Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

We acquired a player that has one of the top 30 highest trade values in baseball due to contract and control. It has been a while since Milwaukee has had an asset this valuable. If Stearns wanted he could turn around and trade him tomorrow for comparable value to what he just gave up.

Yelich is a very good baseball player under control for his age 26-30 seasons, and I will be shocked if he isn't a star in Milwaukee.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brinson obviously is well regarded by everyone and Diaz has done things that make a decent prospect but you have to give to get.

Harrison has future bust written all over him and I've only seen Yamamoto mentioned as anything by a few posters here, so neither is a loss to me. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Nice assessment - I agree. Seems fair

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Right now Yelich is a top 30 offensive player with potential upside. I think people are really underrating him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Piña

Nottingham

Thames

Aguilar

Villar

Dubon

Hiura

Arcia

Shaw

Erceg

Braun

Phillips

Brinson

Harrison

Santana

Broxton

Ray

Grisham

Gate wood

Diaz

That's 20 position players who will be with or could be with the major league club in 2020 before this trade. You can't keep or start them all. You have to be willing to trade a few away to improve the club.

So remove brinson Harrison and Diaz and add Yelich. We still have 18 potential players for our 2020 position player group. And that doesn't include some others we may pick up in subsequent trades.

I dismiss this notion of we have "x" number of players at a position, so big deal. Its is a big deal, you still want max return for them.

Look, I like Yelich. A lot. But no, I don't think he's special. Brinson/Diaz fine. Adding Harrison and Yamamoto (very underrated here) is a bridge too far.

Brinson obviously is well regarded by everyone and Diaz has done things that make a decent prospect but you have to give to get.

Harrison has future bust written all over him and I've only seen Yamamoto mentioned as anything by a few posters here, so neither is a loss to me. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Nice assessment - I agree. Seems fair

Plus Diaz and Hiura can both only really play second. One of them had to go.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Can't understand at all how anyone could possibly be upset with this?! A known commodity that is controllable for 5 years at a bargain price for prospects that might be great someday, or may not be. I'll take controllable known greatness over possible greatness any day.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Waiting to see the final details and subsequent moves. But first reaction to me is that I'm surprised and happy none of the top starting P prospects are involved, supposedly. That was my biggest fear on this

This is the key.

If we turn around and trade off Santana or Shaw(then sign Moustakas)we may recoup a bunch of what we just gave up.

I, for one, am happy to see Stearns realizes we are actually a good team and can legit contend in the next few years. If we can get a TOR starter, what's there to complain about? The Cubs and Cards are gettable, and once you get into the playoffs it's a crapshoot.

Harrison looks like he could very well be good, but guess what? We have Ray, Phillips, Gresham, Stokes , Lutz to possibly take his place. Diaz also looks like he could very well be good, but guess what? We have Dubon & Hiura.

Losing prospects is tough but we acquired an all-star caliber player with very team friendly deal.

Let's go win the darn division!!!

Of course Yelich is a special player. #23 in WAR in all of baseball last year, and he immediately becomes the Brewers' best player. This isn't a steal by any means, but it's a fair price, and they dealt from depth. They still have Broxton, Phillips, Braun, and Santana (for now) to go along with Yelich. And they didn't give up any of their top pitching. I'm excited--Yelich is great, and now they have their 1 or 2 hitter for the next five years who is just entering his prime.

OOF that stings. I was hoping they’d keep one of Brinson and Harrison. Oh well, at least Yelich is more of a sure thing and will be controlled for the next 5 years.

I’m not too bummed out about Yamamoto and Diaz, but Brinson AND Harrison stings. Granted, neither are guarantees to reach where Yelich is right now, but still hurts to see some talent leave.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd don't know how Rule 5/40 man plays into this....any chance the Brewers would have cut ties with one of these guys in the next year or two anyway?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think HH19 wrote it best a few days ago that this deal will sting. Good description.

As an outside person (neither club is "my team") I think the Marlins got back good value. Perhaps they could have held out for more (an upgrade over Yamamoto) but if that meant other pieces go with Yelich then they did fine. As it is they have now dealt the entire starting OF from 2017...

As for the Brewers they got an established player with a lot of control remaining & all they gave up was potential. Granted if 1 or more guys go onto HOF careers, its a lot to give up. That said, no one knows exactly how each prospect will work out.

Good move by both clubs..

I am assuming that Santana will be on the way out in the next couple days. This trade hurts right now, but Santana should recoup a couple top 100 prospects back. This will not be the last trade.

My opinion is that Stearns will go out and sign Alex Cobb in the next couple weeks. Looking forward to an exciting season!

I love getting Yelich but was really hoping Barraclough was also going to be in the deal. Oh well, having Yelich the next five years will be a lot of fun!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Waiting to see the final details and subsequent moves. But first reaction to me is that I'm surprised and happy none of the top starting P prospects are involved, supposedly. That was my biggest fear on this

My assessment as well. Yes, the cost 'stings.' But it stings on the non-pitching prospect side, which is where we can afford to have it sting. Yelich could be a superstar heading into his prime and playing 81 games at Miller Park. Don't undervalue what we've just received.

And the first point is correct as well. I'd bet nearly anything that this is the first in a string of moves. If this trade ends up being basically Santana for Yelich and Brinson/Diaz/Harrison/Yamamoto for 2 legit young, controlled arms, we win those moves pretty handily, IMO.

Archived