Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110
Not exactly sure where to put this, but has anybody else heard that Yelich figured something out this past offseason related to his struggles in 2020, but would not state what he discovered? On the pregame show today, Rock mentioned that Yelich was quoted stating so at some point. I recall watching analyses on him and the only thing noteworthy was his stance may have been slightly closer together than in the past.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not exactly sure where to put this, but has anybody else heard that Yelich figured something out this past offseason related to his struggles in 2020, but would not state what he discovered? On the pregame show today, Rock mentioned that Yelich was quoted stating so at some point. I recall watching analyses on him and the only thing noteworthy was his stance may have been slightly closer together than in the past.

[sarcasm]roids[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]roids[/sarcasm]

Damn hemorrhoids!

Hopefully he figured out it was trying to be more patient and letting the count get to two strikes. He was very pedestrian at best last year against two strike breaking balls. Go back to jumping on pitches and he is golden.

He was more passive at the start of the 2018 and 2019 seasons as well, before dialling in and starting to swing more. 2020 was an even more extreme version of that, and he never really got out of it.

What makes me not worry about him though is that while strikeouts are concerning, he also walked 7% more than his career average for the same reasons he struck out more. What held him back was a BABIP almost 100 points lower than his career average, despite hitting the ball harder than ever. Basically with even average luck, you'd ahve expected a BA (And thus OBP) 50+ points higher, and all of a sudden he's having a great season.

I think some of the passivity is warranted in that he's getting fewer pitches in the zone than almost anyone. Just needs to find that balance again, which I'm sure he will. The fact that he already transformed as a hitter once tells me he's capable of adjusting even more.

Archived