remain incompetent.

We know from past moves that Stearns/Milwaukee uses a projection model similar to KATOH. KATOH really dislikes Diaz (0.9 WAR over 6 years) and Harrison(0.6 WAR over 6 years). Diaz likely gets dinged just for the 2B but Harrison was both old for his level (he is only 9 months younger than Phillips) and had contact/pitch recognition issues in high A. Now KATOH does love Brinson with a 5.4 WAR over 6 years and like a ~35% chance of being a regular starter or better.

This is a really good point regarding the KATOH projections aligning similarly to the players this Front Office has seemingly valued.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Wow...first glance I was shocked by the package expecting a lottery ticket back. I'm fine with losing Brinson and Diaz/Harrison are high risk prospects with big ceilings. I also liked the fact we did not give up our top arms. I love this trade and think the Brewers did very well. The timing of it is hopefully a positive sign to entice those remaining pitchers to see the Brewers are serious about investing in a winning team and want to be a part of it. I fully expect Santana to be traded for arms and probably some lower level prospect capital/lottery tickets.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Reactions...

This is a let's win now move!

It isn't even just that. Players like Yelish controllable for 5 years being shopped? That just does not happen. Getting the chance to add a player like that giving up high risk prospects(outside of Brinson) is pretty hard to pass up.

Brinson obviously is well regarded by everyone and Diaz has done things that make a decent prospect but you have to give to get.

Harrison has future bust written all over him and I've only seen Yamamoto mentioned as anything by a few posters here, so neither is a loss to me. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Nice assessment - I agree. Seems fair

Plus Diaz and Hiura can both only really play second. One of them had to go.

How do we even know Hiura can play 2B? Diaz stings.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewers just got a new face to the franchise. You give value to get value. Yelich is still young and if things don't go as planned, be flipped in two years. Harrison has superstar potential, but he has equal bust potential. Diaz/Hiura couldn't necessarily exist together and Diaz coming off of a down year. We also didn't mortgage any of the future pitching wise. Brinson will likely be a future all star, but he had some injury concern and you got a sure thing for him.

Short-term, this has to make every Brewers fan very excited. Domingo might wanna keep his phone close by these next few days though...

Right now Yelich is a top 30 offensive player with potential upside. I think people are really underrating him.

Miller Park will bring some huge benefits for Yelich, and I think we will be happy to have him for three years. maybe four on the outside (I assume he will be flipped later).

That said... the price tag is way high.

Brinson - I expected him to go, wasn't as high on him as some others here.

Diaz - I really liked his OBP skills. Trent Clark/Grisham or Michael Reed were the only two who were clearly better.

Harrison - In some ways, I am OK with this. He'd been hurt a lot before 2017, but I felt Stokes, Phillips, and Santana were all better. Stokes could very well be starting out in AAA this year.

Yamamoto - This one really stings. I had him ranked far above Ortiz, Peralta, and Ponce. He looked like a Davies type.

Honestly, I wish the Crew had taken Starlin Castro off the Marlins' hands and tried to use that to swap out Yamamoto for Bickford. They are also banking that Hirua's elbow doesn't go south on them.

Archived