Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110
  • Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This being bumped made me go through the first pages, always fun to see reactions in hindsight. Mostly positive, some only cautiously so, some slightly negative and then there are those who absolutely hated it.

"Awful awful trade. I hate it. Dear god what an awful trade."

"Too much, hate this deal. Really hate it."

"I feel violated."

Not meant to call anyone out (Hence not quoting the actual posts with usernames), it's more about how different our views can be when we all have the same information to go on. But since it was mostly positive reactions, at least we were correct as a group in the end. Wade Miley signing thread is interesting as well, can't remember any thread with a wider gulf between the (hugely negative) reactions and the actual (very good) performance.

I was perhaps the biggest Wade Miley detractor. I absolutely hated that move. I hated the idea of him taking up a rotation spot. I thought he was done ... and that he wasn't any good to begin with. And I couldn't have been more wrong. Which is why I'm commenting on player moves on a internet message board, and not working for an MLB front office LOL.

I loved the Yelich trade at the time, but the deal certainly wasn't without risk, which I think was reflected in the comments of those posters who didn't approve.

Honestly, I think Yamamoto was the piece that I personally was most worried about coming back to potentially haunt us. Obviously I'm not excited that his career has stalled, but glad that the FO is seemingly really good at proper evaluation of the talent they give away in these deals...

Ok, I admit, I get attached to the guys that come through Appleton. Harrison spent a long time here, Diaz was so awesome here, it is impossible not to feel a bit jilted when he goes. I have no connection to Brinson, but as often as he is hurt, I'd rather he be someone else's problem. Yamamoto was also a fun guy to watch, and was hoping he'd stick too.

In the end, I'll get over it, and to be honest, I think the real loss is going to be Diaz, so it will be interesting 3 years from now to see where these 4 ended up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Yamamoto as a solid #3, Harrison and Brinson sharing 2/3 of the outfield, and Diaz being a rookie of the year type of player. They could all also tank, but again, highly doubt it.

Admitting I get attached to these guys is the first step in acceptance when they go. lol

My reaction after my first reactions...lol

Always interesting looking back, but it truly was a case of me being attached to the guys we traded, and watching them play a lot of games in Appleton... I had high hopes for all the guys that were traded away.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

WOW! Now the Yelich trade looks like a complete armed holdup. Yamamoto's big dip in velocity and disasterous 2020 caused the Marlins to worry about his past arm problems and DFA him. Brinson-Diaz-Harrison: all three have career batting averages below .200 and whiff at around the 30% rate. This could go down in baseball history as one of the worst, most lopsided trades ever.

WOW! Now the Yelich trade looks like a complete armed holdup. Yamamoto's big dip in velocity and disasterous 2020 caused the Marlins to worry about his past arm problems and DFA him. Brinson-Diaz-Harrison: all three have career batting averages below .200 and whiff at around the 30% rate. This could go down in baseball history as one of the worst, most lopsided trades ever.

I wouldn't go that far, yet.

There is still lots of time for any one of Harrison, Brinson, and/or Diaz to figure it out and be a stud.

That said, the early returns are looking good for Stearns.

After Yamamoto’s debut many felt like we gave up this stud pitcher and finally a piece that went to the Marlins was going to haunt us a bit....and now he is the first one DFA’d by them I believe.

I'm hoping we snag him and give him another shot with the Brewers...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The trade to get Hader feels a bit like this too with Carlos coming unraveled in Houston (even knowing what pitches were coming), although Mike Fiers ended up being a good player.

These trades are always in the back of my mind as we talk about Hader trade deals.

Honestly, I think Yamamoto was the piece that I personally was most worried about coming back to potentially haunt us. Obviously I'm not excited that his career has stalled, but glad that the FO is seemingly really good at proper evaluation of the talent they give away in these deals...

Diaz was that guy for me. Harrison and Brinson became no issue for me when Cain was signed because Yelich and Cain were going to be in the OF for the next 5 years. Lest we forget in 2016, Diaz had 20 HR and 11 SB and a slash of .264/.358/.827 in Appleton. While the AVG and power dropped slightly in Carolina, he skyrocketed in 2019 at New Orleans with a .305/.395/.973 line with 26 HR. It sure seemed like he was going to be an OBP machine with power ala Rickie Weeks. He's only going to be 25 this season so the potential is still there, but yeah the Brewers quite obviously won this deal...by a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
Still think putting Yelich back to RF would be a reasonable thing since he was so good at the plate both years in RF for the Brewers. If he struggles in April, I would be quick to move him back.

Yelich isn't a good defensive fit for RF. He just doesn't have the arm strength.

He played more innings in LF than RF in 2018 and he won an MVP that year. Whatever the reason for Yelich's struggles were last year, I don't think they had anything to do with the corner of the outfield that he was standing in.

I wouldn't go that far, yet.

There is still lots of time for any one of Harrison, Brinson, and/or Diaz to figure it out and be a stud.

That said, the early returns are looking good for Stearns.

I mean, Yelich won an MVP and probably would have won a 2nd had he not fouled a ball off his kneecap in his first two seasons with the Brewers.

Even if one of these three does figure it out and become a stud, the trade will remain highway robbery. And those prospects were already kind of long in the tooth to be considered prospects while they were with the Brewers three seasons ago.

Brinson is in pretty solid danger of being DFAed this year. I'm not saying that it's not possible for him to turn it around and have value but the "there's still lots of time" period has passed for him.

The utter failure of everyone in this trade for the Marlins is kind of incredible. Even Isan Diaz and Monte Harrison are getting pretty old. Both of those guys are going into their age 25 season. That is getting pretty old for guys that have been in pro ball their entire adult lives. It is a prove it year for all of those guys. If they can't be half competent this year they probably never will be.

The utter failure of everyone in this trade for the Marlins is kind of incredible. Even Isan Diaz and Monte Harrison are getting pretty old. Both of those guys are going into their age 25 season. That is getting pretty old for guys that have been in pro ball their entire adult lives. It is a prove it year for all of those guys. If they can't be half competent this year they probably never will be.

Still too early to tell.

I think at the end of 2021, we should have a pretty good read on Diaz and Harrison.

Brinson is baffling.

I thought this guy was going to be a staple in our OF, now it looks like he might have flamed out.

This is unfortunate. You always want to win a trade and not regret the pieces you traded away but the Brewers got a franchise icon for 4 guys who look like they may AAAA players. While I definitely thought Harrison and Yamamoto were not likely to be much at the MLB level (Harrison struck out too much and Yamamoto ceiling was a #4 or #5), Brinson and Diaz I thought were going to be Mike Cameron and Rickie Weeks types. It's not over but it's not looking likely.

Scanning the Marlins depth chart it looks like Diaz is probably in line to get most of the PAs at 2B this year.

For the OF my guess would be Dickerson, Marte & Duvall are the starters with Brinson, Harrison & Magneuris Sierra battling for the 4th OF spot.

Archived